Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Orbea Orca Crank Replacement

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-20, 02:35 PM
JayBarn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I need some help. I have an Orbea Orca 10speed about 10 or so years old. I got it used so I didnot order the components. The crank is a FSA carbon 52/39 175mm arms. I have always rode 170mm on a road bike but thought I would give it a try. I never felt I could find a gear I liked always shifting around. Then one day I rode my back up bike. with 170 crank arms and loved it. So I want to conver the Orbea. I pulled the crank and stamped on the spindle is A3030-127.

Sooooo... What do I look for in the crank sizing. Orbea support was not helpful told me to pull the BB and measure it. Welll sad to say in all the 30 years of accumulated bicycle tools I do not have a remover for the FSA BB. I did try to use a tool from yesteryear it only sliped and gouged the amuminum cup.

I guess a pipe wrench would do the deed but will probably ruin the cups.

Anyone have any idea what crank demention should look for?

Thanks,Jay B
Old 03-27-20, 03:18 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by JayBarn
I need some help. I have an Orbea Orca 10speed about 10 or so years old. I got it used so I didnot order the components. The crank is a FSA carbon 52/39 175mm arms. I have always rode 170mm on a road bike but thought I would give it a try. I never felt I could find a gear I liked always shifting around. Then one day I rode my back up bike. with 170 crank arms and loved it. So I want to conver the Orbea. I pulled the crank and stamped on the spindle is A3030-127.

Sooooo... What do I look for in the crank sizing. Orbea support was not helpful told me to pull the BB and measure it. Welll sad to say in all the 30 years of accumulated bicycle tools I do not have a remover for the FSA BB. I did try to use a tool from yesteryear it only sliped and gouged the amuminum cup.

I guess a pipe wrench would do the deed but will probably ruin the cups.

Anyone have any idea what crank demention should look for?

Thanks,Jay B
Which Orca is this? BB30 bottom bracket?

What make is the remainder of the group?
Old 03-27-20, 04:24 PM
JayBarn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 02Giant
Which Orca is this? BB30 bottom bracket?

What make is the remainder of the group?
I don't know what BB I have. The frame seems to be 70mm wide. at the BB. The group is Ultagra 10 seeed. Does (A3030 127) what is stamped on the current crank
. mean anything. If I could get a FSA with the same measurements I would be ok. The current BB seems to be in fine shape.
The Orbea FAQ says Can I have a BB30 bottom bracket system?Our standard bottom bracket is the Shimano Press-Fit, which is incompatible with the BB30 system. However, it is compatible with some 30mm spindle cranksets using special cups.
Old 03-27-20, 05:01 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
I don't know what BB I have. The frame seems to be 70mm wide. at the BB. The group is Ultagra 10 seeed. Does (A3030 127) what is stamped on the current crank
. mean anything. If I could get a FSA with the same measurements I would be ok. The current BB seems to be in fine shape.
The Orbea FAQ says Can I have a BB30 bottom bracket system?Our standard bottom bracket is the Shimano Press-Fit, which is incompatible with the BB30 system. However, it is compatible with some 30mm spindle cranksets using special cups.
Your bike is 10 years old, current standards may not apply. The 70 mm measurement you took might indicate an Italian threaded bottom bracket, but we cannot know how you did that. Keep replying until you have 10 posts after which you can include pictures

Last edited by alcjphil; 03-27-20 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-27-20, 11:04 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
FSA has a compatibility chart somewhere. I had an issue with my FSA BB and wanted to replace it but the only one that matched my crank was generally unavailable. I gave up and bought Campy. As for the tool, the Campy BB tool fits the FSA too for threaded BBs, I don't know how the others work. And for that matter I still have the crank and it is a 170, but a compact 50/34. It was an FSA SLK, which had a number of different configurations. The likelihood it will work is actually pretty small. You could have it except with the CV around I'm not going to figure out how to ship it. I only leave the house to ride alone and for food. If you are in the NYC area, ground zero for the virus, I could leave it outside my house for you to take.
Old 03-28-20, 04:55 AM
02Giant 

Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
I don't know what BB I have. The frame seems to be 70mm wide. at the BB. The group is Ultagra 10 seeed. Does (A3030 127) what is stamped on the current crank. mean anything. If I could get a FSA with the same measurements I would be ok. The current BB seems to be in fine shape.

Go here; https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...nd-terminology to determine the type you have
Old 03-28-20, 07:48 AM
JayBarn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Searched the web found a BB guide site.
I figure I got a 38mm frame width. At first I got 70mm but the battery in my caliper died and I was winging the scale. Add that to a threaded frame and assuming English.
I am going to take a gamble and order a crank that is comparable with BB386 spec.
Thanks for all the great suggestions,
I will report the outcome.
Hope the shipper works out of his home!!
stay well wash hands!!
Old 03-28-20, 08:37 AM
tomtomtom123

Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
When you say 38mm frame width, do you mean the width of the BB shell? I think it's impossible to be 38mm.

Anyway, do you also want to replace the BB? Or why do you want to remove it?

If the overall BB width to the outside of the dust caps is close to 91mm and the spindle diameter is 24mm, then you could just replace it with a cheap Shimano road crank with 24mm spindle. If you want to replace the BB, then check to see if the bearings that you have will fit the Shimano BB cup extraction tool. But if you're trying to thread it and you measured around 68mm shell width, then it's not press fit.
Old 03-28-20, 09:32 AM
JayBarn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry typo my mistake I meant 68 not 38
Old 04-02-20, 04:36 PM
JayBarn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went ahead and ordered a FSA crank in the 386 BB spec. Well it was to large. With the crank out I could see the spec on the BB. it says Mega Exo. 24 mm.
I guess that means I need a crank with the spindle width of 24 mm and a length of 127 mm. Or I could change out the BB. I know the frame width is 68mm but with the BB in place I could not get the exact measurement at the threads. I guess the next step is to purchase the tool to remove the BB. That way I will know what exactly I need and can order a BB with the matching crank.
Old 04-03-20, 03:21 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
You almost certainly have an english/ISO BB. You can order an MegaEvo BB like https://www.amazon.com/BB-EVO8681-Me.../dp/B0096XKRDM for the new crank you got. It installs with https://www.parktool.com/product/bot...ttom%20Bracket . The old BB is FSA Mega EXO and should need https://www.parktool.com/product/bot...ttom%20Bracket or https://www.parktool.com/product/bot...ttom%20Bracket.
Old 04-03-20, 09:02 AM
JayBarn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ordered the BB I had already ordered a wrench hope it will fit my old and new BB. I kind of thought FSA BB's would all have the same tool.
Anyway thanks for all the good advice.
Jay B
Old 04-04-20, 12:58 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
MegaEXO and EVO are very different BB tools. They are different because they are designed for 24 and 30mm spindles, respectively.
Old 04-04-20, 11:01 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
Why did you order a BB when the original was working fine? All you had to do was look for a crankset with 170mm arms that matches the spindle diameter (either 24mm or 30mm). If the crank spindle is 24mm in diameter, you need to check the non drive side spindle diameter. Some are 22mm and some are 24mm at the non drive side end.
Old 04-04-20, 12:51 PM
JayBarn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tFUnK
Why did you order a BB when the original was working fine? All you had to do was look for a crankset with 170mm arms that matches the spindle diameter (either 24mm or 30mm). If the crank spindle is 24mm in diameter, you need to check the non drive side spindle diameter. Some are 22mm and some are 24mm at the non drive side end.
Well, the replacement Crank arrived so I could return it for another one and us me existing BB. But I figuered the current BB has about 14,000 miles that I put on it, don't know about the previous owner. So I figured it may go at any time so I ordered the replacement one. Then I will have a new BB and new crank.
Old 04-04-20, 01:39 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
Well, the replacement Crank arrived so I could return it for another one and us me existing BB. But I figuered the current BB has about 14,000 miles that I put on it, don't know about the previous owner. So I figured it may go at any time so I ordered the replacement one. Then I will have a new BB and new crank.
Ah, understood. But the new BB is 30mm and the old one is 24mm? Will the new BB fit the frame? That means the original BB was installed with a 30 to 24 adapter?