Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bottom Bracket for Bianchi Italian?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 04-07-20, 04:46 PM
vijayl

Bikes: Giant TCR C1 - 16.5 lbs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've a 83 ish Bianchi. I measured the frame shell inner diameter as 33.7 mm and frame shell width is 70mm. Without doing research I ended up buying a Shimano BB-UN55, which is 36mm (measured 35.89mm). I'm now figuring out how to get the right BB for this frame. This is definitely not Italian and most likely ISO/British, or BSA. Here is the reference I'm using and confirmed with .Sheldon Brown's Threaded Bicycle Bottom Bracket page. What I'm worried is - I measured BB frame width as 70mm. British is either 68 or 73mm. Could someone confirm?
My initial thread
Bianchigirll

Last edited by vijayl; 04-07-20 at 06:09 PM.
Old 04-07-20, 05:49 PM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
I think you have the proper BB and that it will thread right in. Have you tried it? If the BB is obviously too large to thread into the shell, then you have an oddball 70mm wide English Threaded shell.
Old 04-07-20, 06:10 PM
vijayl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by desconhecido
I think you have the proper BB and that it will thread right in. Have you tried it? If the BB is obviously too large to thread into the shell, then you have an oddball 70mm wide English Threaded shell.
Yes, I did try and it is too big to go in..
Old 04-07-20, 06:42 PM
vijayl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm Thinking if I go with SHIMANO BBR60 Ultegra BSA I should be good. But question I have is if there is a difference in thread size and right cup side thread direction between English (68mm) and Italian (70mm).
Old 04-08-20, 06:38 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Your Bianchi is an entry level model with a kickstand compatible chain stay bridge and decal style circa 1983-1984. Based on this and the assumption that it is a USA market model, it is almost certainly an English threaded, low end model. The serial number will verify the country of origin and BB threading.

Some Japanese bicycles did employ 70mm shells with English threading. The cups on some inexpensive Japanese bottom brackets were very thick, resulting in a 68mm spindle with a 70mm shell. If this is the case, you can still use a English cartridge BB, but there will be 2mm less crankarm clearance on the non-drive side, which may or may not be an issue. If this is an issue, you could have 1mm removed from each side of the BB shell.
Old 04-08-20, 06:46 AM
Choke 
Disciple of St. Tullio

Bikes: Ciöcc, Bianchi, DeRosa, Eddy Merckx, Frejus, Hampsten, Kondor, Losa, Magni, Pegoretti, Pelizzoli, Pogliaghi, Scapin

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by vijayl
But question I have is if there is a difference in thread size and right cup side thread direction between English (68mm) and Italian (70mm).
An Italian BB is a larger diameter and the right (drive) side has right hand, i.e. 'normal' threads while an English BB drive side has left hand threads.
Old 04-08-20, 12:31 PM
vijayl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
Your Bianchi is an entry level model with a kickstand compatible chain stay bridge and decal style circa 1983-1984. Based on this and the assumption that it is a USA market model, it is almost certainly an English threaded, low end model. The serial number will verify the country of origin and BB threading.

Some Japanese bicycles did employ 70mm shells with English threading. The cups on some inexpensive Japanese bottom brackets were very thick, resulting in a 68mm spindle with a 70mm shell. If this is the case, you can still use a English cartridge BB, but there will be 2mm less crankarm clearance on the non-drive side, which may or may not be an issue. If this is an issue, you could have 1mm removed from each side of the BB shell.
Thanks T-Mar and makes sense to me. When you say 1mm removed from BB shell, you meant that I file out 1 mm on each side, if it doesn't work?

Another option I'm thinking of is to go with this BB meant for MTB - use only 1 spacer, at the most 2. Do you think this would workout fine?

Originally Posted by Choke
An Italian BB is a larger diameter and the right (drive) side has right hand, i.e. 'normal' threads while an English BB drive side has left hand threads.
Thank you!
Old 04-08-20, 12:37 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,213 Times in 1,103 Posts
Thanks T-Mar and makes sense to me. When you say 1mm removed from BB shell, you meant that I file out 1 mm on each side, if it doesn't work?
Thank you!
NO do not file! You need a BB facing tool to ensure the new surfaces are parallel with each other and perpendicular to the axis of the threading!
Old 04-08-20, 01:20 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
Where was you frame made? In 1983, Bianchi had its low and mid-level frames for the North American market made in Japan. These frames had English thread bottom brackets. The Italian made frames used Italian thread bottom brackets.

What bottom bracket was installed before you decided to replace it? The cups should be marked with the proper thread spec for your frame.
Old 04-08-20, 02:16 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2924 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts
Whatever BB English thread BB you buy make sure the spindle is long enough for the Dura Ace crank.

To each their own but I never understood putting high end components on a low end frame. This doesn't even have a RD hanger so you need to use a claw adaptor and that will cause issues with your quick release wheels.

My reply to your earlier thread. BTW this is a pretty small frame, how tall are you?

would recommend stopping right now. If this is the classic '83 Bianchi your putting that 11spd kit on I would not recommend it.

" "This is pretty low-end frame as evendent by the lack of a rear derailleur hanger, brazed on cable housing stops, and kickstand plate. Is this even a full Chromoly frame? The fork looks like a replacement. BTW the Piaggio decal simply refers to the conglomerate that owned/owns Bianchi" "Attached Images

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 04-08-20, 02:22 PM
vijayl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Where was you frame made? In 1983, Bianchi had its low and mid-level frames for the North American market made in Japan. These frames had English thread bottom brackets. The Italian made frames used Italian thread bottom brackets.

What bottom bracket was installed before you decided to replace it? The cups should be marked with the proper thread spec for your frame.
I just bought the frame and didn't have anything else other than no-brand forks installed. No idea about where it was made. Here are few pics
Old 04-08-20, 02:29 PM
vijayl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gotcha... I'm going with Single speed for this. I'm 5'6". I want to fit whatever I could to start riding locally. If I can by less pricey components, I'm happy with it. My intention is not to put high-end components.

Do you think that MTB BB URL I paster above is a good bet?

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Whatever BB English thread BB you buy make sure the spindle is long enough for the Dura Ace crank.

To each their own but I never understood putting high end components on a low end frame. This doesn't even have a RD hanger so you need to use a claw adaptor and that will cause issues with your quick release wheels.

My reply to your earlier thread. BTW this is a pretty small frame, how tall are you?

would recommend stopping right now. If this is the classic '83 Bianchi your putting that 11spd kit on I would not recommend it.

" "This is pretty low-end frame as evendent by the lack of a rear derailleur hanger, brazed on cable housing stops, and kickstand plate. Is this even a full Chromoly frame? The fork looks like a replacement. BTW the Piaggio decal simply refers to the conglomerate that owned/owns Bianchi" "Attached Images

Old 04-08-20, 03:08 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Based on the photo of the serial number, the frame is not from Bianchi's prime Japanese contractor, nor is it from Bianchi's Italian factory. It could be either an early Taiwanese frame or a Chiorda (Italy) manufactured frame, as both used similar formats. I'm leaning towards the former, given the OP's location and the entry level status of frame but the definitive check is to determine if the fixed/drive side cup is left hand thread (English) or right hand thread (Italian).

The frame was manufactured in 1983 but if Taiwanese it's from the grey period where it could be either a 1983 or 1984 model. The decal style was used on both 1983 and 1984 models.

As noted by SJX 46, the shell should not be filed to make it narrower. While face parallelism is critical, it is even more critical that the faces be at right angles to the central axis. Frame builders and many better LBS will have the proper tool to perform this operation.

However, given that a single speed is planned, an ATB BB with a 73mm width might be a more appropriate solution, should it turn out to be English threaded. That will provide some adjustment of chain line, by selective positioning of appropriate spacers.
Old 04-08-20, 03:41 PM
vijayl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
Based on the photo of the serial number, the frame is not from Bianchi's prime Japanese contractor, nor is it from Bianchi's Italian factory. It could be either an early Taiwanese frame or a Chiorda (Italy) manufactured frame, as both used similar formats. I'm leaning towards the former, given the OP's location and the entry level status of frame but the definitive check is to determine if the fixed/drive side cup is left hand thread (English) or right hand thread (Italian).

The frame was manufactured in 1983 but if Taiwanese it's from the grey period where it could be either a 1983 or 1984 model. The decal style was used on both 1983 and 1984 models.

As noted by SJX 46, the shell should not be filed to make it narrower. While face parallelism is critical, it is even more critical that the faces be at right angles to the central axis. Frame builders and many better LBS will have the proper tool to perform this operation.

However, given that a single speed is planned, an ATB BB with a 73mm width might be a more appropriate solution, should it turn out to be English threaded. That will provide some adjustment of chain line, by selective positioning of appropriate spacers.
Thanks for the details. Let me take to a local bike shop and see if they have any BB or any tick to confirm if is a left or right threaded on the drive side. If they don't have anything available I'll go with the ATB BB. Any other suggestions from anyone, please?
Old 04-08-20, 03:54 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2924 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts
Are you using a Hollow Tech Dura Ace cranks?

I somehow think your barking up the wrong tree with this MTB bottom bracket (B) shell idea. Mass production MTBs were just getting started and the idea of the 73 was, IIRC, to provide better tire clearance for the chainstays. The idea of a lowend production ten speed having a 73mm shell is pretty far fetched. I suspect this is more a quality control and measuring issue. I would be very surprised if this was anything other than an English BB shell albeit poorly machined.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 04-08-20, 04:13 PM
vijayl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thats additional info for me. Thanks. Do you think going with SHIMANO BBR60 Ultegra BSA, which is 68mm is a better bet? I don't have a Crank set yet.. Based on which BB I end up installing will drive my Crank set decision

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Are you using a Hollow Tech Dura Ace cranks?

I somehow think your barking up the wrong tree with this MTB bottom bracket (B) shell idea. Mass production MTBs were just getting started and the idea of the 73 was, IIRC, to provide better tire clearance for the chainstays. The idea of a lowend production ten speed having a 73mm shell is pretty far fetched. I suspect this is more a quality control and measuring issue. I would be very surprised if this was anything other than an English BB shell albeit poorly machined.

Last edited by vijayl; 04-08-20 at 04:29 PM.
Old 04-08-20, 06:22 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Thats additional info for me. Thanks. Do you think going with SHIMANO BBR60 Ultegra BSA, which is 68mm is a better bet? I don't have a Crank set yet.. Based on which BB I end up installing will drive my Crank set decision
Backwards. Choose crankset first, that drives which BB technology you will need.
Please don't confuse ebay "asking" prices with "selling" prices. Many sellers never get their ask price. some are far from it. Value is determined once an item actually SELLS. Its easy enough to check SOLD prices.
Old 04-09-20, 05:28 PM
vijayl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One of my friend gave me a Square Taper Crankset. found this 1.37 x 68x110 and I'm going with it.
Old 04-17-20, 06:52 PM
vijayl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was able to install the BB with some help.. Thanks everyone. I still need some help. I'll start a new build thread..
Old 04-18-20, 04:35 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 782 Posts
Originally Posted by SJX426
NO do not file! You need a BB facing tool to ensure the new surfaces are parallel with each other and perpendicular to the axis of the threading!

Well, there are other ways, and a file is one of them.

I had to take off quite a bit from a bb shell and what I did was install an axle and crank arm, mount a Dremel with a cut-off blade to am arm that pivoted on the pedal eye, and ran the cut-off wheel around the shell, pivoting and locking the Dremel so it would take a bit more each pass. (I used what I considered a sacrificial cup but there was only small amount of one thread that had the crest removed.)

If all you have is a file you can get a perfectly good flat & square surface if you do have a sacrificial cup. A hacksaw will speed things up. You use the modified cup as a filing guide.

Cut the cup so it will thread down inside the shell as deep as the amount you wish to remove. If it's a flanged cup you'll have to remove those, and you'll probably have to remove enough of the innermost threaded section for the remainder to fit down in the shell. A cheap cup is best, it'll only be hard on the surface, and if it's too hard you hit it with a torch - propane will do, get it red and stick it the wife's bag of gardening vermiculite to cool.

I glue a thin piece of card cut in a circle to the face of the cup after putting it it. - that way when I am close I can see and start being more careful.
Old 04-18-20, 07:33 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
Originally Posted by SJX426
Originally Posted by oneclick
Well, there are other ways, and a file is one of them.

[…]

If all you have is a file you can get a perfectly good flat & square surface if you do have a sacrificial cup. A hacksaw will speed things up. You use the modified cup as a filing guide.
But if you mess it up, the only way to rectify things is to keep shaving material off the faces. That can become a problem.

A piloted facer does the job properly, the first time.