Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Is 170mm Fine for Crit Racing? (My Frame has a Toe Lap))

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-20, 03:33 AM
SuperPershing

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

is 170mm Fine for Crit Racing? Well, i was advised by a World Class Bike Fitter (Literally, the Only one in ASIA) that my body is suited for a 170mm Crank.

But I'm currently Running a 165mm cranks. (And a 165mm has a Toe Lap also)

My Question is, Will a 170mm with Frame has a Toe Lap (Cinelli Parallax size 54) will Kill me because of the Toe lap or when cornering?

Thanks in Advance!
Old 03-16-20, 05:30 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,674 Posts
Some recent studies have suggested that the use of shorter cranks is beneficial or, at least, not less efficient than the use of longer cranks for almost all cyclists. Note that almost track cyclists use 165-mm cranks, regardless of height or leg length.

That said, foot contact with the front tire is impossible at any speed above walking pace. Above that speed, you steer by leaning, not by turning the handlebars.
Old 03-16-20, 06:21 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
I agree with Trakhak that the risks are less when racing. The issue is going to be when going around sharp turns, likely at a much slower pace. However, common sense also indicates that the longer the crank, the better the chance of the crank striking the ground when leaning.

Most track-specific frames have a higher bottom bracket, so this is minimized, but it still can happen. Pedal strike can be as bad or worse than toe overlap.
Old 03-16-20, 06:57 AM
SuperPershing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TugaDude
I agree with Trakhak that the risks are less when racing. The issue is going to be when going around sharp turns, likely at a much slower pace. However, common sense also indicates that the longer the crank, the better the chance of the crank striking the ground when leaning.

Most track-specific frames have a higher bottom bracket, so this is minimized, but it still can happen. Pedal strike can be as bad or worse than toe overlap.
Hows the Geometry of the Cinelli Mash Parallax? High chance of striking?
Old 03-16-20, 08:02 AM
TugaDude

Originally Posted by SuperPershing
Hows the Geometry of the Cinelli Mash Parallax? High chance of striking?

Old 03-16-20, 08:33 AM
TugaDude

I searched online for reviews of that frame set, but unfortunately none really discussed toe overlap or bottom bracket height. In my opinion, two of the most important features of this type of bike. You can deal with both issues, but it is good to know that they are a potential.
Old 03-16-20, 09:19 AM
SuperPershing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I searched online for reviews of that frame set, but unfortunately none really discussed toe overlap or bottom bracket height. In my opinion, two of the most important features of this type of bike. You can deal with both issues, but it is good to know that they are a potential.
Thanks for the Effort Bro <3 , In your own opinion and own understanding of that geometry of the Parallax (which is frame rn, size 54) does it have a high chance of striking the ground if i bank of a crit curve?
Old 03-16-20, 09:26 AM
TugaDude

Originally Posted by SuperPershing
Thanks for the Effort Bro <3 , In your own opinion and own understanding of that geometry of the Parallax (which is frame rn, size 54) does it have a high chance of striking the ground if i bank of a crit curve?
I'll have to defer to others on that question. Maybe someone who owns one can chime in here. Just looking at the dimensions, I honestly cannot determine exact BB height. You'd need that in order to compare to existing bikes you may own and ride in order to see if it is a concern.
Old 03-16-20, 10:46 AM
SuperPershing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll have to defer to others on that question. Maybe someone who owns one can chime in here. Just looking at the dimensions, I honestly cannot determine exact BB height. You'd need that in order to compare to existing bikes you may own and ride in order to see if it is a concern.
Okay no Worries! Thanks mate!
Old 03-16-20, 01:49 PM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts

bank of a crit curve? if you think you need 170mm crank arms then give them a try, how should we know what will work for you.

Last edited by REDMASTA; 03-16-20 at 01:52 PM.
Old 03-17-20, 09:50 AM
SuperPershing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by REDMASTA

bank of a crit curve? if you think you need 170mm crank arms then give them a try, how should we know what will work for you.
Well, i haven't bought a 170mm Cranks yet so that is why I'm asking some folks here if they have a similar experience so i can gain a insight
Old 03-17-20, 10:51 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
They give you F in the piece above. Measure the diameter of your wheel to the outside of the tire, my wife's as an example measured 340mm, take that and crank length and subtract from F which is 557 for a medium in the chart above. For me that would leave 47mm. Measure from the where the spindle sits below the cleat to the front of the shoe, whatever that happens to be taken from the remainder is your overlap. This won't be perfect however unless you ride with your heel down as you pedal so that on the upstroke your foot really is in line with the crank at the closest point, this is the case for a few riders. Mostly people ride heel up or flat when so that when the crank is at the closest point you will gain a few extra mm that might made the difference.
Personally everything I have read says that a longer crank length doesn't make a significant difference, it'll matter more if you mash vs. spin and unless you're taller can even harm your pedal stroke by causing more rocking at the hips. I would be inclined to find better things to spend the money on then a marginal improvement. Though if you're above 6' I'd be more inclined to try longer.
Old 03-17-20, 01:42 PM
SuperPershing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
They give you F in the piece above. Measure the diameter of your wheel to the outside of the tire, my wife's as an example measured 340mm, take that and crank length and subtract from F which is 557 for a medium in the chart above. For me that would leave 47mm. Measure from the where the spindle sits below the cleat to the front of the shoe, whatever that happens to be taken from the remainder is your overlap. This won't be perfect however unless you ride with your heel down as you pedal so that on the upstroke your foot really is in line with the crank at the closest point, this is the case for a few riders. Mostly people ride heel up or flat when so that when the crank is at the closest point you will gain a few extra mm that might made the difference.
Personally everything I have read says that a longer crank length doesn't make a significant difference, it'll matter more if you mash vs. spin and unless you're taller can even harm your pedal stroke by causing more rocking at the hips. I would be inclined to find better things to spend the money on then a marginal improvement. Though if you're above 6' I'd be more inclined to try longer.
Ohhh i see i see. i'd measure it tomorrow cause its now night.

And i'm 5'7 btw