Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Freewheel grease?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Freewheel grease?

Old 04-07-20, 02:11 PM
67tony 

Bikes: 1987 Centurion Ironman Master, 1992 Koga Miyata Exerciser, 1992 Schwinn Crosscut

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 91 Posts
Freewheel grease?

I successfully took apart and re-assembled a 6-speed Shimano freewheel.
Heeding all the warnings, I was very careful, especially considering the 69 tiny ball bearings involved!

I used Phil Woods bearing grease, and although it spins smooth...it does not spin "forever", like some others do.
Should I have used a thinner lube, or will this grease loosen up after a while?
Old 04-07-20, 02:19 PM
Tony P.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 162 Posts
Generally bearing grease is not good for freewheels, as you've found. Try white lithium.
Old 04-07-20, 02:20 PM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 780 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 401 Posts
I've seen people recommend Phil's tenacious oil. I tried it and it seemed to work, as far as I can tell. Though, being oil, who knows how long its effects last.

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...brication.html

Isn't there a resident freewheel guru?
Old 04-07-20, 02:24 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 700 Posts
I had a similar question recently, i.e., "why does my old freewheel seem to spin forever whereas my newer ones do not?" The prevailing wisdom was that my old one spun freely because the lube had degraded, and that it was not in the optimal state. It was spinning dry, essentially.

EDIT: Here is the link to my thread https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...esistance.html, and the response about missing lube is by Pastor Bob, the freewheel guru on this forum.
Old 04-07-20, 02:24 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
And I bet it is nice and quiet! I used to grease my SunTour FWs with Phil's green. Loved the nice smooth, quite FW. Yes, it is more friction. And no, I never noticed it riding.

(I figured as a bike racer that the additional friction was more than offset by the fact that I could coast behind another rider and not broadcast to the world I wasn't working!)

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 04-07-20, 02:31 PM
Tony P.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 162 Posts
Further to my earlier post, you may want to familiarize yourself with NLGI grease ratings. Flywheels don't get much if any stress. As a result, go with an NLGI 1 or thinner rating.
Old 04-07-20, 02:39 PM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
It only spins when you're coasting, it doesn't matter. It will loosen up a little when the grease gets pushed around a bit. More important- do the pawls engage-coast-engage when it's cold outside. Good job not shooting parts all around the room.
Old 04-07-20, 02:44 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
pastorbobnlnh is the freewheel guru
Old 04-07-20, 02:48 PM
mwat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Nice job on doing a rebuild. Thin oil may not last as long as thick grease but you can always add a drop or two more often.
Old 04-07-20, 07:15 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,916 Posts
Originally Posted by Piff
I've seen people recommend Phil's tenacious oil. I tried it and it seemed to work, as far as I can tell. Though, being oil, who knows how long its effects last.
that's what I'd do. And if it's a Shimano 62nn or 72nn freewheel, there's an oil port that makes adding oil dead-easy.

Old 04-07-20, 07:55 PM
67tony 

Bikes: 1987 Centurion Ironman Master, 1992 Koga Miyata Exerciser, 1992 Schwinn Crosscut

Thanks for the great replies.
I did my old 13-21 MF-6208 with Phil's grease, so I may try Tenacious Oil on the newer 13-23.
It may be trickier since the grease holds the bearings in place so well during re-assembly.

About the above oil port picture, do you have to remove the cogs to get to it?
I did not do that, and in fact would not yet know how to do that!
Old 04-08-20, 07:39 AM
67tony 

Originally Posted by Tony P.
Flywheels don't get much if any stress. As a result, go with an NLGI 1 or thinner rating.
Yes to this, NLGI 1 it is.
I'll put my mask on and see if our auto parts store has some.

Thinner, but still a grease to hold the bearings in place during assembly.
The bottoms are the perilous ones...

Last edited by 67tony; 04-08-20 at 08:40 AM.
Old 04-08-20, 08:03 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
In the very early days of mountain bikes, Phil sold a tool specifically for injecting grease into freewheels. The shop owner where I worked insisted that all these newfangled mountain bikes get their freewheels injected with Phil grease, to keep out the dirt and water I guess. Soon enough it became apparent that this wasn't such a great idea. The pawls can sometimes get stuck down under certain conditions, leading to a potentially dangerous situation. For this reason pretty much all bike shops stopped greasing freewheels shortly after they started. If you want to risk it for your own use, that's fine, but best to stick with a low viscosity grease.

However, it's much easier, safer and quite effective to use Phil's tenacious oil instead. That's what most bike shops used from the time it came out until the end of the freewheel era. (at least in my area)

Obviously, a freewheel with a dedicated grease port is probably no problem to grease, but try to find the manufacturer's tech sheet to verify if possible. Could be an oil port.
Old 04-08-20, 12:48 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
Back in 70s I made a habit of greasing freewheel bodies. This was when local Mr. Schwinn could supply any size of SunTour cog from the board in back of the shop and order any Regina/Atom cog from Kostner & Cortland. Either way a cog was under a buck, it made sense to keep using the same bodies. Always Phil grease, it held the bearings well during assembly. Never any problems at all. Unless you count the pawls sticking if attempting to ride below 10 degrees Fahrenheit. Which became a good reason to stay indoors. In early years of MTB freewheels and cassettes constantly blew up, don’t think that was a grease versus oil issue.

And then the cassette snake oil came along and I fell for it. Took over twenty years to regain my senses. Don’t grease them now because I have spares and will die before they are worn out.
Old 04-08-20, 12:56 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Lithium grease is the way to go when overhauling. Adding Oil makes the freewheel too loud and it doesn't last long. Meanwhile, if a lithium greased freewheel is left undisturbed for 25 years the lithium grease drys but still allows your bearings to roll smoothly.

Last edited by texaspandj; 04-09-20 at 05:30 AM.
Old 04-08-20, 01:15 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,916 Posts
Originally Posted by 67tony
About the above oil port picture, do you have to remove the cogs to get to it?
I did not do that, and in fact would not yet know how to do that!
Yes, but removing the cogs is a good deal easier than completely rebuilding the freewheel. All you need is a freewheel vise and a chain whip. Or, if you want to service it on the wheel, just two chain whips. One to hold the freewheel steady and the other to unthread the smallest cog so you can slide the splined cogs off the body and expose the oil port.
Old 04-08-20, 01:34 PM
67tony 

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Yes, but removing the cogs is a good deal easier than completely rebuilding the freewheel. All you need is a freewheel vise and a chain whip. Or, if you want to service it on the wheel, just two chain whips. One to hold the freewheel steady and the other to unthread the smallest cog so you can slide the splined cogs off the body and expose the oil port.
Great to know...thanks for posting!
Old 04-08-20, 01:47 PM
bargo68 
Dedicated Detritus Dodger

Bikes: Some mighty fine ones at that!

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 247 Posts
I just completed a successful reassembly of a Suntour 7 speed freewheel, and I had an issue similar to yours. In the rebuild I used Park Tool PPL-1 grease. I used a bead on top and bottom to place the ball bearings and I slathered it a little too liberally over the pawls. Once put back together, it felt smooth but really sluggish. I never even got the freewheel on the hub. I WD40'd it and removed all the grease and re-lubed it with Triflow lubricant. Much thinner and it is much less sluggish. It's back on the bike and it feels great. I anticipate I will probably have to give the freewheel attention at more regular intervals, but that doesn't bother me as much as the extra friction did.
Old 04-08-20, 01:49 PM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 189 Posts
I'm probably doing it wrong, but I have usually lubed freewheels via carefully applying lube on a removed freewheel in the bearing race crack. Sort of spinning and lubing, spinning and lubing. I use a heavier lube like Finish Line wet lube. I keep doing it until it leaks out and then just keep spinning it in my hand for a while.

I should say I only do this if the freewheel doesn't seem to have any grinding or crunchy bits as you spin it.
Old 04-08-20, 02:00 PM
jethin

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert
And then the cassette snake oil came along and I fell for it...
The cassette snake oil, eh? Now that's what I call a dyed in the wool C&Ver!
Likes For jethin:
Old 04-08-20, 02:11 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by mechanicmatt
I'm probably doing it wrong, but I have usually lubed freewheels via carefully applying lube on a removed freewheel in the bearing race crack. Sort of spinning and lubing, spinning and lubing. I use a heavier lube like Finish Line wet lube. I keep doing it until it leaks out and then just keep spinning it in my hand for a while.
That's how it was done in bike shops BITD. This would be after a soak in the solvent tank and blowing it out with air. (i'm guessing solvent tanks don't use solvent anymore... )

Finish Line wet lube works pretty well for this. But try Phil Tenacious some time. You won't go back...

BTW, I know how to overhaul a freewheel. It was not done in bike shops because it cost less to sell you a new freewheel. A full overhaul was rarely pragmatic or necessary for freewheels BITD, but now that they are decades old, it can be worth doing.

Last edited by Salamandrine; 04-08-20 at 02:14 PM.
Old 04-08-20, 02:20 PM
desconhecido 

Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
I bought one of these new in October 2018 and it was $32 including shipping from bicycletool.com which appeared to be the remnants of bicycle research. Now, bicycletool.com appears to be defunct. I thought it was worth the price considering it was obvious that these things were getting scarce, but it's worth every penny considering reduced blood loss and chain whip funerals. I've seen other vise designs, but these bicycle research tools work like a charm. They might be magic.
Old 04-08-20, 10:04 PM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
That's how it was done in bike shops BITD. This would be after a soak in the solvent tank and blowing it out with air. (i'm guessing solvent tanks don't use solvent anymore... )

Finish Line wet lube works pretty well for this. But try Phil Tenacious some time. You won't go back...

BTW, I know how to overhaul a freewheel. It was not done in bike shops because it cost less to sell you a new freewheel. A full overhaul was rarely pragmatic or necessary for freewheels BITD, but now that they are decades old, it can be worth doing.
Used to use Phil's tenacious oil then used Finish Line Wet and I won't go back. I prefer Finish Line Wet Lube because it runs cleaner to me. I don't use it for everything though. That said I used Phil's oil and grease for many years from my youngest days up until a few years ago. I think it was very good, but I like other stuff better now.

Never used solvents or soaked or blown off, just patiently lubed it as I described. I did work in bike shops 25 years ago though so maybe that's where I picked it up.
Old 04-09-20, 09:53 AM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
Lithium grease is the way to go when overhauling. Adding Oil makes the freewheel too loud and it doesn't last long. Meanwhile, if a lithium greased freewheel is left undisturbed for 25 years the lithium grease drys but still allows your bearings to roll smoothly.
Huh???

Adding oil makes a freewheel quiet.

It's when the oil dissipates and the freewheel is dry that it makes noise. That is your signal to add a few more drops of oil.

While you have the oil in hand, lube your chain, too.
Old 04-09-20, 11:51 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad Lag
Huh???

Adding oil makes a freewheel quiet.

It's when the oil dissipates and the freewheel is dry that it makes noise. That is your signal to add a few more drops of oil.

While you have the oil in hand, lube your chain, too.
The oil made my freewheel Loud.
Every 30+ year old BB and Freewheel that I've cracked open had used lithium grease like (peanut butter consistency) Not marine grease (like jelly) and all them actually spinned smoothly but needed to overhaul because of said 30+ years. The bearings weren't greasy, however the bearing race was smooth with dried grease.
I can't be the only one that's noticed that on vintage bikes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.