Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1967 Condor Refresh

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1967 Condor Refresh

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-20, 02:44 PM
Stevensb 

Bikes: Condor, Cinelli SC, MKM Metcalfe, Peugeot AE08, Bianchi, Cougar, Miyata, Harry Hall, Holdsworth Special, Raleigh Int'l, Le Croco, Bob Jackson, Zeus

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 53 Posts
1967 Condor Refresh

I've spent some time over the past few months cleaning up a few bothersome details on my 1967 Condor.

It's only taken 6 years to get to this point - this was the original thread devoted to the find: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ure-heavy.html

This is how it looked before the recent work:

Hurlow Condor 1967 by bj.stevens, on Flickr

The first step was to remove the horrible down tube decal. I gently sanded it off, hoping to find something better underneath but no such luck, so I ordered a new decal from Gus Salmon. I took the frame to a local motorcycle shop who painted just the panel where the decal goes. Followed Gus's instructions for waterslide installation, cleared over it and there it is - only a little bit crooked but overall much better looking. I also removed the World Championship stripes on the down tube and seat tube - not sure yet if I will put new ones on at some point.

Second thing was a lovely Titan 12 cm stem (with matching Maes, Kimpt, et al bars) that was too long, making the reach a little uncomfortable. I switched it for a 9cm Cinelli 1A and I think it will be much better. I try to setup my bikes with a 64cm diagonal measurement from where the seat post enters the frame to the end of the stem and this hits the mark on this bike.

The only old school bars I had on hand are Cinelli 65's so that is what I've used. Would prefer Giro D'Italia at some point - maybe in another 6 years or so. Wrapped the bars with some cotton tape and I like the look.

There is detail work to be done - trim and cap the cables, close the front brake QR, etc. I have lots of time to play with this as it is still very cold in Calgary and the roads are covered in snow, ice, gravel or water or a nice combination of them.

More pictures can be found here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/148676...h/49747525202/

IMG_8866 by bj.stevens, on Flickr

I still don't know who Mike Edwards is.

IMG_8902 by bj.stevens, on Flickr

Cheers.

Brad
Old 04-07-20, 03:00 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 2,176 Posts
-----

thanks so much for posting this update; wonderful to see the machine again.

aesthetica - thinking that the red trim washes out the bike a bit. the eye always goes first to colour. the viewer would better get the full gestalt of the cycle if trim colour were something such as silver-grey or white. it also leaves the bicycle with that "worked on" look. my two shillings.

-----
Old 04-08-20, 10:58 AM
Stevensb 

Bikes: Condor, Cinelli SC, MKM Metcalfe, Peugeot AE08, Bianchi, Cougar, Miyata, Harry Hall, Holdsworth Special, Raleigh Int'l, Le Croco, Bob Jackson, Zeus

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 53 Posts
Thanks juvela . I'll take your trim colour suggestions into account for version 3, which, given the amount of time I have on my hands, may be sooner rather than later.

Cheers.

Brad
Old 04-08-20, 11:03 AM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
One of my favorite bikes, period. I wasn't here yet when you posted the old thread but I've read through it a couple of times. I missed two chances to buy Condor Superbe frames in the past year or so, and there's currently one with Hurlow No. 1 lugs like yours on eBay UK, but the expense is too dear... I'll keep dreaming.

Thanks so much for sharing the refresh. It looks excellent!