Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Strobe or Continuous Light for bulb longevity?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-17, 11:44 AM
bikerookie14

Bikes: singlespeed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I tried looking for info on strobe or continuous light for cycling at night but could only find results for photography...

anyway, I have this front light for night riding and I always have it blinking so drivers pay more attention at stop signs and intersections. but does blinking reduce the lifetime of the light?

also, is strobe or continuous lighting safer for cyclists/other drivers? I've seen the argument that drivers can get seizures from strobe but honestly wouldn't they get seizures from much more than bike lights?
Old 06-11-17, 12:03 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4813 Post(s)
Liked 3,944 Times in 2,566 Posts
I've been using a Serfas headligth for years. Something sorta like the True Series on their website now but only 300 (?) lumens. Cost ~$150. I use in both flashing and steady modes depending on where I am and the battery life I need. Bought it around 2008 and have done nothing but charge it.

I do find as a driver that I cannot always judge the speed and distance of strobes. I've also heard about seizures. I find some strobes are impossible for me to see with when it is very dark but others work. That old Serfas has a strobe I can see pretty well with.

Anytime I have very bright or obnoxious lights, I try to be aware where they are pointing. (I curse the folks that ride with bright helmet lights and look at me when I am riding the opposite direction. I find myself blinded for a few seconds.)

Ben
Old 06-11-17, 12:11 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,246 Times in 624 Posts
Originally Posted by bikerookie14
I tried looking for info on strobe or continuous light for cycling at night but could only find results for photography...

anyway, I have this front light for night riding and I always have it blinking so drivers pay more attention at stop signs and intersections. but does blinking reduce the lifetime of the light?

also, is strobe or continuous lighting safer for cyclists/other drivers? I've seen the argument that drivers can get seizures from strobe but honestly wouldn't they get seizures from much more than bike lights?
What light do you have?

Strobe for Day, Solid for Night.

Old 06-11-17, 01:56 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Led lights = really does not matter strobe or steady.
Old 06-11-17, 01:58 PM
johnny99

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I firmly believe that many car drivers have a hard time determining your position and direction when all they see is a flashing light. If they are staring at your light trying to figure out where you are, they tend to steer towards where they are looking. If you want to use a flasher, use it in combination with a brighter steady light. This goes for both front and rear lights, especially at night.
Old 06-11-17, 04:41 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,683 Times in 828 Posts
What I've been doing for a few years now is steady main front headlight on handlebar with lower-power, inexpensive 180-degree white blinkie on fork, plus steady low-power forward white helmet flashlight with amber side lenses (Just an old prescription bottle with the bottom cut out). In the rear, steady, inexpensive rear 180-degree red light with red 180 blinkie on back of helmet. Have it this way on all three bikes. My main commuter now also has a front amber monkey light my sister bought me.
Old 06-11-17, 05:00 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

It's not the flashing that produces seizures as such but the randomness in the flashing. That's why fire alarm strobes are synchronized. So, if your flashing is at a constant interval, it should not induce seizures.

Originally Posted by CB HI
Led lights = really does not matter strobe or steady.
This

Originally Posted by BobbyG
What I've been doing for a few years now is steady main front headlight on handlebar with lower-power, inexpensive 180-degree white blinkie on fork, plus steady low-power forward white helmet flashlight with amber side lenses (Just an old prescription bottle with the bottom cut out). In the rear, steady, inexpensive rear 180-degree red light with red 180 blinkie on back of helmet. Have it this way on all three bikes. My main commuter now also has a front amber monkey light my sister bought me.
https://youtu.be/DalL-RFrZL8
I actually have it the other way around, flashing light on the handle bar that can easily be seen and a steady light on the fork to illuminate the road ahead of me and shows off road's imperfection more pronouncedly since it's lower (creates shadows).
Old 06-11-17, 05:36 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,803 Times in 1,801 Posts
...but does blinking reduce the lifetime of the light?
Bike light makers usually only specify run times for each mode -- bright, dim, flashing -- per battery charge. Usually flashing delivers the longest run time per charge. I haven't seen anything specifying the effect on LED life. That info is probably available by Googling around for LED components themselves rather than the finished products using LEDs.

also, is strobe or continuous lighting safer for cyclists/other drivers?
This is one of the favorite bones of contention for gnawing on every bike related discussion.

I do what seems to work for me (i.e., reinforces my confirmation bias).

For white headlights:
Flashing in daylight.
At night, flashing in heavy traffic and near zones where drivers are usually distracted (parking lot exits, intersections).
Steady in most places at night, especially on the bike trails.
On the bike trails I usually try to use the dimmest practical steady beam and aim it downward to avoid blinding oncoming cyclists, joggers and walkers.

For red taillights:
Flashing/strobing, nearly always, day and night.

The only exception is in group rides when I either turn off my Cygolite Hotshot or set it to steady dim. Even the Hotshot 50 is too bright for group rides on any flashing setting. There's no way to dim the maximum output. The only way to do that is on the steady mode.

My hybrid/cruisers have dimmer red LED/reflector combos for group rides and most neighborhood rides. They're bright enough for that without blinding anyone, and the reflectors enhance visibility. These have better side visibility than the Hotshots and similar lights with intensely focused beams that are visible mainly from the rear.

I also wear helmet lights.:
A Vivo-Bike Illuminati on the front -- size of a Bic lighter, also available under other brand names via Amazon, for $12-$20.
And a Blackburn 2'Fer on the rear, usually in red flashing mode. Great, versatile little to-be-seen light, with steady and flashing white and red modes.
Both are lightweight, weigh almost nothing, last about the same time per charge per mode, and have good side visibility.

Helmet lights enhance our visibility to drivers. They're visible above car roof lines in traffic when our bike mounted lights are blocked. And it gives drivers two vertically oriented points for quickly estimating our orientation, distance and speed. I began combining bike and helmet mounted lights after observing this effect on other cyclists -- made it much easier to see them in cluttered urban settings, and to estimate their orientation.
Old 06-11-17, 05:55 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
Been using this, NiteRider Lumina OLED 600 Headlight

12:45AM last Saturday started my 76 miler in low continuous light with slow flash mode. 21 hours of life displayed and time count down was accurate. Was only maintaining 16mph on familiar roads so low light was not an issue.
Old 06-11-17, 06:23 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1592 Post(s)
Liked 1,021 Times in 573 Posts
Batteries last longer on flashing mode. No idea about the light itself, but with modern LEDs that's irrelevant. The light will outlast the wiring and housing. It should be the last part of the entire unit to wear out from use.
Old 06-11-17, 08:34 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
LEDs only care about total on time. Usually they're rated for 50,000 hours or something like that. Usually that's a half life. At 50K hours the LED will still work but the brightness will be reduced by some amount.

If you run an LED in less than 100% brightness mode, it's turning on and off probably something like 1000 times a second. This is how you control the brightness of an LED. It's actually putting out full brightness but only 20% of the time or whatever mode you're in.

If it doesn't mind turning on and off 1000 times a second, a 2 hz strobe sure isn't going to bother it.
Old 06-12-17, 05:48 AM
Cyclist0084

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
https://youtu.be/DalL-RFrZL8
I like the idea of a blinkie on the fork. This is something I'll have to start doing, especially if my plan to commute to work ever comes to fruition.

Old 06-12-17, 06:11 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4273 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 950 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I
I do find as a driver that I cannot always judge the speed and distance of strobes.
This isn't really what they are for.

That's why cars have headlights.

(Drivers may expect riders are going slower than they are.)
Old 06-12-17, 10:42 AM
coominya

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad Giant talon

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
What's a Bulb? They're all LED's now and LED's don't care how many times they are switched on and off (As long as they are not over-driven (current wise))
Old 06-12-17, 01:21 PM
vol

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I do find as a driver that I cannot always judge the speed and distance of strobes.
Can you judge the distance better if I use 2 or 3 flashing taillights? When one is off, the other is on (not exactly in sync).
Old 06-12-17, 10:52 PM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Continuous
Old 06-13-17, 08:36 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
In the dark I always have one flasher and one continuous, unless the taillight does both at once (flash over continuous).
Old 06-13-17, 05:20 PM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts
LED lights are Not damaged by flashing. In this day and age, you should buy LED lights. The savings in Batteries will pay for the new Lights.
Old 06-14-17, 02:31 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2500 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 525 Posts
I despair... one day (hopefully soon) it won't matter a whit, what folk, or anecdotal or verified scientific knowledge guides your head/tail light choice or usage mode. It will all be codified into a comprehensive set of statutes and criteria that leave no room for individual interpretation, much like what is done governing the main and auxiliary lights of everything else that uses surface streets and roads.
Old 06-14-17, 03:13 PM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

I FOUND IT !!!

I'm getting one of THESE:

https://vtrcorp.com/about/bikealert/
Old 06-14-17, 03:14 PM
hotbike

Old 06-16-17, 12:22 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
When you consider that I use a lot of reflectors and my intent all along was to have amber markers/turn signals, a bright headlight and a large red taillight (maybe even a brake sensor), if not a motorcycle fixture on most of my classic cruiser bikes (I like tanks and 'motorcycle bikes'), I'm only temporarily messing around with little blinky stuff.
Old 06-16-17, 08:13 AM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Whatever you use will be right sometimes, and wrong other times.
People have trouble judging speed and distance for both single solid lights and flashing lights.
Your light will last as long as it lasts, just keep an eye on it and replace as necessary.
Overthink all this and you're better off turning off your computer and going for a long ride.
Old 06-16-17, 08:45 AM
ExPatTyke

Bikes: Gitane Course, Paris Sport, Peugeot AO8, Peugeot Bretagne, Peugeot Premiere 85, Peugeot Premiere 86, Peugeot ANC Halfords Team Replica, Peugeot Festina Team Replica, Motobecane Grand Sport, Motobecane Super 15, Raleigh Pro Race, Raleigh Stratos, BSA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 90 Posts
Flashing red LED on the offside seat stay at ALL times. At night - I have a 10 mile commute through the local lanes - this is supplemented by Lezyne Prodrive lights fore and aft with both on solid beams, plus a flashing white on the handlebars and a flashing red on the helmet.
Old 06-16-17, 09:56 AM
hotbike

Experience has shown me that Leaking Battery Acid will Destroy the Lights Before the bulbs burn out, a lot of the time... especially with LED's , because they never die...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.