Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Need a new headlight - criteria within

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-14, 10:33 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts

I currently have a Serfas Thunderbolt but I can barely get 1 days worth of commuting (20 mins to, 45 minutes from) without having to recharge it now. I've had it for a little over a year, but it it's only be more consistently used since probably July, and still, not daily (even when set on flash and not steady). Anyway, I'm in search of a new headlight and sometimes I look at the same things on Amazon 45 times and I still don't remember what I looked at.
So please help me out.

Criteria:
-More for being seen, not seeing in the dead of night. (but the ability to light up a darkened path a little would be nice)
-But I don't want some piddly little thing that's a dinky LED
-But I don't want a giant spotlight either
- +/- $50
-Not dynamo
-Adjustable mount? I will switch it between bikes and they have different bar thickness, and tape cush, and neither have any bare bar.
-Can't be mounted around head tube due to brake hanger on 1 bike (but can on the other)
-open to trying helmet mount - but does that require a special attachment system? Never done it before
-prefer usb rechargable to battery, but not set in stone.
-the bike it will be used most on is my '84 raleigh and it's got a quill stem
Old 12-12-14, 10:41 PM
gregjones

Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by the sci guy
it's only be more consistently used since probably July, and still, not daily (even when set on flash and not steady).
That might be part of the problem. I find that I need to recharge the Thunderbolt just before use to get the max life out of it. If they sit for awhile between uses they don't seem to last as long. I haven't really timed them to know the exact extra life a recent charge provides and it's not the same for each light (I have a headlight and two tail lights).
Old 12-12-14, 10:56 PM
Mr. Hairy Legs
Super-spreader

Bikes: shiny red tricycle

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 97 Posts
If you can increase the budget a little...

I'd get a high powered Light & Motion unit like perhaps the Urban 650 and just run it on the lowest setting or blink mode most of the time - you should get a few hours out of it. Then when you need the extra power in a monsoon you can crank it up. It's the sort of thing where you'll probably never regret spending a bit more.

My Urban 550 came with a helmet mount, which I use for a dinky little blinky.
Old 12-12-14, 11:53 PM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
I have one of these and I love it. Excellent battery life, adjustable mount for different size bars, and USB rechargeable. It also works well as an actual light if you need to see instead of being seen with 320 lumens which is decent. Oh, and it is about in your price range. I have been commuting with mine for about a month and a half now, and with the different modes it goes into, there is always something depending on the conditions.

CygoLite Dash 320 USB Front Bike Light
Old 12-13-14, 12:08 AM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
I have been very happy with the Cygolite metro series. I think mine is the 360 lumen. Lots of modes and brightness settings, with rechargeable battery. I use it almost every day commuting to work and around town, and only charge it once a week at most. It is bright enough to light up a road or path and not feel like I have to ride slower, but not annoyingly bright in traffic. I really like the runtime between charges on this light.
Old 12-13-14, 12:28 AM
newbie101
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A magic shine clone will set you back about $20 and meet just about all of your criteria. With a diffuser, you could get 2 sets at around $50 total.
Old 12-13-14, 12:43 AM
iTripped

Bikes: Phil Barge Pista SC

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Dude seriously: get a Cosmic Dreadnought. It cost like $30 at MEC (I am sure there are American stores that sell it too) and it meets most of your requirements.
- adjustable mounting system: check. It has a thumbscrew that tightens a band around the handlebar. Works from 25.4 to 31. The light itself is removable from the mounting gear so you can use it like a flashlight. Handy when you want to inspect your tire or see what is in your derailleur.
- takes 2AA batteries. These babies will last you a week or two, depending on your commute.
- bright enough to be taken seriously without being obnoxious. It has low/high/flash settings which is really all you need in a light.

The only thing I wish for in this light would be USB recharging. At $30 it's a steal. Even if you get a more expensive light set this makes a great backup light to use when you forgot the other lights, or they are charging. Plus, if it gets stolen, you aren't out too much.
Old 12-13-14, 07:20 AM
downwinded

Bikes: 2014 Trek Crossrip LTD, 2013 Raleigh Misceo

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cygolite Metro series have worked very well for me. I have 2 Metro 300's and a 500 on various bikes. They seem to meet all your criteria (the 500 may be a bit outside your target price). Modern Bike has always had a good deal on them.
Old 12-13-14, 02:42 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Those all look great, guys, thanks!

Right now i'm leaning heavily toward the Cygolite metro 360
Old 12-13-14, 06:18 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Actually,if you only want a 'be seen' light,a Blackburn Flea would be perfect. Battery life is only about 4-4.5hrs on blink,but it's USB rechargeable,so that's not a big deal. They're very bright,weigh nothing,and the velcro strap can be swapped from bike to bike in seconds. I wear mine on the top of my helmet,I just threaded the strap through the vents. I put a red one on the rear of the helmet as well.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 12-13-14, 06:39 PM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
^ that Flea would be the last light that I would ever use. I had one, and it was just terrible. USB charging is iffy at best with that goofy system that they have. Mounting is easy but the light is not that great compared to the others listed. I ended up giving mine away, couldn't bring myself to take money from a fellow rider for it. Knowing what I know now, I would take the Cygolite that I have a million times and every day that ends in y. I also have a Serfas Thunderbolt like the OP, and this is equally if not brighter, and the battery just lasts!
Old 12-15-14, 11:48 AM
gregjones

Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
it's only be more consistently used since probably July, and still, not daily (even when set on flash and not steady).
Originally Posted by gregjones
That might be part of the problem. I find that I need to recharge the Thunderbolt just before use to get the max life out of it. If they sit for awhile between uses they don't seem to last as long. I haven't really timed them to know the exact extra life a recent charge provides and it's not the same for each light (I have a headlight and two tail lights).
I knew that I had seen something about when to charge......I had read this when I got my L&M:

The Lithium-Ion battery contained in the Urban will power you through many hundreds of rides and will serve you well if you follow these simple rules:
• Never store the battery dead. Charge it up after your ride.
• Charge before you ride if you haven’t charged it within a few days. Lithium-Ion batteries may lose charge slowly over time.
• For long term storage, be sure to charge your battery every 3 months.

That sound's like general rechargeable battery usage and not light brand specific.

Maybe that will help you.
Old 12-15-14, 01:43 PM
jralbert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It looks from your profile that you're not in Canada, but as reference for those who are: MEC's Zinger light is, in my experience, the absolute best value for dollar in be-seen fore-directed lighting. 480 lumen for $49, high low and blink modes, internal battery that recharges from standard mini-USB. I've got two years of every-single-day use out of mine; I run it on every ride, two hours per day, either blinking in daylight or solid after dusk, and charge it every night. Similar ~500 lumen lights from other brands, even those sold at MEC, tend to appear in the $100+ range. Good purchase, has long since paid for itself.
Old 12-15-14, 02:34 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Originally Posted by gregjones
I knew that I had seen something about when to charge......I had read this when I got my L&M:

The Lithium-Ion battery contained in the Urban will power you through many hundreds of rides and will serve you well if you follow these simple rules:
• Never store the battery dead. Charge it up after your ride.
• Charge before you ride if you haven’t charged it within a few days. Lithium-Ion batteries may lose charge slowly over time.
• For long term storage, be sure to charge your battery every 3 months.

That sound's like general rechargeable battery usage and not light brand specific.

Maybe that will help you.
Hmm good thoughts.
I mean, it still works nice and bright, but sometimes I can't get more than an hour out of it on high. I'll try those few charging tips. But, still planning on getting the Cygolite I think after we get back from vacationing for the holidays.
Old 12-15-14, 02:58 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts

Attached Images
Old 12-15-14, 03:06 PM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Light & Motion's Urban series are worth checking out. I have the Urban 800, which might be outside your budget, but they 300 and 500 models might be in your range. L&M rates their lumens more conservatively (or accurately) than most, so their brightness ratings can be relied on. The Urban models are very simple to install and remove, and they have decent run times and are easy to recharge.
Old 12-15-14, 03:24 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
-More for being seen, not seeing in the dead of night. (but the ability to light up a darkened path a little would be nice)
If you want to be seen better, I think the best thing is a moderately powered front flashing light.

The CatEye Reflex Auto Bicycle Front Safety Light TL-LD570-F looks interesting, it comes on and turns off automatically:
https://www.amazon.com/CatEye-Reflex-...t+safety+light

I know as both a biker and a driver that moderately powered front bike lights make the bikes as visible as possible for me. Far better than trying to achieve being seen with a brighter steady front light, and not as annoying as a super bright front light either.
Old 12-28-14, 04:11 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Ordered a cycglolite metro 400 last night from Amazon. It apparently replaced the 360 and was only 47 cents more expensive than the 360 on Amazon, so I went for it lol
Old 12-28-14, 04:46 PM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Bill Nye has a dyno hub because he loves his Earth Mother....
Old 12-28-14, 05:51 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
You get what you pay for.
I will +3 or +4 for Light and Motion Urban