Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Another dead in Richmond, B.C.

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-16, 08:51 PM
Mr. Hairy Legs
Super-spreader

Bikes: shiny red tricycle

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 97 Posts

This was my favourite route when I was into road cycling.

1 cyclist dead, 2 seriously injured after Richmond, B.C. crash - British Columbia - CBC News

There is a blind curve here and the road is very narrow - riding as a pack (i.e. not single file) is really asking for trouble.
Old 11-06-16, 09:50 PM
howsteepisit

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
But the article does not say what conformation the group was riding in. Is there information out there they were riding as a pack?

But most importantly, condolences to the families and injured. RIP to the deceased.

Last edited by howsteepisit; 11-06-16 at 10:01 PM.
Old 11-06-16, 10:07 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5801 Post(s)
Liked 2,619 Times in 1,454 Posts
It isn't even clear whether they were hit from behind, or head on by a car out of it's lane.

The only "facts" given out besides the death and injuries, are that they were wearing helmets and that the CF frames snapped like twigs.

So, I'll do the only reasonable thing for now, which is to express my condolences and hopes for recovery, and await actual info before thinking about the crash itself.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 11-06-16, 10:36 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Hairy Legs

1 cyclist dead, 2 seriously injured after Richmond, B.C. crash - British Columbia - CBC News

There is a blind curve here and the road is very narrow - riding as a pack (i.e. not single file) is really asking for trouble.
I ride that section a couple times a week. It's a sharp corner with no shoulder. Riding single file or two-up makes no difference as there is no room to pass. It's a very popular cycling route and a sad day.
Old 11-06-16, 10:45 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1374 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 280 Posts
Don't mean to be morbid by digging into further details, but note that the crash damage is the to drivers side of the vehicle. I find that surprising.

One thing I do not find surprising, given where this occurred, was that the driver was a 19-year-old in a Lexus SUV...
Old 11-06-16, 10:52 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
It isn't even clear whether they were hit from behind, or head on by a car out of it's lane.

The only "facts" given out besides the death and injuries, are that they were wearing helmets and that the CF frames snapped like twigs.

So, I'll do the only reasonable thing for now, which is to express my condolences and hopes for recovery, and await actual info before thinking about the crash itself.

I'm afraid that's about all that the media outlets notice here as well, motorcycles even, helmet or no helmet.

Like that's a pair of ruby slippers.
Old 11-06-16, 11:02 PM
Mr. Hairy Legs
Super-spreader

Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
Don't mean to be morbid by digging into further details, but note that the crash damage is the to drivers side of the vehicle. I find that surprising.

One thing I do not find surprising, given where this occurred, was that the driver was a 19-year-old in a Lexus SUV...
What I can gather from the local news is that the driver was partially in the oncoming lane (probably to cut the sharp corner) and there just happened to be a pack of cyclists there going the opposite way. But I could be wrong, and he was texting or something...

Locals know this is a popular bike route, but a kid from Burnaby might see it as a fun little race track.
Old 11-07-16, 12:31 AM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts

Way to go, you and the cop start right off with blaming the victims.

Police do not know what caused the crash and all the cyclists appeared to be wearing their helmets.

Meanwhile Colville urged cyclists who use that stretch of road to be careful because accidents have occurred there in the past. He urged cyclists to ride in single file.
Old 11-07-16, 12:37 AM
Mr. Hairy Legs
Super-spreader

Not blame at all, just pointing out that some activities are clearly more dangerous than others.
Old 11-07-16, 12:41 AM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A sad day indeed. That is a sharp blind corner and I can envision many things going wrong which could lead to a bad situaiton.

I wish everyone the best and my most heartfelt condolences to the family who lost a loved one. And a speedy recovery to those injured.
Old 11-07-16, 12:43 AM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

This is not a 'blind curve' in the true sense. There is a curve similar to this one. On the other side of some multi-use train tracks, from the town I live in, that is a true 'blind curve'. Because of trees' on the inside of the curve.

From looking at the pictures' and the map. The cyclists' were hit at the mid-point of the curve. There are no trees' on the inside of the curve, blocking a motorists' line of sight. So, The teenage driver had more than enough time to stop.

City of Richmond BC - Weight, Speed & Height Restrictions

The speed limit on this road is 30km/h, which is barely 20mph. He was speeding.
Old 11-07-16, 12:49 AM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is a sharp corner with very poor sight lines, I would call it a blind corner.

I can imagine a driver turning off Westminster Highway onto River Road and cutting the corner, notice all the paint which is worn away. Plus this stretch is loved by drivers to speed and circumvent traffic.
Old 11-07-16, 12:50 AM
joeyduck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris0516
This is not a 'blind curve' in the true sense. There is a curve similar to this one. On the other side of some multi-use train tracks, from the town I live in, that is a true 'blind curve'. Because of trees' on the inside of the curve.

From looking at the pictures' and the map. The cyclists' were hit at the mid-point of the curve. There are no trees' on the inside of the curve, blocking a motorists' line of sight. So, The teenage driver had more than enough time to stop.

City of Richmond BC - Weight, Speed & Height Restrictions

The speed limit on this road is 30km/h, which is barely 20mph. He was speeding.

https://goo.gl/maps/LBoirNiCAzM2

Right angle, 20km/h. No line of sight until something is coming around the corner. I think this is a 50 km/h road and I would hazard a low ball guess that people regularly surpass 70km/h. @Mr. Hairy Legs, opinions?
Old 11-07-16, 01:33 AM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by joeyduck
https://goo.gl/maps/LBoirNiCAzM2

Right angle, 20km/h. No line of sight until something is coming around the corner. I think this is a 50 km/h road and I would hazard a low ball guess that people regularly surpass 70km/h. @Mr. Hairy Legs, opinions?
This is a 20-32(kmh or mph) road. The posted sign says 20. So, The line of sight is only partially obscured, further down the road.
Old 11-07-16, 02:24 AM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Not blame at all, just pointing out that some activities are clearly more dangerous than others.
In this case your blame has nothing to do with reality.

Go talk to people about real dangers, like jumping of tall buildings.
Old 11-07-16, 02:29 AM
joeyduck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris0516
This is a 20-32(kmh or mph) road. The posted sign says 20. So, The line of sight is only partially obscured, further down the road.
That is the suggested cornering speed.

The car limit is 50 km/h and the truck limit is 30 km/h. People speed on this road.

Source, I used this road.

Regardless a guy died and it sucks.
Old 11-07-16, 08:05 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2136 Post(s)
Liked 1,649 Times in 830 Posts
Originally Posted by joeyduck
It is a sharp corner with very poor sight lines, I would call it a blind corner.

I can imagine a driver turning off Westminster Highway onto River Road and cutting the corner, notice all the paint which is worn away. Plus this stretch is loved by drivers to speed and circumvent traffic.
The article should have put it that way. Adding that motorists should never travel around it at a speed so great that they can't react to any hazards, and that they should never round the bend with any part of their vehicle in the oncoming lane.
Old 11-07-16, 09:51 AM
Mr. Hairy Legs
Super-spreader

This road is quite a gong show. I once saw a near head-on collision where an idiot decided to pass me right in front of an oncoming vehicle. Richmond deliberately narrowed it years ago to discourage street racing, but I think they made it worse.

And yes, everybody in Richmond speeds by at least 40%.
Old 11-07-16, 10:03 AM
yvrdc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to use that road to go to work every day. Sometimes on my bike and sometimes in my car, so I know it pretty well. The thing that surprises me is that the car could be going fast enough to cause that kind of damage. He made a turn from Westminister highway onto River Road, travelled 40m, and then went around the corner where the collision occurred. It is a really tight right angle bend, and I used to take it at about 25 to 30 km/hr. The article describes a loud bang and the frame shattered. This guy must have accelerated pretty hard and gone around the corner pretty fast to cause that kind of damage.

Visibility is pretty poor at that corner because of the elevation change. You're climbing up onto the dike as you round the corner.

Last edited by yvrdc; 11-07-16 at 10:09 AM. Reason: corrected distance
Old 11-07-16, 10:15 AM
Mr. Hairy Legs
Super-spreader

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
The article should have put it that way. Adding that motorists should never travel around it at a speed so great that they can't react to any hazards, and that they should never round the bend with any part of their vehicle in the oncoming lane.
Especially since it's a double-yellow. Common knowledge to anyone with a driver's license, but kids do make mistakes.
Old 11-07-16, 10:38 AM
Mr. Hairy Legs
Super-spreader

Originally Posted by CB HI
In this case your blame has nothing to do with reality.

Go talk to people about real dangers, like jumping of tall buildings.
You're missing the point here... the cop (and myself) are talking about ways to reduce risk on the road, not about who was right or wrong or deserving of all the blame. We don't have the specific details, but if the assumptions are correct, the driver broke the law by cutting across the double yellow line, and the cyclists also broke the law by riding two abreast. Nobody follows any rules here really.
Old 11-07-16, 10:55 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5801 Post(s)
Liked 2,619 Times in 1,454 Posts
Originally Posted by yvrdc
This guy must have accelerated pretty hard and gone around the corner pretty fast to cause that kind of damage.
I won't comment about this collision because I don't have any facts, but want to point point out that neither vehicle has to be traveling fast to cause lots of damage in a head on collision.

Head on damage is the result of the combined speed of the two vehicles, and I can imaging similar consequences even if the bike were moving only as fast as a park bench.

Don't read this to imply that I don't believe the car wasn't moving fast. I don't know any of the particulars and have no opinion. But, by the same token want to remind folks that they likewise can't draw conclusions about the speeds of any or all of the involved parties.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 11-07-16, 11:41 AM
elmore leonard

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I know the area well. Really sad and unexpected. The road is single lane in both directions and people are ask to share the road with cyclists. Nobody deserves this. The driver of the car has a lot to answer for.
Old 11-07-16, 11:53 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2136 Post(s)
Liked 1,649 Times in 830 Posts
You're missing the point here... the cop (and myself) are talking about ways to reduce risk on the road, not about who was right or wrong or deserving of all the blame. We don't have the specific details, but if the assumptions are correct, the driver broke the law by cutting across the double yellow line, and the cyclists also broke the law by riding two abreast. Nobody follows any rules here really.
Can you give me a good link to your bicycle laws?
Old 11-07-16, 12:01 PM
jeichelberg87

Bikes: 2013 Raleigh Revenio 2015 Giant AnyRoad (stolen)2016 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Can you give me a good link to your bicycle laws?

Cycling Regulations, Restrictions & Rules of the Road - Province of British Columbia

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.