Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Carbon vs. Titanium

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-11, 12:33 PM
Andrey
Senior Guest

Bikes: Jamis Endura, Cannondale CAAD, Raleigh Cross, Fausto Coppi.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 31 Posts
Carbon vs. Titanium

I have been thinking of replacing my steel long distance bike with a new bike. I have some requirements for my long distance bikes, like light weight, clearance for 32 mm tires and fender/rack eyelets. I have been drooling over a carbon Jamis Endura 3

https://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebik...thendura3.html

for a while, but recently I discovered a new Motobecane Century Team in titanium.

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...yteam_x_ti.htm

Both have very similar components, geometry and room for wide tires and rack/fender eyelets. Motobecane is cheaper by a $1100.00($2100 vs $3200)
Any opinions would be appreciated.

Last edited by Andrey; 10-25-11 at 09:07 AM.
Old 10-18-11, 04:26 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I really like both of these bikes. More bikes should be built around long reach caliper brakes.

I've gone from steel to titanium to carbon fiber during the last 2 years. Carbon is stiffer, and I like the ride and handling. My titanium bike, a Lynskey built bike, had a plush ride, but was not as stiff.

I'm a big buy on a larger frame, so stiffness is an important issue for me. Can you test ride the Jamis?

I would consider the Ti bike. If you don't like it, you should be able to resell without taking a bath.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 10-18-11 at 04:29 PM.
Old 10-19-11, 04:42 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Juat a question, the answer to which is not evident in your post: Why do you want to replace the steel bike?
Old 10-19-11, 06:04 AM
Andrey
Senior Guest

Bikes: Jamis Endura, Cannondale CAAD, Raleigh Cross, Fausto Coppi.

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 31 Posts
Steel bike is old, tired with 4130 main triangle with heavy seat and chain stays, plus the frame got dented and scratched when traveling to France for the PBP. It also has a worn out 9 speed components. Instead of changing the components and a lighter frame I might as well look at a new bike with new Shimano Ultegra.
Old 10-19-11, 05:14 PM
pwdeegan
smitten by саша

Bikes: Salsa La Cruz with Rohloff; mutt parts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the best part about that steel bike is that you can dent it and still safely ride it. try that out with carbon.

steel bikes just go and go. the so-called weight penalty for the majority of riders is psychological at best. with identical components, a steel-frame bike might weigh a pound or two more. in some cases a good steel frame weighs as much as a poorly made Chinese Ti frame, but the steel will be better built. i write so-called weight penalty, because in your non-racing world of riding, there is no real penalty. e.g., if i go from a combined weight of me+bike 185# to 183#, it won't make any difference to me.

now if you like the ride of a certain bike, then kudos to you. but in terms of frame material, there is a lot of smoke and mirrors. even more so when you're looking at Chinese factory frames.

edit: i should point out that bikesdirect and jamis are, afaik, the latter type of frame.
Old 10-19-11, 05:35 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Among the local LD riders, there is a decided titanium preference, though I've never used either.
Old 10-19-11, 07:43 PM
Homeyba

Bikes: Colnago C-50, Calfee Dragonfly Tandem, Specialized Allez Pro, Peugeot Competition Light

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pwdeegan
the best part about that steel bike is that you can dent it and still safely ride it. try that out with carbon.
I have a dented steel bike (Peugeot) hanging out in the garage. If you think you're brave enough to take it for a ride you are more than welcome... Give me a break on the carbon bikes aren't durable enough for long distance stuff. If you don't hit your bike with a hammer it won't get dented. A good percentage of the bikes at most 1200ks are carbon and if you show up at an ultra-race like RAAM the vast majority of bikes are carbon. One nice thing about high end carbon bikes is that you don't need the crutch of balloon tires to get a good quality ride.

....now if you like the ride of a certain bike, then kudos to you. but in terms of frame material, there is a lot of smoke and mirrors. even more so when you're looking at Chinese factory frames.

edit: i should point out that bikesdirect and jamis are, afaik, the latter type of frame.
The vast majority of bicycles are made and the largest bicycle manufacturers are in China and Taiwan. Some of the best bicycle technology is in China and Taiwan. Is there some crap that comes out of there? You bet, but there is also a lot of high quality stuff coming out of there as well, just like everywhere else.
Old 10-20-11, 12:25 AM
Rowan

There might be crap coming out of China, but I wouldn't tar Taiwain with the same brush. Be very careful there.

deegan makes a point about saving two pounds on the weight of the bike not making a difference. I beg to differ. Two pounds of difference over 30 kilometre might not anything at all, but over 1200 kilometres, there is a fair amount of energy required to putter it around the course.

I've ridden steel and carbon on randonnees. Frankly, I am not sure there is a signficant difference in terms of ride between the three bikes (two steel, one carbon, and the steel ones don't include the tandem).And my observations are skewed by the CF being a design older than five years, one steel frame being older than 10 years and the other steel frame being older than maybe 20 years. I have yet to ride my generic Taiwan-made titanium bike on a randonnee.

However, I definitely won't buy into the carbon durability issue, because I can't see there is any issue whatsoever for long-distance riding, based on my experience and observation of others.

Given similar frame dimensions, I think the ultimate issue in any bike selection comes down to comfort.
Old 10-20-11, 01:26 PM
Homeyba

Bikes: Colnago C-50, Calfee Dragonfly Tandem, Specialized Allez Pro, Peugeot Competition Light

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
...Given similar frame dimensions, I think the ultimate issue in any bike selection comes down to comfort.
Bingo!!!!!
Old 10-20-11, 11:41 PM
Rowan

Actually, re-reading my post, I should have been more specific in saying "fit" rather than comfort. But then, to me, comfort comes only after fit is right.

I suppose otherwise, I could have left the door open for people to suggest that comfort is down to frame material, but as I know through experience and observation, one CF/Ti/Al/Fe bike of a certain dimension and angles won't ride as comfortably as another made of similar or identical materials but with different dimensions and angles.
Old 10-21-11, 12:57 AM
pwdeegan
smitten by саша

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Homeyba
I have a dented steel bike (Peugeot) hanging out in the garage. If you think you're brave enough to take it for a ride you are more than welcome... Give me a break on the carbon bikes aren't durable enough for long distance stuff. If you don't hit your bike with a hammer it won't get dented. A good percentage of the bikes at most 1200ks are carbon and if you show up at an ultra-race like RAAM the vast majority of bikes are carbon. One nice thing about high end carbon bikes is that you don't need the crutch of balloon tires to get a good quality ride.
but, if you're "dented" during the distance in an unsupported ride, chances are the steel bike will get you back. your carbon bike is just compromised---doesn't really dent (gouge, maybe; crack, certainly). seen it a couple of times. once on a light LD credit-card tourer in Russia. a long way to go only to have to end so early. this isn't really news; it's just basic material science. carbon is fine for many applications. the point is, each material has its pros and cons.

The vast majority of bicycles are made and the largest bicycle manufacturers are in China and Taiwan. Some of the best bicycle technology is in China and Taiwan. Is there some crap that comes out of there? You bet, but there is also a lot of high quality stuff coming out of there as well, just like everywhere else.
Yes, and Rowan is also right here: sorry to not further separate between Taiwan and mainland China; as a China-hand "China" 中国 in any mandarin conversation denotes the mainland 99% of the time; one almost always exclusive refers to Taiwan as 台湾 and not 中国. Incidentally I've been to factories in both countries in numerous industries. "Best bicycle technology" in mainland? Not so much. Fabrication plants built by foreign direct investors with SOEs, yes (e.g., Foxcon). Cutting edge R&D on bicycles? No---that happens elsewhere and then is produced in the mainland (and often copied and superficially reproduced, cf. 山寨). Overall, at present QA out of China is not as good as other Asian countries (JP, TW, KR, etc.).

Rowan also makes another good point: for some people 2# at 1200km makes a difference. I'm not one of those for whom it matters much. If you are, there are plenty of gram-shaving opportunities. But i'm of the persuasion to argue that time spent in better training will make more of a difference than shaving 2# for most riders.
Old 10-21-11, 06:09 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

but, if you're "dented" during the distance in an unsupported ride, chances are the steel bike will get you back. your carbon bike is just compromised---doesn't really dent (gouge, maybe; crack, certainly). seen it a couple of times. once on a light LD credit-card tourer in Russia. a long way to go only to have to end so early. this isn't really news; it's just basic material science. carbon is fine for many applications. the point is, each material has its pros and cons.

Yes, and Rowan is also right here: sorry to not further separate between Taiwan and mainland China; as a China-hand "China" 中国 in any mandarin conversation denotes the mainland 99% of the time; one almost always exclusive refers to Taiwan as 台湾 and not 中国. Incidentally I've been to factories in both countries in numerous industries. "Best bicycle technology" in mainland? Not so much. Fabrication plants built by foreign direct investors with SOEs, yes (e.g., Foxcon). Cutting edge R&D on bicycles? No---that happens elsewhere and then is produced in the mainland (and often copied and superficially reproduced, cf. 山寨). Overall, at present QA out of China is not as good as other Asian countries (JP, TW, KR, etc.).

Rowan also makes another good point: for some people 2# at 1200km makes a difference. I'm not one of those for whom it matters much. If you are, there are plenty of gram-shaving opportunities. But i'm of the persuasion to argue that time spent in better training will make more of a difference than shaving 2# for most riders.
Umm... Do you use a carbon fiber bike? Have you ever?
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 10-21-11 at 06:25 AM.
Old 10-21-11, 06:39 AM
The Octopus 

Bikes: Dolan Forza; IRO Jamie Roy; Giant TCR Comp 1; Specialized Tri-Cross Sport; '91 Cannondale tandem; Fuji Tahoe MTB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
The idea that carbon is somehow an inappropriate material for bicycle frames and components is kept alive by personal anecdotes, internet legend, and personal injury lawyers. It has no basis in science.

I think being honest about this issue would recognize that the force to "dent" a steel frame has to come from somewhere. Whether your frame is dented or broken in two, what happens to the rider? The force necessary to bend your typical steel or even cro-mo fork is usually less than the force required to break your carbon one. The problem isn't a bent or broken fork. It's the fact that the stick you picked up or the battery pack that swung down into the front wheel and jammed against the trailing edge of the fork blade caused the front wheel to stop suddenly, and this sent you over the handlebars and into the pavement, landing usually on your face or your head. Who cares if your bicycle is "broken" or "dented?" You have a much bigger problem on your hands.

Most things that would cause enough force to dent or bend a steel frame or to break a carbon one on a ride are going to cause the rider to DNF regardless of what happened to the bicycle.

Pick a material you like. Buy as much quality as you can afford. Make sure it fits you and your riding style and that you're comfortable on it. Properly maintain it. Your frame, no matter what it's made of, should last a lifetime.
Old 10-21-11, 10:41 AM
thebulls

Bikes: SOMA Grand Randonneur, Gunnar Sport converted to 650B, Rivendell Rambouillet, '82 Trek 728, '84 Trek 610, '85 Trek 500, C'Dale F600, Burley Duet, Lotus Legend

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by The Octopus
The idea that carbon is somehow an inappropriate material for bicycle frames and components is kept alive by personal anecdotes, internet legend, and personal injury lawyers. It has no basis in science.
What I worry about with carbon is that a blow that does not cause immediate failure (.e.g, heavy tool dropped by careless mechanic causes unseen damage; or bike falls over, hits sharp piece of steel sticking out of the ground; etc.) will eventually cause a catastrophic failure. With steel, if the sharp piece of steel did not cause a dent that is serious enough to make the bike unsafe/unrideable, then the bike will not become unsafe/unrideable over time.

Nick
Old 10-21-11, 02:51 PM
pwdeegan
smitten by саша

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
Umm... Do you use a carbon fiber bike? Have you ever?
yes and yes.
Old 10-21-11, 03:32 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

yes and yes.
Pictures or it's not true.
Old 10-22-11, 01:12 AM
pwdeegan
smitten by саша

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
Pictures or it's not true.
Calm down big boy.
Old 10-22-11, 10:27 PM
zoolpsu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have Motobecane Century Team Ti (a gift from my wife earlier this year) and would recommend it to others. For me, it was everything I expected-- good value, but I did replace the stock seat, tires, and pedals right out of the box.
Old 10-23-11, 09:47 PM
Homeyba

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think you are way over playing the "frail" carbon bike thing. I've been riding and racing ultra distances for almost 20 years and I can count on one hand the number of people I've seen have their bikes break catastrophically. Doesn't matter what the material is they all break in the right situations but it happens very rarely. When it does happen it's usually a result of a crash and the person wasn't going any farther than the bike afterward. If you are talking about "touring" you are in the wrong forum.

Yes, and Rowan is also right here: sorry to not further separate between Taiwan and mainland China; as a China-hand "China" 中国 in any mandarin conversation denotes the mainland 99% of the time; one almost always exclusive refers to Taiwan as 台湾 and not 中国. Incidentally I've been to factories in both countries in numerous industries. "Best bicycle technology" in mainland? Not so much. Fabrication plants built by foreign direct investors with SOEs, yes (e.g., Foxcon). Cutting edge R&D on bicycles? No---that happens elsewhere and then is produced in the mainland (and often copied and superficially reproduced, cf. 山寨). Overall, at present QA out of China is not as good as other Asian countries (JP, TW, KR, etc.)...
If you spend much time in China they don't differentiate between China and Taiwan. Taiwan is just the rogue province. Yes the engineering is often in other countries but, the manufacturing technology is in China and Taiwan. With proper oversight, QA is perfectly adequate out of China and on par with what is coming out of Taiwan (ask Giant). That is exactly why so many US and European manufacturers have moved their production there. I've been working with Asian, Chinese and Taiwanese suppliers in particular, in my real life job for many years. I'd say you are trivializing their expertise.
Old 10-24-11, 12:23 AM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Titanium and steel is easier to dent, you dent it in the wrong place and it's game over. You can crash a CF a lot harder than those metals before it dents, but when it "dents" it is game over. CF will never fatigue either, so the lifespan of the bicycle is not limited by that.

For those worried about a mechanic "Dropping" a tool..
Old 10-24-11, 04:05 AM
Rowan

Do a search on Bob Dopolina's posts in the Road Forum on the subject of the variable quality of bicycle components to gain an understanding of the differences in the industry between China and Taiwan.
Old 10-24-11, 04:24 PM
pwdeegan
smitten by саша

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think you are way over playing the "frail" carbon bike thing. I've been riding and racing ultra distances for almost 20 years and I can count on one hand the number of people I've seen have their bikes break catastrophically. Doesn't matter what the material is they all break in the right situations but it happens very rarely. When it does happen it's usually a result of a crash and the person wasn't going any farther than the bike afterward. If you are talking about "touring" you are in the wrong forum.
I would agree. I never argued that carbon frames are frail; you inferred that. They're fine bikes for the purpose. Are there still smoke and mirrors regarding so-called frame materials? yes. does that also apply to steel? it can. I realize you're an apologist for carbon, and that's nice. One of my points above (re: smoke and mirrors) is that marketing hype is ridiculous. Rowan summed it best with: fit.

If you spend much time in China they don't differentiate between China and Taiwan. Taiwan is just the rogue province. Yes the engineering is often in other countries but, the manufacturing technology is in China and Taiwan. With proper oversight, QA is perfectly adequate out of China and on par with what is coming out of Taiwan (ask Giant). That is exactly why so many US and European manufacturers have moved their production there. I've been working with Asian, Chinese and Taiwanese suppliers in particular, in my real life job for many years. I'd say you are trivializing their expertise.
Choose your battles, I say. You're mistaken, yes. They do refer to Taiwan is "Taiwan, that renegade province." But in the official 中国大陆 news and in academic papers (e.g., CAJ) Taiwan is never called "China." That would be confusing, to say the least. You'd probably know this if you spoke the language, which I suspect you do not. (Correct me if I'm mistaken about this.)

Your keyword of "proper oversight" sums it up. This is, of course, true in any national context—good QA *can* happen anywhere. The problem in China (i.e., the mainland, i.e., not Taiwan) is that there are still glaring problems with QA oversight, and good oversight often doesn't happen. If you've lived there or spent significant amount of time there, you'd know this. As to why foreign manufacturers have moved to China: QA is not among the top five reasons; labor, plant, and environmental costs are all more major factors.

Now things are always improving (remember Japan of the 1970s?), but I am not trivializing it. I follow and study it for a living. In my real life job, as you call it.
Old 10-24-11, 05:11 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

The quality of manufacturing in mainland China is diverse. If you have traveled to China, as many here have, you will have found many low quality operations. You would have also found many high quality producers. China is a big country with many grades of product and production.

I also am directly involved with China and Chinese manufacturing, my specialty is high value mechanical equipment for heavy industry. It too is my "real life" job. I'm also a published author on the topic of composites.

I continue find you statements to be very limited. They certainly have nothing to do with the original question provided by the OP.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 10-24-11 at 05:34 PM.
Old 10-24-11, 06:50 PM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
There are lots of good product from China, the problem is they also make a lot of lower quality product so reputation is in the ****ter.

I bet if you spend time in taiwain they differentiate themselves from China. Probably why Chinese gov't get so upset when american armed Taiwanese to the teeth. Sure chinese like to call taiwan an SAR, but that is like asking Israel who owns the west bank. Obviously the answer varies!

Man are we off topic.
Old 10-24-11, 10:01 PM
Homeyba

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We could sit here and argue this till the cows come home but I'm not going to change your mind and you're certainly not going to change mine and yes we are way off topic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.