Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on latest Ritchey Logic

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-18, 12:20 AM
RockiesDad

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 17 Posts

Thinking about my next n+1 and was looking into getting a modern steel endurance type bike that can mount some wider tires (~28c). This Ritchey Logic and Comp Logic looks interesting.

https://ritcheylogic.com/frames/road

My questions:

-is this an endurance type of frame that is a bit relaxed? I'm riding a CF CX bike currently which is very comfortable and looking for something similar
-are these triple butted steel tubes fragile? Do they dent easily?
-the Comp and the Road Logic looks similar but the Comp seems to be able to mount 30c tires vs 28c of the Logic. Is this due to 105 brakes vs. Ultegra?

Anyone has this particular bike and what are your thought? I'm sure there are other brands to look at but liked the idea of the pedigree of the brand.
Old 02-24-18, 08:57 AM
Shuffleman

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I wanted to build a new +1 bike last year. I wanted something different and opted for steel. I was going to buy the Logic but came across a Deal on a Kona steel frame that was too good to pass up. I like the bike but still wish I went with the Logic instead. I did go with Ritchey parts everywhere though. Anyway, no they do not dent easily. In fact it would be quite out of the norm to dent any steel or aluminum frame.
I still have my 20 plus years old steel GT mtb that has been through many a ride. It has taken many a bump, fall, tree greet, and etc. There is no dent anywhere to be found.
Old 02-24-18, 11:48 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by RockiesDad
My questions:
A few thoughts that touch on your post-

This is a great read about Ritchey and history. Just linking since its cool stuff.
Chris Kostman's Rough Riders Blog: Any Bike, Anywhere / Classic Cyclist: Tom Ritchey, In His Own Words

As for the triple butted frame- the Logic tubing used to be made by Tange. He partnered with them and it was a customized version of Tange's heat treated Prestige tubing. That started in '85 and was still the partnership into the 90s. Not sure if Tange Prestige is still the tubing used as the current Tange company isnt the same one as the one from c&v years.

The current tubing is heat treated. It doesnt say how thick the tubing is, but based off the listed weight of the 55cm frameset, its probably something like .8/.5/.7 tubing(general guess based on if you subtract out the headset and fork weight)
I doubt itll be extremely thin tubing, even though its heat treated, since they are general production frames that need to last.

As for denting- there are scores of generic marketed Taiwan built steel tube bikes with .8/.5/.8 or .9/.6/.9 heat treated tubing right now which are reliable and can take a beating. Touring frames, cyclocross frames, and road frames all included.
A .8/.5/.8 tube road bike has low risk of denting since its used on pavement and is hardly abused.
If you drop the bike, yup there is a decent chance it dents if it falls the wrong way. But thats hardly a frame issue and just user mistake, which happens.

As for tire clearance, i wouldn't plan for larget than actual 28mm wide tires because of brake reach. 5800 calipers are also advertised as 28mm max tire.
Old 02-24-18, 03:36 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
I've had a soft spot for these frames for a while, it's right up my alley. It's basically a classic steel race bike, executed well. These's no bull**** here: threaded English BB, external cabling, 27.2 seatpost with a simple integrated clamp... all very standard and all easy to live with. The frames have a traditional parallel race geometry in the larger sizes and all reviews say it rides very well. This frame has a reasonably long headtube, which should provide a more upright "endurance" fit if you buy slightly on the larger side of things. Tire fit is likely more driven by calipers than the frame. The frame is supposedly well made and tough. There are other options out there for $1,200, but I'd probably pick the Ritchey if I were buying this type of frame.

For $100 more, you can get the classic rocket-pop paintjob:
https://ritcheylogic.com/2018-herita...meset-rwb-fade

That makes this an even better choice, IMO. They only made 100 of them, though.

Last edited by Hiro11; 02-24-18 at 03:42 PM.
Old 02-24-18, 07:19 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
In general, owning several of their bars, seat posts - quality stuff.
If I wanted a[nother] steel frame, I'd give them a serious look.
Old 02-24-18, 08:00 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
OP asked if the Ritchie Logic triple butted tubes might be delicate or dent easily.

I'd be interested to know too.

I'm considering a custom build from Rodriguez in Seattle. They offer Reynolds 725, Vari-Wall Thermlx and TrueTemper S3 tubesets. The person I'm dealing with said that the TruTemper S3 tubes are super light and one has to be a little careful with them. They are thin enough to where they are shaped to give additional strength.

I'm leaning toward the Thermlx because of concerns about uber light triple butted tubes like this but I really don't know much about the topic and hope that someone could answer the OPs question about how delicate Ritchie's tubeset specifically and similar triple butted steel tubes might be.

-Tim-
Old 02-24-18, 11:00 PM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
I ride the previous (grey) version of the Ritchey Logic 2.0. My Ritchey Logic is a 55cm, built with Campag Chorus, Record hubs/HED Belgium+, and Ritchey WCS bars/stem/post. Right now it is my favorite ride – it never fails to make me smile. I gave into a riding buddy and sold him my Ridley Damocles since I wasn't riding anymore, the Ritchey has pretty much taken over for all the rides I used the Damocles for.

The blue (or Heritage) Logic frame replaces the older grey Logic frame. They fixed a couple of issues on the blue frame - they gave it clearance for 30mm tires (the grey only had clearance for 25mm in back, 23mm in front, at least with Conti SP4000SII) causing a slight increase in wheelbase and a stiffer fork. On my grey Logic frame the bike turns in fine but takes a little more steering input than I like. The new fork apparently fixes this. The older grey frame also had clearance issues with Campag 2015+ UT chainsets, but I’m not 100% sure this was fixed on the new Logic frame.

The tubeset is durable, not at all fragile. Mine is a 55cm, I weigh 82kg, and I don’t baby the bike. I have 14,000+ km on mine, about ¼ of that is on gravel and dirt. I tend to transport this bike by tossing it the back of my Subi, where as all my other bikes get the roof rack. I’d never take the Damocles on some of the roads & trails I’ll take the Ritchey on, and would never transport it outside of a rack. I have barely a scratch on the Ritchey, let alone any dents. This frame is plenty durable.

On the Comp vs. Road Logic, the Comp is the new blue Logic frame built with 105 & Ritchey Comp parts, while the Road Logic is the older grey Logic frame built with Ultegra and Ritchey WCS parts. I’d expect the Road Logic to go away when the frame supply runs out. The 30mm vs 28mm tires difference is due to the changes in the blue Logic frame to accommodate larger tires. 28mm in the grey Road Logic is pretty optimistic in my opinion.
Likes For RGMN:
Old 02-25-18, 06:19 AM
Maaku

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a lot of experience riding and traveling the past year with a 2018 Road Logic model with the 30C clearance. Easily clears a 29mm (inflated width) tire with latest-gen Campy Chorus brakes. Ride quality and bump absorption is excellent, as i'd expect with a steel frame.

(Photos are shown with 25c tire)

1. I would say the handling is quite stable from the geometry, but with the small headtube it lends itself to a more aggressive fit. On my size 51, it has a 115mm (!) headtube. I generally run a pretty big saddle-to-bar drop but I still use 10mm of spacers on my 51, not including the top cap.

2. It does not feel like a fragile frame whatsoever and it hasn't sustained a dent from pretty rugged use so far.

3. Not sure what difference is as I purchased the frameset only.

Last edited by Maaku; 02-25-18 at 06:23 AM.
Old 02-25-18, 09:39 AM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
It's the hotness. It tempts me to sell my current road bike to replace it with this.
Old 02-25-18, 04:57 PM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
If you're looking for a wider tire road bike, why even consider rim brakes when there are tons of great disc bikes around with much better clearance (and better braking...and no need to worry about worn brake tracks down the line...). The Ritchey road bikes are pretty generic for the price, also. Looking for a wide-tired road bike with sidepulls is just an expensive compromise.

If I were going to spend $2-3k on a new road bike, I'd go with an All City Cosmic Stallion. Or maybe get Surly's new Midnight Special as a frameset and put a carbon fork on it. Or I'd just go custom.
Old 02-25-18, 05:12 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
In general, owning several of their bars, seat posts - quality stuff.
If I wanted a[nother] steel frame, I'd give them a serious look.
If Tom was still building the frames, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a[nother] Ritchey.

Likes For noodle soup:
Old 02-25-18, 07:42 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
^^ Please post the other side of that bike.
Old 02-26-18, 12:38 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by TimothyH
^^ Please post the other side of that bike.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 02-27-18, 01:10 PM
RockiesDad

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 17 Posts
Nice! Do you actually ride this on Sunday mornings or just hang it on the wall as art?

I saw this before and its what get me interested in Ritchey. Still dreaming about my next bike and getting closer everyday to getting one. The blue color of the Comp version looks like the same blue. This with silver components looks classy IMO...
Old 02-27-18, 04:27 PM
Wspsux

Bikes: Waterford, Salsa, Rivendell

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
I'd look into the All City mr. Pink too. not as timeless but a great bike
Old 02-27-18, 06:22 PM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by TenGrainBread
The Ritchey road bikes are pretty generic for the price, also. Looking for a wide-tired road bike with sidepulls is just an expensive compromise.

If I were going to spend $2-3k on a new road bike, I'd go with an All City Cosmic Stallion. Or maybe get Surly's new Midnight Special as a frameset and put a carbon fork on it. Or I'd just go custom.
Originally Posted by Wspsux
I'd look into the All City mr. Pink too. not as timeless but a great bike
Having had a Surly Pacer (which I believe is the same geometry as the Midnight Special but rim brakes) and a Mr. Pink, the Road Logic is a big step above these in ride and handling. They also made me swear off of QBP frames. A bit too much hype and not enough execution IMHO.
Old 02-27-18, 06:35 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
I had a Ritchey Breakaway, the take-apart frame for air travel. It is not identical to the Logic in geometry and tubing, but it is extremely similar. Most comfortable frame I have ever ridden. Light, sturdy, reasonably priced, and comfy. What's not to like?

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 02-27-18, 06:50 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Tom has not put flame to steel in many many years.....they are all mad in ASIA but I hope to have one very soon
Old 02-27-18, 07:01 PM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by RGMN
Having had a Surly Pacer (which I believe is the same geometry as the Midnight Special but rim brakes) and a Mr. Pink, the Road Logic is a big step above these in ride and handling. They also made me swear off of QBP frames. A bit too much hype and not enough execution IMHO.
I agree that Q frames are a little overhyped. If you have the money I'd always say go custom over a Q bike. Gunnars are a great option being semi-custom and US made, and you can get a build for around $3k easily. But the Cosmic Stallion is legit. The tubeset (they call it ACE) is actually lighter than an 853 tubeset. In terms of weight and butting profile it can't be heavier than whatever the Logic tubeset is.

In fact I wouldn't be surprised if the Ritchey frames were made by the same manufacturer in Taiwan as the All City frames.
Old 02-27-18, 07:20 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by thehammerdog
Tom has not put flame to steel in many many years.....they are all made in ASIA
Sadly this is true. Mine was built in 1993.
Old 02-27-18, 07:24 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by TenGrainBread
I wouldn't be surprised if the Ritchey frames were made by the same manufacturer in Taiwan as the All City frames.
Of course being manufactured in the same factory, doesn't really mean much.
Old 02-27-18, 10:19 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Of course being manufactured in the same factory, doesn't really mean much.
Why 'of course?
I know of a few Taiwan manufacturers who build quality steel frames for US and Euro brands. Thats just from casual reading about steel manufacturers over there thru the years. Im sure there are more than the few i can think of.
Old 02-28-18, 07:12 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Why 'of course?
I know of a few Taiwan manufacturers who build quality steel frames for US and Euro brands. Thats just from casual reading about steel manufacturers over there thru the years. Im sure there are more than the few i can think of.
Do you really need an explanation?
Old 02-28-18, 09:48 AM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked 668 Times in 280 Posts
Logic

I have the grey version and I will say I love it! At 17.4 lbs for the bike as pictured, it's almost as light as my carbon bike... The frame is really good at absorbing road shock yet it still handles admirably. I'd buy it again...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Logic.jpg (1.12 MB, 889 views)
Old 02-28-18, 09:50 AM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked 668 Times in 280 Posts
And the All City Mr. Pink is nice but I'm pretty sure it would weigh at least a couple more pounds built up the same way...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.