Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Studded pedals for Catrike Villager

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Old 09-11-20, 08:23 AM
Scubaquarius

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts

Anyone know where I can buy some nice studded pedals for my wife's catriker so her feet don't slip off the pedals?

Thanks,
Scubaquarius
Old 09-11-20, 09:11 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
I believe that Catrikes are supplied with clipless type pedals requiring the use of cleated shoes for foot retention. This works well, but it's not for everyone. I rode clipless pedals for years, but in the last few years foot pain issues forced me to abandon them in favor of platform type. On my trike, I initially tried heel straps attached to toe clip cages. These worked great, but they were difficult to get in an out of. Last week I switched to a set of Power Grip straps and like them very much. I have yet to take a long ride using them, but I think they will be exactly what I need.

I really don't think that studded MTB pedals will add much to prevent foot slips and recommend that you try a more positive foot retention system. If you are determined to try studded pedals, I'd recommend buying the cheapest set of aggressive stud pedals to test out. If your wife likes them, then you can invest in a better set.

Good luck and let use know how it goes.
Old 09-11-20, 11:42 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
The pedals that came with my 2013 CT700 were dual sided so you could ride either clipless or platform. I didn't use them.

You can try searching on "platform pedals" on eBay. They have them in the 9/16" axle size for as little as $13.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Pair-MTB-....c100005.m1851
I prefer to use ordinary shoes for riding my trike so I use strapless toe clips. Been doing that since 2003 with no problem keeping my feet on the pedals. I think the last pair cost me around $7.
similar to these

Old 09-11-20, 04:17 PM
unionmanbirch

Bikes: Origami Crane 8, 1985 Schwinn Voyageur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts
A lot of trike riders would advise you to use clipless pedals or some sort of foot retention for safety - to avoid your feet coming off the pedals if you hit a pothole and getting sucked down and possibly run over. Having said that, I use the OneUp composite pedals on my two wheel LWB recumbent with five ten freeriders and love them. The pins hold my feet securely.
Old 09-12-20, 05:58 AM
GeezyRider 

Bikes: There is always room for one more.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 380 Times in 222 Posts
Last summer we took out trikes to our place in Chincoteague to ride them while on the island. When we got there my wife realized she had forgotten her clipless sandals. Luckily, I had a pair of pinned platform pedals in the shed there and put them on her Catrike Trail. She rode like that without incident for a week but still feels safer clipped in on the trike.
Old 09-12-20, 06:22 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Another thing to consider would be some Shimano Click'R pedals, much easier to unclip.
Otherwise some Shimano PD-GR500 are very good pedals, the old model Saints rebadged.
Old 09-12-20, 07:32 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
A trike is a BAD place not to use pedal retention.

Just as a test, ride forward slowly and drop your feet to the ground.
Likes For Juan Foote:
Old 09-17-20, 10:26 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I too really urge anyone riding a tadpole trike to use clipless pedals. You can get a really bad case of foot and leg suck if your foot falls off the pedal at speed.
Old 09-17-20, 12:07 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
I too really urge anyone riding a tadpole trike to use clipless pedals. You can get a really bad case of foot and leg suck if your foot falls off the pedal at speed.

It only takes once, if you make it through, not to do it again.
Likes For Juan Foote:
Old 09-18-20, 04:47 PM
boilermaker1

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
I'll answer the question asked. I bought Race Face Chester studded mountain bike pedals from Amazon and installed them on my Catrike Trail. The studs are so aggressive my feet never slip and I must consciously lift my feet to reposition them on the pedals. I bought yellow ones to match my trike.

Last edited by boilermaker1; 09-18-20 at 04:52 PM.
Old 11-04-20, 09:58 AM
Dchiefransom

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I'm a bit late here, but have you looked at Power Grips pedals? You wear regular shoes and put your foot into the strap at an angle. The pedal is the old knife edge MTB type. https://www.powergrips.com/
Old 11-04-20, 02:16 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 521 Posts
Originally Posted by Dchiefransom
I'm a bit late here, but have you looked at Power Grips pedals? You wear regular shoes and put your foot into the strap at an angle. The pedal is the old knife edge MTB type. https://www.powergrips.com/
Love me some PowerGrips. Have many bikes and tandems. Adds up to LOTS of pairs of PowerGrips. Naturally when I got my first bent I got PowerGrips for it. Actually I took a set of pedals with PowerGrips on them off of a tandem that wasn't being used. Enough is enough after like 10 pairs (seriously). TL;DR I found the PowerGrips useless for keeping my feet securely on the bent pedals. No matter how tight I cinched them my feet were able to drop right out when a pedal was in the 12:00 position. So I found myself going clipless late in the game. Shimano MT-520 pedals are dirt cheap and, well, Shimano, what more need be said? Giro Rumble SPD shoes are also very affordable and Giro is a long established brand that can be trusted.
Old 11-05-20, 03:03 PM
Scubaquarius

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Hi everyone,

I went with a pair of Chester Racers. My wife loves them so far.

Appreciate everyone's comments,
Scubaquarius
Old 07-16-23, 08:27 AM
ViO

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Scubaquarius
Anyone know where I can buy some nice studded pedals for my wife's catriker so her feet don't slip off the pedals?

Thanks,
Scubaquarius

I went with Oneup Aluminum studded. Well built and absolutely no foot slip at all. Just a great high quality pedal in many colors.