Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Biking the NJ shore questions

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-20, 04:41 AM
TBlackwell600

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail, Canyon Endurance AL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

A couple of weeks ago, I decided to take a drive to AC and bike to OC NJ and back but I didn't notice any other bikers going to or coming from Ocean Dr. bridge. I thought about biking across the other bridge from Somers Point (Rt 52 ?) but wasn't sure if either were open to bike traffic. (I opted to shorten by ride and just bike into Somers Point then back to AC.)
At some point, I'd like to bike from AC to Cape May or into DE but I'm not sure if bikes are permitted on some of these bridges. Thanks in advance for the info.
Old 06-29-20, 05:08 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by TBlackwell600
A couple of weeks ago, I decided to take a drive to AC and bike to OC NJ and back but I didn't notice any other bikers going to or coming from Ocean Dr. bridge. I thought about biking across the other bridge from Somers Point (Rt 52 ?) but wasn't sure if either were open to bike traffic. (I opted to shorten by ride and just bike into Somers Point then back to AC.)
At some point, I'd like to bike from AC to Cape May or into DE but I'm not sure if bikes are permitted on some of these bridges. Thanks in advance for the info.
All bridges along Ocean Drive (Not U.S. 9) are open to bikes. (Back in the day they used to charge bikes the same toll as cars.) But there is no bridge from Cape May to DE. You have to take the Cape May-Lewes Ferry, which is a nice ride. Not sure if they are allowing foot/bike traffic yet due to COVID. Check the ferry website. Lewes is a nice town, Cape Henlopen State Park is a great place to ride through.

Actually not as far as I remembred:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/33184427

Depending on the hour, I would probably ride the boardwalks whenever possible. Cycling through Sea Isle and Strathmere sucks. Stone Harbor and Avalon are much better. Ocean City is not bad.

Last edited by indyfabz; 06-29-20 at 08:01 AM.
Old 06-29-20, 05:18 AM
TBlackwell600

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail, Canyon Endurance AL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I appreciate the info. I was aware of the ferry and it's part of the reason for wanting to bike this. Thanks !!!

Originally Posted by indyfabz
All bridges along Ocean Drive (Not U.S. 9) are open to bikes. (Back in the day they used to charge bikes the same toll as cars.) But there is no bridge from Cape May to DE. You have to take the Cape May-Lewes Ferry, which is a nice ride. Not sure if they are allowing foot/bike traffic yet due to COVID. Check the ferry website. Lewes is a nice town, Cape Henlopen State Park is a great place to ride through.
Old 06-29-20, 06:44 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by TBlackwell600
I appreciate the info. I was aware of the ferry and it's part of the reason for wanting to bike this. Thanks !!!
The AC train station to the ferry terminal is over 50 miles one way, IIRC.

See above.

Also, definitely check the website. There is a serious screening process for foot passengers that includes showing up 45 min. before sailing:

https://www.cmlf.com/foot-passenger-travel-information

Last edited by indyfabz; 06-29-20 at 09:04 AM.
Old 10-13-20, 12:47 PM
mstig

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Cape May Ferry ends in Lewes, DE. There are some great bike paths in Cape Henlopen State Park. I have friends who live in Rehoboth Beach and have biked there several times. I highly recommend it. Google Cape Henlopen State Park.