Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What Affects You More, Heat or Cold or Both?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What Affects You More, Heat or Cold or Both?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-20, 08:04 AM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 137 Posts
Before I moved to Tucson I used to be a part time ski instructor in Washington, but when it comes to riding I have never liked the cold. I do not like bundling up to ride a bike.

I've never really understood that.

​​​​
Old 12-06-20, 08:30 AM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
I'm 58 and I find the heat affects me more now. Above a sunny 85 degrees Fahrenheit and it really saps my energy. My ideal temp is 60 to 70. I can do from 40 to 60 well, and 70 to 85 well. Anything above or below those temps and its not very enjoyable for me.
Old 12-06-20, 09:00 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
I'm 58 and just finishing 28 years of commuting in Colorado Springs. It rarely officially breaks 100F here, but because of the thin air at this altitude (6500 feet) temperatures in direct sunlight can be much higher. On the other hand, it's a dry heat.

I personally prefer the cold...I can dress to match and heat myself through exertion. With heat, I find it harder to keep cool. Covering exposed skin helps fight the heat of the sun, and modern fabrics that aid in evaporation, also help with cooling. But even still, I prefer cold temperatures.

Here in Colorado I can ride up to 97F or 98F where the temps officially top out, but I'm comfortable only up to about 85F.

I also ride down to 5F, although I'm comfortable only down to 10F.

But riding in 5F is more comfortable to me than 98F.
Old 12-06-20, 09:14 AM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
I hate the cold. I function better with 65-up. I don't care if it's even in the 90's.
Old 12-06-20, 09:22 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
P.S. This thread is not intended as a debate of who is more macho, worthy, wimpy or just right, so please don’t go there.
Good luck with that.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 12-06-20, 09:22 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Well, the climate in my region dictates that there aren't really very many super hot days. So that's taken care of. On the cold side, cold can be turned into heat with clothing. I've got that clothing for other activities anyway. I continue with utilitarian riding (commuting, shopping, etc) during the winter, but take a break from recreational riding and switch to walking and skiing. Also, it seems like making it a routine activity like commuting eliminates the whole motivation thing. Several years ago I switched from "maybe I'll ride if the conditions are right" to "I'll ride no matter what and equip myself to do so."

It's certainly not a macho thing. I'm probably the least athletic cyclist here. It's just something that I chose for myself, a little adventure that I can pretend is cool. I actually think that unless you're an inherently competitive person, it's better to just be matter of fact about it, rather than tying it to your self image. Just say: "I'm riding today because I always ride," even if "always" is just yesterday.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 12-06-20, 09:35 AM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
It may matter that I am pretty much a pure utility rider, and performance, energy, and enthusiasm are basically irrelevant. I bike to get to work and back, run errands, and have lunch. I don't see it as recreation or sport, so "Ride hard, drink lots, and be drenched in sweat like you had done twice the work." is not my way. I'm riding to work, not doing work and it feels the same at 73 as it did at 13. Also, driving my car on a wet, salty road is completely out of the question. It's a half hour ride to my office, so 1.5 hour rides never enter my mind. Modern ski gloves and overshoes are so much warmer than they were 60 years ago, so extremities are far more comfortable than they were at 13. Because of my attitudes, I'm probably only a good data point when compared with similar people.
Likes For PaulH:
Old 12-06-20, 10:24 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I live in the snow belt, and absolutely hate the cold.

If you cant ride without being bundled up like the Michelin man, for me it ceases to be fun. I dont really like to ride unless it is warm enough to ride in shorts. I hate long pants.

Last edited by rydabent; 12-07-20 at 09:39 AM.
Old 12-06-20, 10:29 AM
RunningPirate

Bikes: 1970? Dawes Galaxy (cannibalized), 197? Bob Jackson Frankenbike, 1989 Jamis Diablo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Heat gets me more. I run hot, so even if i set out in cold weather with a beanie, I take it off in 5 mins or so. That said, lower temp on a bike would be 45°F (I can go into the 30’s if im running). Upper limit depends on humidity. 85 and dry i can do. 85 and humidity, I can’t.
Old 12-06-20, 10:46 AM
jskash

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Sirrus 6 and 2018 Giant Escape Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
Cold bothers me more.. The temps have been in the 30s on my early morning rides where I live in the west San Fernando Valley of Los Angeles. It just plain hurts to ride in those temps. I do it anyway, but I am not comfortable most of the ride. I had to cut my ride short this morning. I was just too cold. I plan on going out later in the day as things warm up.
Old 12-06-20, 10:51 AM
Gyro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 49 Posts
I prefer heat to cold. Other than sleeping, then the other way around.
Old 12-06-20, 10:58 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 5,628 Times in 2,916 Posts
My attitude for several years was, when it’s cold you can always add more layers, but when it is too hot, you can only take off so much before you are arrested.

Now I take little pleasure in having stinging or frozen toes and fingers, or riding in downpours, so I move to the trainer. When temps are too hot, likewise. (Cycling shoes and shorts in front of a fan).

Old 12-06-20, 11:49 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
In my 20s, riding in the high 80s and low 90s was my favorite. Ride hard, drink lots, and be drenched in sweat like you had done twice the work.
As a bike commuter during the winter (converted hard tail mtn bike with slicks, fenders and lights) I was happy at 35*+ and not so much below that due to cold extremities.

Now in my mid 60s, I am finding that those high 80s and low 90s really sap my energy and make riding longer than 1.5 hours a drag. Similarly since I don’t have to bike commute for many years, road biking below 40* is not enjoyable, but mtn biking is because I can warm up faster and stay warmer.

So what temps do you now decide to avoid because it saps your energy and enthusiasm? Providing your age as a data point would help. Inquiring trolls want to know.

P.S. This thread is not intended as a debate of who is more macho, worthy, wimpy or just right, so please don’t go there.
my ideal is mid-60s - just slightly chilly. Anything above 80ish I start to suffer. By 95 I’ll probably bag it. It was 32 when I planned on going out today, but it was the frost on the road rather than the temperature that prompted me to hold off for hour until 38 and sun had burnt off the frost. I can do low 30s with a couple of jerseys, arm warmers, tights over my bibs and full fingered gloves. I could likely go lower with more clothes, but I’m not interested in riding like the Michelin Man. I think I’ve become more cold-tolerant and heat-sensitive as I’ve aged.

Last edited by Litespud; 12-06-20 at 11:55 AM.
Old 12-06-20, 11:57 AM
bmcer

Bikes: Full campy Record EPS BMC Team Machine slr01, Canyon CF SL 8.0 Endurance

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 66 Posts
I do not tolerate temps any colder that 55 degrees. I have ridden in 110+ heat when I lived in Chico, CA. Extra water in frozen bottles was all I needed. But cold... By the time I've got enough layers on to avoid teeth-rattling chills, I can't get a leg over the bike.
Old 12-06-20, 12:04 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Now, don't get me wrong, I certainly have a preferred temperature range. When it's in the 50s to 70s, I'll be on my bike at the expense of pretty much all of my responsibilities.

And "cold" changes with the seasons. In October, 30 is cold. In March, it's warm.

Now I think Yogi Berra said, "You can learn a lot just by watching." If you watch the cyclists on your preferred route, throughout the year, you can observe the ups and downs of the seasons. There are definitely more cyclists out there when it's nice out, no doubt about that. So you're not alone if you have a preferred set of conditions. And if you look closer, you'll see that the riders who are out there in bad weather don't look any different from the good weather riders -- a mix of young and old, fast and slow. I'm one of the slow ones.

The one thing I've noticed is that when I'm riding in the rain, or in the cold, most of the cyclists I encounter have a smile on their faces. I think we realize that we can all choose our battles, but we don't always choose correctly, and once we're past our driveway,we might as well enjoy it.
Old 12-07-20, 08:59 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2602 Post(s)
Liked 1,925 Times in 1,208 Posts
I can deal with the cold, once I finish unpacking my winter cycling clothes anyways. Hot summer days, it looks like it'd be a beautiful day for a ride, but when the temperature gets into the upper 90s (or above), I have to shorten my rides. I thought a few years back that if I lost, say, 50 pounds I'd have a better surface area to volume ratio and could therefore ride better in the heat. That didn't pan out.
Old 12-07-20, 09:41 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I can tolerate temps from 60 to 100, and the ideal would be 80 to 84.
Old 12-07-20, 12:01 PM
Gary in NJ

Bikes: 2020 Fuji Gran Fondo 1.3, 2015 Trek FrankenMarlin Gravel Thing

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 31 Posts
Even on the hottest day of the summer, it's probably going to be somewhere in the 70's or worst case low 80's at sunrise...which is the time I choose to ride in the summer. In the fall and spring I can ride mid-day to get the best riding temperature of the day.

Winter is winter...all day.
Old 12-07-20, 02:00 PM
MNebiker

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 83 Posts
I'm in Minnesota - it gets cold up here! My cutoff is somewhere between 40 or 45 degrees, depending on the wind. Helmet liner, thermal underwear, full finger gloves make it workable. I have seen some riders on fatties wearing snowmobile suits on a zero day, but I can't see that as being fun. Summer usually isn't scorching hot like the SW, so heat isn't that much of an issue. Like Gary in NJ says, there is usually a cooler part of the day to ride.