Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Has anyone seen a back rack like this one?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-21, 09:14 AM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts

for some reason bulls put this strange mounted back rack on their bike. the bracket is part of the disc brake mount. I jsut want a rack that has one top bar it makes it harder to drop my pannier onto it. but I don't know if there is a rack that would replace it.

Old 04-03-21, 09:32 AM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 336 Posts
That rack may have been part of a child carrier.

Of course you can replace it. My preference is Bontrager's Backrack models, but ToPeak makes a good line called Explorer. You should select a model that's compatible with disc brakes.
Old 04-03-21, 10:05 AM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by oldbobcat
That rack may have been part of a child carrier.

Of course you can replace it. My preference is Bontrager's Backrack models, but ToPeak makes a good line called Explorer. You should select a model that's compatible with disc brakes.
no it came with the bike. it had a stupid spring clamp on top. but if you look the disc caliper bolts run through it. thats real odd not sure how a regular rack would mount. this is a e bike built around the mid drive.
Old 04-03-21, 10:15 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4197 Post(s)
Liked 3,849 Times in 2,300 Posts
Many low cost E bikes don't follow the typical bike industry norms for parts and/or accessories.

I suspect the rack will do rack duty just fine but that it mounts with the same bolts as the brake caliper I think is so wrong. Rack bolts are well known for their tendency to loosen over time and use. I sure wouldn't want my brake to also come loose... Andy
Old 04-03-21, 10:18 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
I think you could use just about any rear rack and attach the bottom to either of those attachment points on the brake adapter mount. Use the hole that puts the rack at the height you prefer. Just get a shorter bolt for the brake mount hole the rack isn't using.

Edit: you might need a rack with a little standoff to make it clear the brake caliper. Many rack makers make disc specific version, like this Topeak Explorer Disc:

Last edited by tyrion; 04-03-21 at 10:25 AM.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 04-03-21, 12:22 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Many low cost E bikes don't follow the typical bike industry norms for parts and/or accessories.

I suspect the rack will do rack duty just fine but that it mounts with the same bolts as the brake caliper I think is so wrong. Rack bolts are well known for their tendency to loosen over time and use. I sure wouldn't want my brake to also come loose... Andy
this is not a low end bike its a bulls bike at 3700.00 but the rack is the only oddball part on it everything else is stock bike parts.

Last edited by fooferdoggie; 04-03-21 at 12:25 PM.
Old 04-03-21, 12:24 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by tyrion
I think you could use just about any rear rack and attach the bottom to either of those attachment points on the brake adapter mount. Use the hole that puts the rack at the height you prefer. Just get a shorter bolt for the brake mount hole the rack isn't using.

Edit: you might need a rack with a little standoff to make it clear the brake caliper. Many rack makers make disc specific version, like this Topeak Explorer Disc:

I will check it out. the rack on it is rated for about 50 pounds. I don't carry that much but I can carry 30 pounds or so.
Old 04-03-21, 01:21 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4197 Post(s)
Liked 3,849 Times in 2,300 Posts
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
this is not a low end bike its a bulls bike at 3700.00 but the rack is the only oddball part on it everything else is stock bike parts.
Understood. It seems that non traditional accessory design is part of your bike too. Andy
Old 04-03-21, 01:54 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Understood. It seems that non traditional accessory design is part of your bike too. Andy
I nave noticed the racks seem different. both my e bikes had that stupid mousetrap spring on the top of the rack and a strange design. I can live with it but I miss the ability to drop the bag on one handed. this bike was designed for fast commuting so its a bit of a oddball.
Old 04-03-21, 03:36 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2743 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
It doesn't appear the bike is set up for seatstay rack mounts like a conventional rack. Not that P clips aren't an option.
​​​​​​https://www.bullsbikesusa.com/twenty8-e45-diamond.html
Old 04-03-21, 03:50 PM
fooferdoggie 

it is connected right below the seat. there is a bar that connects it on the inside of the fender to the cross section of the frame. so its goes through the fender at the end of the rack then connects to the crossmember through a tapped hole. so it may not be practical to replace it.

Old 04-03-21, 05:31 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion

Those are good. So are these:

Either way, it looks like you will need a pair of P-clamps to attach the rack stays to the seat stays, or a monostay adapter to attach to the seat tube, as it appears your seat stays have no eyelets. About six bucks. Your dealer will explain these.

Last edited by oldbobcat; 04-03-21 at 05:37 PM.
Old 04-03-21, 08:45 PM
fooferdoggie 

with the tai-light wire and fender mount and hassle with the brake mount I doubt its worth the effort to change over. plus I would only want a flat bar on the bottom. its so much easier to deal with.
Old 04-03-21, 08:53 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Let's see a picture of the complete unit and how the pannier mounts
Old 04-03-21, 08:57 PM
fooferdoggie 

I will get a little closer tomorrow.

Old 04-04-21, 03:20 AM
Ross200

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 34 Posts
This "oddball" rack looks like a creative clone of the very well regarded and popular Tubus/Racktime rear racks. IS disc mounts don't play well with many rear racks and the panniers rub on the brake caliper over time. Ortleib panniers drop right on the lower rail without disturbing what you have mounted on the platform. It seems to be a common European commuting/touring setup.
Old 04-04-21, 06:29 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

So the issue is the top main frame bar forming the "platform" interferes with placing your pannier on the lower bar.
Old 04-04-21, 08:11 AM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by dedhed
So the issue is the top main frame bar forming the "platform" interferes with placing your pannier on the lower bar.
right because the Ortleib panniers tend to tip away when they are loaded. it's not a huge deal just a bit of an annoyance. .