Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Coast by Huffy - 12-speed

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 04-07-21, 06:40 AM
autopeduffe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hi

I just bought a bicycle with a brand name totaly new for me, "Coast by Huffy". It's a 12-speed shimano with road bike looks and it seems like the model name is "America"
For me, living in Sweden, i had never heard about neither Huffy nor Coast by Huffy before and thew simplicity of the frame got me curious. Seems like the rear dropouts are just inserted to the chainstays and pressed.
The serial number on the bottom bracket reads "80548HUFFY87948"
I would love to have attached some images to this thread, but there is a limitation of 10 posts before allowed to do so.

So, do anyone have any idea on what this bike is and the history of where it was sold and what year it might be from?
Old 04-07-21, 06:58 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,559 Times in 3,763 Posts
Pic Assist - https://www.bikeforums.net/g/album/21070473

Old 04-07-21, 07:00 AM
autopeduffe

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for helping with the images!
Likes For autopeduffe:
Old 04-07-21, 07:42 AM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
Not much to say- similar to many entry-level, department-store road bikes a lot of us American kids started out on.

It’s likely mid 90s based on the Shimano Exage Motion group. It’s a basic, heavy carbon steel frame with stamped dropouts & a heavy one-piece crank, maybe nutted brakes. Maybe later than I thought cause it looks like they tried to use a bit of dropped seatstay geometry there like the early Giant TCR of that time??

I would re-do those cables and also watch out for that stem- looks too high to me. Check that minimum height marking.
Likes For Charliekeet:
Old 04-07-21, 07:48 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,826 Times in 1,994 Posts
Remove the stem- unwind the bolt 3-4 turns tap to loosen and extract, give a bit of grease.
make sure upon reassembly that it has 2-2 1/2” inserted in the steerer- there should alternately be a minimum insertion mark.

it just looks very high in the images.
Likes For repechage:
Old 04-07-21, 07:53 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,913 Times in 655 Posts
Huffy is a brand of bicycles that were made originally near Dayton, Ohio. They were the cheapest kind of bicycles and sold through big box or megastores like K-Mart or Walmart. They were not sold by normal bike stores because they were so cheaply made. I read once that this kind of bike averaged about 75 miles (120 km) for its enter life. Around the yaar 2000 they could no longer compete with Chinese made bicycles and they stopped manufacturing them in the US. I think they went bankrupt and the name was bought out and the brand still exists. Walmart helped with their demise. Walmart's buying strategy was to order huge numbers and then demand steep discounts - which Huffy couldn't match with American labor costs. I remember them costing about $100 right after the American bike boom in 1970 and the price never seemed to change much until they went bankrupt.

They name Huffy became synonymous with calling any bicycle "cheap". Not every Huffy was terrible but they probably contributed to many Americans not liking to cycle because they were never properly set up or adjusted by the minimum wage workers at the discount store where they were sold. Someone might like to try bicycling so of course looks for the least expensive ones to buy. The customer would't know that their position was all wrong, just that pedaling them wasn't much fun because they were uncomfortable. They would then take up space in a garage or basement until given or thrown away.
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 04-07-21, 07:57 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5887 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 2,079 Posts
Love the tubing sticker: guaranteed built with duralite high strength steel. Yeah it not light and it's not durable but it is a Huffy.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 04-07-21, 08:04 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 973 Times in 508 Posts
I grew up in Ohio, and it seemed that every kid had a Huffy at some point. Maybe it's because Ohio is where Huffy bikes were made until 1998. Generally, they made one frame size in both men's and women's styles. They made various models by painting them different colors and giving them catchy names. The lowest models would have steel, 26x1 3/8 inch wheels and steel components. A top model would have 27 inch wheels and alloy components. I had a Techtra model that was nearly identical to your bike, except for the color. I'm guessing the America name was used for export models to emphasize that it was made in USA.

late 1980's Huffy Tectra
Likes For Pompiere:
Old 04-08-21, 08:38 PM
Hummer

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh GP, 1985 Norco Bush Pilot, . . .

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 136 Posts
Coast to Coast was an American hardware store chain. The bicycles they sold were sometimes called Coast King.

The 80548 from the bottom bracket can be used to determine the date of frame manufacture.
"054" is the day of the year and the remaining "8" and "8" are for the year 1988.

Huffy stopped manufacturing in the USA in 1998.
Likes For Hummer: