Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wahoo Speedplay heads up

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Wahoo Speedplay heads up

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-21, 01:04 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
Wahoo Speedplay heads up

I've been riding Speedplay Zeros for over 15 yrs. At least. I needed a new set of cleats. The Wahoo Speedplay cleats came today. I have a pretty good idea of how they mount at this point. So I mounted the left base plate and screwed in the cleats. Easy. Pulled out the cleat for the right shoe. There were shims installed. Huh? I don't use shims and they weren't installed on the left shoe. OK just remove the shims. Installed the base plate. On to the cleat. WTF is going on? The 4 mounting screws won't thread in. Did I somehow cross-thread them? All four of them? This would be embarrassing since I have a teaching cert. in Industrial Technology...aka: shop. So now I'm going through everything. Base plate back off...try to thread them off the shoe. No luck. Then I see the problem. Wahoo has changed the design. Instead of a metal, threaded insert in the plate Wahoo has used 4 hex head nuts. Apparently, the nuts either fell out or were not in there in the first place so there was nothing to thread the screws into. In any event, I rummaged through all the little parts,which were now spread across the work table, found the nuts, seated them in the plate and finished the job. So, if you get the Wahoo replacement cleats be aware of this change.
Old 04-06-21, 01:19 PM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
I'm still in mourning that Wahoo didn't bring back the Speedplay Frogs.
Likes For DomaneS5:
Old 04-06-21, 02:04 PM
Vince Canepa

Bikes: 1978 Jack Taylor "Tour of Britain", 2010 Cannondale CAAD9-4, 2013, Cannondale Supersix Evo Red Racing, 1969 Jack Taylor Ladies "Tourist" (wife's), 2010 Specialized Dolce Sport (wife's)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I keep reading issues with the new Wahoo supplied Speedplays. Does anybody know if they still make them in San Diego or did they move production overseas?
Old 04-07-21, 10:00 AM
cuevélo

Bikes: '20 Scott Addict RC 30, '13 Trek Soho Deluxe, '91 Greg Lemond Maillot Jaune, Mid '70s Cuevas

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Vince Canepa
I keep reading issues with the new Wahoo supplied Speedplays. Does anybody know if they still make them in San Diego or did they move production overseas?
Moved to Vietnam.
Old 04-08-21, 05:22 AM
Vince Canepa

Bikes: 1978 Jack Taylor "Tour of Britain", 2010 Cannondale CAAD9-4, 2013, Cannondale Supersix Evo Red Racing, 1969 Jack Taylor Ladies "Tourist" (wife's), 2010 Specialized Dolce Sport (wife's)

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
It seems Wahoo is not exercising very good QC.
Old 04-08-21, 05:33 AM
bruce19

I wonder if anyone still has NOS of Speedplay for sale somewhere.
Old 04-08-21, 05:51 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
Sure, Excel has them.
However, did Wahoo not put instructions in their packaging, and/or you just assumed assembly was going to be identical to the previous product?
Old 04-08-21, 06:39 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
I'm not going to take my cleats off to confirm, but I'm 98% certain that my year-and-a-half old cleats are of the same design. I'm about 70% certain that the 2-3 year old cleats on my old shoes are also of the same design (I'm away from home currently and can't confirm). Regardless, I don't have an issue with countersunk nuts as fasteners given the application.

IOW, I don't think that the changes can be attributed to Wahoo and, even so, I don't know that wagging a finger at Wahoo and/or Speedplay is warranted; I think that the current cleats are *much* better than those of 5 or 6 years ago.
Old 04-08-21, 10:24 AM
bruce19

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Sure, Excel has them.
However, did Wahoo not put instructions in their packaging, and/or you just assumed assembly was going to be identical to the previous product?
Thanks, I'll check out Excel. It came with a 4-pg fold out in 8 languages that basically said something like "Warning do not attempt to eat cleats" or some sort of stupid thing. It also came with installation instructions that were pics rather than diagrams. I liked that. But, nowhere did it mention that the screws were to be screwed into hex head nuts rather than the original threaded inserts. Which I understand except for the fact on one shoe the nuts actually came out without my noticing it and I was attempting to screw into nothing. It wasn't until I examined everything closely that I realized that they weren't the same. And yes, originally I did assume they were the same as the old cleats. I guess I got a false sense of security when I did the first shoe and it all worked perfectly.
Old 04-08-21, 03:24 PM
InvertedMP 

Bikes: 2021 Scott Addict RC 20

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
R&A Cycles in Walnut Creek has legacy Zeros in stock.

I have Wahoo Speedplay Zeros and have been super happy with them. Its is sounding a bit like user error in the OPs case.
Old 04-08-21, 04:26 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
If any new owners of zeros could determine whether spindles are user replaceable, that would be great!
Old 04-09-21, 05:00 AM
bruce19

Originally Posted by InvertedMP
R&A Cycles in Walnut Creek has legacy Zeros in stock.

I have Wahoo Speedplay Zeros and have been super happy with them. Its is sounding a bit like user error in the OPs case.
Just to clarify.....I am not unhappy with the cleats. That was not the situation or what I was wanting to give a heads-up on to others.
Old 04-09-21, 08:23 AM
Vince Canepa

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I have a new pair of cleats I bought several years ago (the date stamp appears to be August of 2014). The have have the hex inserts. They are held in by the shims. However, the OP's heads up still applies - make sure the nuts are in place during installation.

Likes For Vince Canepa:
Old 04-09-21, 08:32 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
The nuts are not new. I have very old 3 hole adapters with nuts.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 04-09-21, 10:46 AM
bruce19

Originally Posted by Vince Canepa
I have a new pair of cleats I bought several years ago (the date stamp appears to be August of 2014). The have have the hex inserts. They are held in by the shims. However, the OP's heads up still applies - make sure the nuts are in place during installation.

That was the reason for my post. Thanks. And, thanks for the pics. The cleats I removed were, as you suggest, older. I have no issues with the new cleats. I just wanted to give a heads-up to people like me. It would have saved me some time.