Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Wheelset upgrade recommendations?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 04-08-21, 01:43 PM
CalEl

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Currently riding a Cannondale Synapse 105 AL. Love it but also looking for some ways to save weight and upgrade. Thinking about finding a more lightweight wheelset. It seems like wheels are the go to upgrade.

Looking at the Hunt Aero Light Disc Wheelset. They seem lightweight and aero without breaking the bank.

Aero qualities are a plus but I’m more looking to save weight. I’m not sure about the weight of the stock wheels. They’re the stock Cannondale/Maddux RD 2.0 Disc, double wall w/ eyelet, 28h rims but I can’t find much about them online.

Anyone have any advice or recommendations? Trying not to bank the bank either.

Thanks!
Old 04-08-21, 01:55 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Liked 1,691 Times in 972 Posts
Start by determining how much your current wheels weigh
"breaking the bank" doesn't mean anything unless we know how many dollars in your account
Old 04-08-21, 02:04 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
hot take coming: wheels may not be that great of an upgrade, maybe a minute an hour by some measures, including this video

Jeff (the producer of this video) finds wheels to be a worthy upgrade, and I suppose they would in a race scenario where one is in breakaway. However, if I were to tell my wife I wanted new wheels to save maybe 5mins during a 100mile ride, I'd likely be laughed out of the room.
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 04-08-21, 03:04 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
I have the Hunts. They've been faultless for me. Lighter than OEM wheels, good hub engagement, very head-turning freewheel buzz that is polarizing but in my experience has only received compliments, and a cinch to set up tubeless with GP 5Ks with a floor pump (full disclosure, I used a tire bead jack, but I do that when mounting most new tires anyway because my hands are weak).

I wouldn't say that they're all that aero as they aren't very deep and the rim width is relatively narrow by today's standards. But getting significantly better performance would likely mean 2x+ the cost (from Light Bicycle deep carbon rims to the more premium name-brands). If you are serious about chasing speed, then there's an argument to be made that you'd be better off saving more money for a higher-end wheelset or even spending it elsewhere on training tools, tires, clothing, etc. But if you'd be happy with a noticeably lighter wheelset without any glaring issues, then those Hunts are a good option.
Old 04-08-21, 03:22 PM
CalEl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I don’t mind the hunts not being particularly aero. I more concerned with saving weight. That’s why I’m wondering if there’s a beer wheelset option besides the hunts in the same price range. I’ll have to figure out the weight of the stock wheels i have.

Last edited by CalEl; 04-08-21 at 03:27 PM.
Old 04-08-21, 03:39 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
I’m also curious what the stock Cannondale/Maddux RD 2.0 disc wheelset is, and if it is tubeless ready.

I looked up the Hunt Aero Light Disc wheelset....it appears they weigh 1488 grams for the set and retail for $609, not bad....though as stated, I am unfamiliar with the exact Cannondale disc wheel specifications so... mainly I am curious what others offer up as for comparisons/value.

What tires do you plan to run?
Old 04-08-21, 03:48 PM
CalEl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The stocks wheels are not tubeless ready. I think they weigh around 2,000g but I don’t have a good way of weighing them. I plan on running pirelli pzero velos.
Old 04-08-21, 03:53 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
This was some years ago, but the only comparable I could find at the time were custom wheel builds using something like the Boyd Altamont or Kinlin X31 rims, but getting a light hub with more engagement points, bladed spokes, and brass nipples drove up the price. Especially since the GBP to USD conversion rate was more favorable, the Hunts won out for me.
Old 04-09-21, 07:43 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4728 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
Originally Posted by CalEl
Currently riding a Cannondale Synapse 105 AL. Love it but also looking for some ways to save weight and upgrade. Thinking about finding a more lightweight wheelset. It seems like wheels are the go to upgrade.

Looking at the Hunt Aero Light Disc Wheelset. They seem lightweight and aero without breaking the bank.

Aero qualities are a plus but I’m more looking to save weight. I’m not sure about the weight of the stock wheels. They’re the stock Cannondale/Maddux RD 2.0 Disc, double wall w/ eyelet, 28h rims but I can’t find much about them online.

Thanks!
Hunt also has the 34mm deep Aero Wide Disc wheelset. Adds 60 grams but probably worth it. Also $70 more.

Someone mentioned Kinlin XR31s. This is doable I think here at comparable pricing to Hunts: https://www.prowheelbuilder.com/pwb-...t-package.html
Old 04-09-21, 08:10 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
Are you interested in tubeless? They are generally lighter than stock wheels and cheaper than carbon ones. Unless you start looking at tubeless carbon.
Old 04-09-21, 08:19 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6926 Post(s)
Liked 10,926 Times in 4,667 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist
hot take coming: wheels may not be that great of an upgrade, maybe a minute an hour by some measures, including this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v39Hojhy2lk

Jeff (the producer of this video) finds wheels to be a worthy upgrade, and I suppose they would in a race scenario where one is in breakaway. However, if I were to tell my wife I wanted new wheels to save maybe 5mins during a 100mile ride, I'd likely be laughed out of the room.
This.

If I'm not racing a bike, I'm happy with alloy rims, good hubs, and 32h/3x lacing. I've run such wheels for 30k+ miles with nothing more than a couple minor tweaks with a spoke wrench.

Inexpensive and lightweight wheels might save you five minutes on a century ride, but they'll cost you hours when they break fifty miles from your home.
Old 04-09-21, 09:03 AM
sw20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by CalEl

Thanks!
https://www.cycledivision.co.uk/whee...ncher-wheelset