Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Strava power estimates

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Strava power estimates

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-21, 07:07 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by tedder987
I wonder if there could be a business case for renting out power meters to non-racers like me who want to take a look but not invest. Swapping a crankset in would be pretty easy in many cases, pedal-based meters would be even easier.
You'd think there'd be a business case for a rental outfit to offer these -- probably would have to be pedal based.
OT, but back in my more involved digi photography days, I used to wish someone would rent color calibration hardware for monitors and printers. Never found one. These sell for about $1500.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 04-09-21, 05:41 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
A left sided PM crank would be relatively inexpensive and super easy to install, assuming there is one compatible with your crankset. You can of course have leg power imbalances, but for the purpose of estimating energy consumption that won't be enough to matter.
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Old 04-11-21, 07:51 AM
Wilmingtech

Bikes: 2013 Ridley Helium, 2017 Blue Pro-Secco EX, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 73 Posts
Is there anyone with a power meter that has calibrated it against the strava average power estimates from the app? Just curious how (in)accurate they are.
My power output in Strava used to make me look like a rockstar with compliments from fellow followers complimenting my power output. Then I got a power meter and reality quickly set in and I quickly realized how weak I truly was.

I think a power meter would be fun, but based on my use of the heart rate monitor (and even my cadence sensor) it just isn't worth the money. Plus I need to get new wheels first anyways as my old ones are getting noodly.

I wonder if there could be a business case for renting out power meters to non-racers like me who want to take a look but not invest. Swapping a crankset in would be pretty easy in many cases, pedal-based meters would be even easier.
Power meters are not cheap for sure but it will change the way you ride/train. I rode for 3 years without one looking at heartrate and speed while trying to keep my cadence consistent. But once I got the power meter (Favero Assioma Pedals best way to go for bike swaps) and could "ride to power" it made for a more consistent workout and I was able to increase my power output within a shorter amount of time. I also suck at hill climbing (180 lbs here) and it helped me to keep a faster cadence "riding to power" not blowing up and that has improved my climbs over the past year.