Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Trek Emonda vs Madone

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Trek Emonda vs Madone

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-20, 09:08 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by GAtkins
https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...en-marble.html

I was going by this thread on the SLRs. I may be incorrect, read it wrong, or it may be different in NZ. I'd like to know the difference for sure if someone can clear that up for me. Thanks.

Glenn

Check out Trek's website. Says it there halfway down the page for each bike.
Old 09-28-20, 10:02 AM
GAtkins

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR7 Project One 62cm- 2010 Specialized Allez 61cm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Check out Trek's website. Says it there halfway down the page for each bike.
What exactly does it say? Link to a specific one?

I'm having trouble finding it on this bike, for example, unless I go into Project One.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...ode=grey_black

Thanks.

Glenn
Old 09-28-20, 10:11 AM
drewtk

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 31 Posts
Aero trumps weight unless you do a lot of extended, sharp inclined climbing, so I think the Madone is the faster bike for most situations, including for the type of riding you describe.

However, I've test ridden a Madone and currently have two race bikes, and you need to confirm that you would be comfortable with its aggressive fit, as you mentioned that you're in your 70's. How does the geometry of the Madone compare to what you ride now?

When I first moved to a race bike, it took some getting used to the more aggressive position, and I'm in my 40's with a long background in riding TT bikes. I'm used to riding leaned over and stretched out.

What about a bike that's still aero but not as aggressive with the rider position? There are so many good bikes on the market now.
Old 09-28-20, 10:17 AM
SkepticalOne

Bikes: 2021 Trek Emonda SL7, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR4, 2020 Trek P1 Domane SLR7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 43 Posts

I'm having trouble finding it on this bike, for example, unless I go into Project One.

Thanks.

Glenn

I think the reference is to the ProEndurance fit available as a Project One option for the Domane...a longer top tube and shorter head tube more akin to the fit of the Madone...apologies in advance if this isn't the point being made:

Likes For SkepticalOne:
Old 09-28-20, 10:22 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by drewtk
Aero trumps weight unless you do a lot of extended, sharp inclined climbing, so I think the Madone is the faster bike for most situations, including for the type of riding you describe.
The Trek team used the Emonda on all climbing stages at the TdF.

I read a few reviews that the new Emonda with some aero is a better all around bike than the Madone... if you can only have one.

But i'll keep my 2015 Emonda SLR since the new model is heavier and would have a problem getting to the 6.48kg that mine is with not the lightest wheels and other stuff.
Old 09-28-20, 10:44 AM
GAtkins

Originally Posted by SkepticalOne
I think the reference is to the ProEndurance fit available as a Project One option for the Domane...a longer top tube and shorter head tube more akin to the fit of the Madone...apologies in advance if this isn't the point being made:

Definitely agree on the more aggressive fit available in Project One. My confusion surrounds if the H1.5 or the H2.0 is the more aggressive frame.

For example, you can compare an Emonda 1.0 frame and a 2.0 frame in these two links.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...meset/p/24062/

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...meset/p/24063/

Clearly the H2 is more relaxed than the H1. That leads me to believe that the H1.5 in the Domane is more aggressive and only available in Project One, thus the stock geometry, and less agressive, would be the H2.

This article also leads me to believe the same.

"Though an all-new frame in most ways, mainline Domane models carry forward the same endurance geometry. Through Trek’s Project One customization program, you can order a lower stack, and longer reach geometry Trek calls H1.5."

https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear...ne-slr-review/

Perhaps I remained confused.

Thanks.

Glenn
Old 09-28-20, 10:57 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
I give you old guys all the credit you deserve, and nothing more.

It's surprising that a 70 year old has the flexibility for either of those bikes. I live in a retirement community, and work at a bike shop nearby. It's very rare to sell(or seer ridden) a road bike with an aggressive fit.
People in retirement communities might be a bad study for any generalizations toward riding position. Many very active retired people don't go to retirement communities.

And I can't say that I've seen any more old people sitting up while riding than I do young people. I'd even say that around here, the older people still riding long rides have a better aero position than the younger riders.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 09-28-20, 01:49 PM
ilovebiking

Bikes: Currently 2013 Kestrel 4000

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks for the input

To all that replied to my original question--thank you for taking the time to add your comments and advice. All, or most, were really helpful.

I think with my current riding skill ("A" rider days are behind me), it seems unlikely that I will notice much of a difference between the two bikes, here where I ride flat to rolling. My current bike is a 2013 Domane, with Roval CLX50 wheels, and it has been wonderful. I know I don't actually NEED a new bike, but at 72, I'm just going to do it. It will just come out of my kids' inheritance anyway.

BTW, the Domane is an H2 fit, the Madone and Emonda are H1.5. I went on four rides, two each, and did not notice a huge body position difference. I have a Kestrel TT bike, and that is fast but uncomfortable.

A couple of things still bother me. The integrated stem/bar on the Emonda seems to eliminate much of a fitting change. You can't just put in a new stem or head tube. I think you can do this on the Madone, but it might require a Project build. Getting good answers from a bike shop in a seller's market like this has been difficult.

For all the older riders out there, you should consider the Senior Games. I have gone to the National event the last three times, and each time I accomplished my two goals:
1. Not
2. Last

Thanks again. See you on the road.
Likes For ilovebiking:
Old 09-28-20, 03:02 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
People in retirement communities might be a bad study for any generalizations toward riding position. Many very active retired people don't go to retirement communities.
I suspect you've never been to Sun City Grand. It's a 45+ community, not a a city of rest homes.
Old 09-28-20, 03:27 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
The Trek team used the Emonda on all climbing stages at the TdF.

I read a few reviews that the new Emonda with some aero is a better all around bike than the Madone... if you can only have one.

But i'll keep my 2015 Emonda SLR since the new model is heavier and would have a problem getting to the 6.48kg that mine is with not the lightest wheels and other stuff.
Trek designed the bike for grand tours. You will see the Madone used more in the one day classics with climbs. Mads used a Madone when he won the World Championship. Richie Port might have used one on Walunga Hill.
Old 09-28-20, 03:52 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts

Thanks.

Glenn
Emondas and Madones.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...grey_greylight
Old 09-28-20, 04:40 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 311 Posts
Originally Posted by drewtk

What about a bike that's still aero but not as aggressive with the rider position? There are so many good bikes on the market now.
The aggressive position IS the aero.........................................................
Old 09-28-20, 04:44 PM
drewtk

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Erzulis Boat
The aggressive position IS the aero.........................................................
Yes, I get that. I’m just saying that there are endurance oriented bikes that are very aero. I question whether the OP can hold an aggressive bike position. Not saying he can’t, but he should confirm.
Likes For drewtk:
Old 09-28-20, 08:25 PM
GAtkins

Originally Posted by rubiksoval
So, I think we agree then. The H1.5 geometry is more aggressive. The standard geometry on the Domane is the H2.0. And, the Domane H1.5 geometry is only available in Project One.

Thanks for providing that link. I haven't paid much attention to the Emondas and Madones because I'm trying to get away for a more aggressive geometry (Specialized Allez) and into something more relaxed like the Domane H2.0. That's why I was very careful not to get the Domane with the H1.5 geometry available in Project One.

Thanks again.

Glenn
Old 09-29-20, 08:32 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 186 Posts
Both the Emonda and Madone are great bikes, but unless your intended use is "Everesting", I'd go with the Madone. It has the ISO decoupler for comfort and is still very respectably light and aero.

I have a Domane and love the ISO decouplers Coming back from a long ride and not feeling beat-up by my bike has helped me ride faster for longer.
Old 09-29-20, 11:56 AM
SkepticalOne

Bikes: 2021 Trek Emonda SL7, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR4, 2020 Trek P1 Domane SLR7

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield
Both the Emonda and Madone are great bikes, but unless your intended use is "Everesting", I'd go with the Madone. It has the ISO decoupler for comfort and is still very respectably light and aero.

I have a Domane and love the ISO decouplers Coming back from a long ride and not feeling beat-up by my bike has helped me ride faster for longer.
I have used my Domane for two Everestings. Totally up to the task.
Old 09-29-20, 04:49 PM
wthensler 

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR 7, 2012 Giant Defy 0, 2012 Trek Domane 6.2 P1, Bianchi Infinito CV disc Di2

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 250 Posts
So, I think we agree then. The H1.5 geometry is more aggressive. The standard geometry on the Domane is the H2.0. And, the Domane H1.5 geometry is only available in Project One.

Thanks for providing that link. I haven't paid much attention to the Emondas and Madones because I'm trying to get away for a more aggressive geometry (Specialized Allez) and into something more relaxed like the Domane H2.0. That's why I was very careful not to get the Domane with the H1.5 geometry available in Project One.

Thanks again.

Glenn
Glenn,

You are correct about the Domane. The H2.0 is the 'standard' Domane frame and the H1.5 only pops up if doing a P1 configuration.

Other than the Specialized Roubaix, you won't find anything close to the stack/reach ratio offered by the Domane. These two bikes are at the end of the 'endurance road bike' spectrum. The Giant Defy Advanced is a tad more aggressive, then there are a slew of others which follow further down the endurance line (including my Bianchi Infinito).

I initially took delivery of the Domane in VA in the BlueRidge Mtns. and had about three weeks of intense mountain riding - steep climbs, holy rollers, and wicked descents - along with some rather bumpy tarmac. As an experiment, I alternated bikes daily - sometimes several times per day.

I consider myself an experienced rider, and the Domane impressed me during climbs, is more stable than the Giant or the Bianchi, and is smoother (a combo of the 32s and the front and rear IsoSpeeds and the low BB and longer wheelbase).

If I had to select one bike overall, there is really no contest.

Incidentally, I run the same groupset on all bikes (Ultegra Di2). I can't seem to free myself of the electric click-click precision of Shimano......
Old 09-29-20, 06:16 PM
Dean V

Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by wthensler
Glenn,

You are correct about the Domane. The H2.0 is the 'standard' Domane frame and the H1.5 only pops up if doing a P1 configuration.

Other than the Specialized Roubaix, you won't find anything close to the stack/reach ratio offered by the Domane. These two bikes are at the end of the 'endurance road bike' spectrum. The Giant Defy Advanced is a tad more aggressive, then there are a slew of others which follow further down the endurance line (including my Bianchi Infinito).

I initially took delivery of the Domane in VA in the BlueRidge Mtns. and had about three weeks of intense mountain riding - steep climbs, holy rollers, and wicked descents - along with some rather bumpy tarmac. As an experiment, I alternated bikes daily - sometimes several times per day.

I consider myself an experienced rider, and the Domane impressed me during climbs, is more stable than the Giant or the Bianchi, and is smoother (a combo of the 32s and the front and rear IsoSpeeds and the low BB and longer wheelbase).

If I had to select one bike overall, there is really no contest.

Incidentally, I run the same groupset on all bikes (Ultegra Di2). I can't seem to free myself of the electric click-click precision of Shimano......
Good analysis.
I have had a Domane and Defy. The geometry is near enough the same as far as fit goes (56cm and M/L) for me.
I prefer the Defy for for its bit more liveliness and the ride is still plenty comfortable enough for me.
Don't think there is a better or worse here. It just comes down to preferences and priorities.
Same goes for the Emonda/Madone thing.
I actually have an Emonda ALR (105)which I ride a lot more than the Madone 9.5 (DA di2) that I used to have.
Likes For Dean V:
Old 09-29-20, 06:24 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V
Good analysis.
I have had a Domane and Defy. The geometry is near enough the same as far as fit goes (56cm and M/L) for me.
I prefer the Defy for for its bit more liveliness and the ride is still plenty comfortable enough for me.
Don't think there is a better or worse here. It just comes down to preferences and priorities.
Same goes for the Emonda/Madone thing.
I actually have an Emonda ALR (105)which I ride a lot more than the Madone 9.5 (DA di2) that I used to have.
Sure. It's hard to ride a bike you no longer have
Old 09-29-20, 10:46 PM
Dean V

Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Sure. It's hard to ride a bike you no longer have
Yep. Sold it because it wasn't getting used. Had other bikes I preferred to ride.
Old 09-30-20, 09:23 AM
ilovebiking

Bikes: Currently 2013 Kestrel 4000

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks again

I am the OP on this string. Once again, I would like to thank all who took the time to offer their experiences. Taking everything into consideration, I will probably go with the Madone SL6. Maybe do a wheel upgrade in a year or so.

Now I just need to find $7K.
Likes For ilovebiking:
Old 09-30-20, 07:57 PM
tobey

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
This has been a very informative thread. I am in a similiar situation and looking at the same two Trek bikes plus a couple of others but have yet to test ride them. Will be 70 next year and love to climb especially really steep hills.
Looking forward to trying them both out and will take into consideration some of the points everyone has made. The bike I ride the most now is a Cannondale Synapse Ultegra with Cosmic Pro wheels. Time for a change while I'm still healthy. My wife thinks I'm nuts but my kids are well off so really don't need much of an inheritance
Old 04-13-21, 07:00 PM
rjmaki

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Op

I’m not quite an OP. Only 61!! Thanks for this thread. These are the two bikes I’ve been looking at also. Leaning towards the Madone as I like to go fast.... typical ride is 30 miles with 500-800 ft of climbing.
Old 04-13-21, 07:06 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,599 Times in 3,785 Posts
OP means Original Poster.

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 06-22-21, 04:26 PM
RichLiv

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Madone SL7

Originally Posted by green123
I don't have either bike and I rode the previous model Emonda and loved it. However I read that the Emonda is the stiffest ride of the 2 and doesn't have the Isospeed.
if it helps anyone, I went through this selection process and came out with a Madone SL7 for exactly this reason: isospeed. I had it on my 2013 Domane and it just works. For me, a 57 year old reasonably fast club rider for my age, I'm now doing 100 mile/3k ft climbing rides at 17-18mph in some comfort. It was the right choice for me. It is just fine in the North Somerset hills in the UK though if I lived in the Pyrenees the Emonda's weight would've swung it. Took it on a cyclosportive in Dorset 2 weeks ago -8.5k ft of climbs, 100 miles, no problems. Really fast on flat and downhill, certainly adequate on the climbs too. I'm 75kg so not a stick insect and I have found it brings a smile to my face at times - that's got to be worth something in these times.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.