Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

What makes a touring bike frame a touring bike frame?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

What makes a touring bike frame a touring bike frame?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-18, 01:02 AM
bikebasket

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Been in a couple of bike shops down here on the coast and one thing they do have is piles of bike frames out the back. Saw about 4 of these crappy Asama, Monsoon tandem frames, but they look like low riding stuff you'd ride up and down the beach road. But had loads of MTB frames aswell. Reckon i should be able to find 2 that fit each of us.
Surprised to see how many quality full MTB's they had in one shop. Schwinn, Cannondale, Giant. If only i was single i thought..

Seriously thinking of going the tandem frankenstein way. It will be Macgyver style fun cutting up the frames and building it. I can braze, but there must be some great khmer braze or Tig welders here. The sort of job you get better at with experience. And i figure easy enough to buy tubing and parts.
Might be abit wary of them jigging it up/aligning it right though. Tough to give a sheet about some white dude going off touring on his bike when your earning a few bucks a day.

Any tandem frame design plans/angles tips to be had?

Cheers

Last edited by bikebasket; 03-08-18 at 01:06 AM.
Old 03-08-18, 03:00 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18354 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by boomhauer
Why don’t you try a hybrid?
People seem to have some issue with them but I found them to be very comfortable.
I'm a drop bar fan myself, but I recently built up a Jamis Coda, and so far am very pleased with it.

My old road bike wiggled and jiggled and had a LOT OF FLEX. I'm not quite sure where all the flex was coming from. I think some from the dropouts. Perhaps flexy wheels... and everywhere else. I could ride it standing loaded, but it took some getting used to.

I haven't had a lot of weight on it, but so far my Jamis feels rock solid. It will need some fine tuning here and there, but I'm pretty pleased with the build. I've traditionally rear-loaded, but the Jamis Coda fork should also support front load panniers.

This is a solid fork, butted 520 steel frame.

Coda_Salem.jpg
Old 03-08-18, 09:39 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by bikebasket
.....Seriously thinking of going the tandem frankenstein way. It will be Macgyver style fun cutting up the frames and building it.......Cheers
great idear!
the craftsmanship in cambodia is top notch.
go for it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Picture 717.jpg (279.8 KB, 194 views)
Old 03-08-18, 11:11 AM
bikebasket

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by saddlesores
great idear!
the craftsmanship in cambodia is top notch.
go for it.

My bathroom light is actually fitted upside down.
You gotta admit those tube repair piston vulcanizers are well cool though.
Old 03-10-18, 03:40 PM
BBassett

Bikes: Tout Terrain, Panamericana

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by bikebasket
I suggested to my girlfriend that we do some bike touring here in SE Asia. ...
What constitutes as a touring bike frame?

Basically, what should i be looking for as far as measurements go? Much different to an MTB?

Thanks
Depends on what kind of "Touring" you are going to do. But yes, it's different, it needs to be able to carry way more weight than you have ever considered before and not have a frame with bolt on rack flexing all over. Have a more upright seating position and be graceful enough to climb a hill, under full weight, and do it real slow. A slow-motion fat ballerina.

I chose an Expedition Touring frame (with full suspension). For all the usual reasons and some specific ones. I also wanted to be able to tour and not sacrifice maximum comfort. on or off the bike. That means more and more weight. Pulling a trailer in addition to 4 panniers and an over-full bar-bag lets me have things such as a pressurized shower, solar oven, three different sleep systems, a kitchen/bathroom sink, a large blue tooth speaker that plays for over 20 hours. I had done my homework and had chosen a 750w center-drive that works with my Rohloff Speed-hub perfectly. I chose full suspension because of the number of hours in the Brooks Flyer saddle. Full suspension is unusual for the standard touring bikes. People will also take an MTB frame and Frankenstein them into what they call a touring bike, but what they really own is a MTB with one or two racks and a bunch of water bottles. When you look at my bike what you are looking at is a Unicorn, I doubt there is another like her anywhere. Everything has been chosen so as to allow extended periods of time away from civilization. This bike may well one day circle the planet. I won't be the one riding her if she does, but she may very well. Steel frame, 26" X 2" wheels, center stand, huge hydraulic brakes (little tiny bit Too big in the back.), FAIV front rack (if you haven't ever seen these... do some research.) that keeps the front panniers suspended, a unicorn on a unicorn. Schmidt Dynamo Hub, Rohloff Speed Hub, and a SONdelux front light all in deep red. There's no reason she can't be strong And pretty. I had read that 26" wheels were best because of their easy in finding replacements anywhere in the world. I am sure that was true decades ago, maybe it still is. I personally chose 26" because with full panniers I am much faster responding on single track than with 27.5s or 29ers. Remember, slow-motion fat ballerina.
Attached Images
modified-rack2.jpg (1.63 MB, 156 views)
Summer gear.jpg (966.4 KB, 156 views)

Last edited by BBassett; 03-10-18 at 04:42 PM.
Old 03-11-18, 08:32 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 987 Times in 519 Posts
I live here in Cambodia, good luck finding a good touring bike here. While Cannondale, Specialized and Scott along with Giant all have shops here, most of the bikes are either Mt bikes or fancy road bike. There are a few hybrids that could be modded or added to that would work. St 107 is a bunch of hacks who would put something together for you but look out for cheating.
Old 03-11-18, 09:45 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Room for your favorite tires and attachments for fenders and panniers. Nothing else, really. You don't even need pannier attachments if you use bikepacking gear.
Old 03-11-18, 10:47 PM
saddlesores

Originally Posted by bwilli88
I live here in Cambodia,.....St 107 is a bunch of hacks who would put something together for you but look out for cheating.
so tempting....we could have a "st 107 challenge" for anyone
in this part of the world. see who can hack together the
best touring setup for under $200 out of recycled parts.

could jump on an overnight bus, and be there in about 8 hours....
Old 03-11-18, 11:50 PM
BBassett

Originally Posted by bwilli88
I live here in Cambodia, good luck finding a good touring bike here. While Cannondale, Specialized and Scott along with Giant all have shops here, most of the bikes are either Mt bikes or fancy road bike. There are a few hybrids that could be modded or added to that would work. St 107 is a bunch of hacks who would put something together for you but look out for cheating.
I bought my entire bike online. At least 7 countries, 18 or 20 different vendors and this is just the bike. You can get what you want anywhere today if you are willing to take the time and spend the money.
Old 03-11-18, 11:55 PM
BBassett

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Room for your favorite tires and attachments for fenders and panniers. Nothing else, really. You don't even need pannier attachments if you use bikepacking gear.
So speaketh the man that hath not ridden 50 miles on washboard roads. LOL I have also seen many that didn't think they needed fenders to tour. Even more LOL!
Old 03-12-18, 07:58 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by BBassett
So speaketh the man that hath not ridden 50 miles on washboard roads. LOL I have also seen many that didn't think they needed fenders to tour. Even more LOL!
Why would I do that? I really advise against it. Cobblestones, though I suppose they don't count. If I were going to ride only cobblestones, I'd want bigger tires than 28mm, but for just a few km. here and there, the 28s were probably optimal.

If one is really going to tour specifically on washboard or ride the Continental Divide trail, an MTB would be a good choice.
Old 03-12-18, 08:22 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
Someone who is out on the edges of stuff carrying should be careful about throwing rocks. Glass houses and all that.

As for fenders, use them if you like. Some of us see little utility to them. I don't "need" fenders most of the time and for those few occasions where they might be marginally handy, they aren't worth carrying around. If I have to ride in the rain, I'm going to get wet from water coming from above. A little bit more water coming from below isn't going to make that much difference.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-12-18, 10:05 AM
BBassett

Why would I do that? I really advise against it. Cobblestones, though I suppose they don't count. If I were going to ride only cobblestones, I'd want bigger tires than 28mm, but for just a few km. here and there, the 28s were probably optimal.

If one is really going to tour specifically on washboard or ride the Continental Divide trail, an MTB would be a good choice.
I disagree. I personally don't think an MTB should ever be forced into service carrying gear that it was never designed to. Lots of MTBs can't even wear a good pair of fenders let alone a real rack. Just so you know, you don't pick wash-board roads to ride on, they pick you to see what both you, And your bike, are made of.
Old 03-12-18, 10:30 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Older MTB from the era before suspension forks do work well, but not those with dual suspension

but with that unique expensive German bike , you can seek out washboard dirt roads..

the pro spring classics love sending the race over cobbled roads ... Ghent - Wevelgem loves the Kimmelburg a steep cobbled hill so much,
that after putting over 100+km in the riders legs out to the coast & back, they loop over that hill twice..

Old 03-12-18, 10:33 AM
BBassett

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Someone who is out on the edges of stuff carrying should be careful about throwing rocks. Glass houses and all that.

As for fenders, use them if you like. Some of us see little utility to them. I don't "need" fenders most of the time and for those few occasions where they might be marginally handy, they aren't worth carrying around. If I have to ride in the rain, I'm going to get wet from water coming from above. A little bit more water coming from below isn't going to make that much difference.
"Someone who is out on the edges of stuff carrying should be careful about throwing rocks. Glass houses and all that." - I don't have the slightest idea what you are "trying" to say here. I have used the reference of Glass Houses and throwing rocks, but "Someone one the edge carrying things, not throwing rocks?" It must be a second language thing. As far as not using fenders goes, that just shows me that you haven't ever ridden for weeks or months at a time, actually living on a bike. Fenders aren't just about staying dry, fenders help keep you clean and dryer. People that tour and don't plan on a shower happening at the end of the day understand what fenders are for. But your aversion to carrying the weight of fenders explains more than anything else. (As for hotels, use them if you like. Some of us see little utility to them.) Lots of people race from hotel to hotel and do a cute little high 5 for being a tough guy. I'd rather ride slower to somewhere beautiful and deserted take a shower, if possible, then enjoy the evening and get ready for the next morning. I might have felt like you do at one time.... ahhhhhhhhh, nope, never.
Old 03-12-18, 10:43 AM
saddlesores

Originally Posted by cyccommute
...As for fenders, use them if you like. Some of us see little utility to them. .... A little bit more water coming from below isn't going to make that much difference.
that ain't water....

Old 03-12-18, 10:45 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

I disagree. I personally don't think an MTB should ever be forced into service carrying gear that it was never designed to. Lots of MTBs can't even wear a good pair of fenders let alone a real rack. Just so you know, you don't pick wash-board roads to ride on, they pick you to see what both you, And your bike, are made of.
Steel and carbon!
Old 03-12-18, 10:45 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
I think if you want to ride a motorcycle, just get a motorcycle. Camped next to a nice guy in Switzerland doing just that. The previous day he had ridden 400 km over the Alps from Italy, and was camping alongside bike tourists. Modding a bike to that degree doesn’t make sense, unless you lost your license.
Old 03-12-18, 10:51 AM
BBassett

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Older MTB from the era before suspension forks do work well, but not those with dual suspension, but with that unique expensive German bike , you can seek out washboard dirt roads..

the pro spring classics love sending the race over cobbled roads ... Ghent - Wevelgem loves the Kimmelburg a steep cobbled hill so much, that after putting over 100+km in the riders legs out to the coast & back, they loop, over that hill twice..
I see more and more converted MTBs riding greater distances. There's a certain appeal of having a bedroll, rain skin, and water storage and nothing more and taking off cross country. But new or old a MTB frame usually isn't going to have great frame mounts to bolt on a high-quality rack that will last under the weight for more than a few hundred miles of gravel and single track. I am not talking about racing (doesn't interest me), or riding roads from hotel to hotel. I don't believe that was what bike touring was started for. The word Touring can be misleading to so many. Does it mean riding all day? Is there a certain distance necessary, or number of days? Is bike camping a heavy form of touring? What I will say is MTBs are designed to kick around a technical course for "a while" and then be thrown in the back of a truck and driven home. They are not designed to be ridden down the Panamerican trail.
Old 03-12-18, 10:54 AM
BBassett

Steel and carbon!
LOL, you are so confused. Happy riding, make sure you use the crosswalks!
Old 03-12-18, 11:03 AM
BBassett

Originally Posted by alan s
I think if you want to ride a motorcycle, just get a motorcycle. Camped next to a nice guy in Switzerland doing just that. The previous day he had ridden 400 km over the Alps from Italy, and was camping alongside bike tourists. Modding a bike to that degree doesn’t make sense, unless you lost your license.
Of course it doesn't make sense to you or those like you. I don't want to cover huge distances daily, you simply miss too much. And I couldn't possibly care less about racing somewhere. It is specifically so that I CAN lose the license that I have chosen my bike and modify it in ways that let me fully enjoy the day, the ride, the meal, the shower, and sleeping nice and warm and dry where ever I choose to stop. Doesn't make sense. LOL No I don't suspect it does. In fact how could it when you can't even understand how an ebike rides. You sound more like a moped kinda guy. That's cool....... ish.
Old 03-12-18, 11:06 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
earliest were 'Repack' geometry. long chain stays slack angles , adopted from cruiser bikes..

fun down hill not good climbers, then came NORBA designs, brought the wheel back under you with shorter chainstays

so climbed better and changed the seat and head tube angles steeper..

Ive been using an old first generation stump jumper for decades.. its my winter studded tire bike .. Parked in the basement now..
Old 03-12-18, 11:07 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Of course it doesn't make sense to you or those like you. I don't want to cover huge distances daily, you simply miss too much. And I couldn't possibly care less about racing somewhere. It is specifically so that I CAN lose the license that I have chosen my bike and modify it in ways that let me fully enjoy the day, the ride, the meal, the shower, and sleeping nice and warm and dry where ever I choose to stop. Doesn't make sense. LOL No I don't suspect it does. In fact how could it when you can't even understand how an ebike rides. You sound more like a moped kinda guy. That's cool....... ish.
What’s there to understand? Hit the throttle and go. Pedal if you desire, fake or real. Recharge when you run out of juice.
Old 03-12-18, 11:10 AM
BBassett

Originally Posted by alan s
What’s there to understand? Hit the throttle and go. Pedal if you desire, fake or real. Recharge when you run out of juice.
LOL! Yup, I guess you're a pro now! Got it all figured out.
Old 03-12-18, 11:13 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
"Someone who is out on the edges of stuff carrying should be careful about throwing rocks. Glass houses and all that." - I don't have the slightest idea what you are "trying" to say here. I have used the reference of Glass Houses and throwing rocks, but "Someone one the edge carrying things, not throwing rocks?" It must be a second language thing.
Born English speaker. I don't speak any other language other than science which is far more for foreign to most people than Sanskrit.

Not everyone wants to...nor needs to...carry around everything and the kitchen sink. If you want to nitpick someone else's bicycle choice, be prepared to have your nits picked.

As for "wash board roads", bikepacking gear would be a far better choice than most pannier systems. That's why bikepacking gear was invented.

As far as not using fenders goes, that just shows me that you haven't ever ridden for weeks or months at a time, actually living on a bike. Fenders aren't just about staying dry, fenders help keep you clean and dryer. People that tour and don't plan on a shower happening at the end of the day understand what fenders are for. But your aversion to carrying the weight of fenders explains more than anything else. (As for hotels, use them if you like. Some of us see little utility to them.) Lots of people race from hotel to hotel and do a cute little high 5 for being a tough guy. I'd rather ride slower to somewhere beautiful and deserted take a shower, if possible, then enjoy the evening and get ready for the next morning. I might have felt like you do at one time.... ahhhhhhhhh, nope, never.
It helps to know your audience. See my signature line. I'm no stranger to riding for weeks at a time. I'm not a racer from hotel to hotel either. I'm also not an ultra-light tourer but I'm don't need to carry everything I own when I tour.

Nor is the "weight" of the fenders the problem. It's their utility and the hassle of using them that I abhor. They don't do that good a job of keeping the rider clean nor dry and they are often, in my experience, just in the way. Toe overlap and getting fenders jammed full of mud are far worse problems in my opinion than getting a bit of road grim on me while riding.

And, just so you'll know, my last tour included 500+ miles of dirt roads and dirt tow paths. I'm also quite familiar with roads that have worse than washboards.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.