Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Chain, To Lube or Not To Lube

Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-21, 09:52 AM
Vaughan51

Bikes: Mountain Goat Escape Goat, Rocky Mountain Edge, Salsa Fargo Kona Libre

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I'm purchased an indoor trainer (Wahoo Kicker Snap) which my bike is mounted in and have a question regarding chain lubrication.

I cleaned and lubricated my chain at the start of the "indoor season" when I mounted my bike in the trainer but have done nothing since then. I was wondering if a person needed to lubricate the chain on some frequency even though its in a clean environment and if so what frequency are people doing this at?

Thanks
Old 01-27-21, 11:32 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2154 Post(s)
Liked 3,403 Times in 1,204 Posts
I lube and wipe down mine every 500 indoor miles. Even though it's a clean environment, the chain/gear interface does produce metal dust that can wear things out more quickly if left unattended.
I also lube and wipe down the chain while rotating the crankset backwards- it's just easier.
Old 01-28-21, 07:25 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
I do the old "lube when it gets noisy" approach for my indoor setup. That seems to be more like every 1000 miles or so indoors, which for me is about twice per year.

I only do a full chain cleaning once per year - the kinda "mid year" lubing I just do a wipe down of the chain before relubing. So far, that seems to have kept chain wear (measured with a Park tool) to a normal rate, actually a lower than normal rate compared to similar miles outside with more frequent lubing and chain cleaning before every lubing. Depends on what you are doing/how you ride indoors but for me, the chain wear seems much less per mile.
Old 01-28-21, 01:27 PM
Tom L

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
I guess I'm different, I lube my chain before every ride with a dry teflon spray lubricant
noticeably quieter and shifts are better for me
Old 01-29-21, 08:41 AM
Vaughan51

Bikes: Mountain Goat Escape Goat, Rocky Mountain Edge, Salsa Fargo Kona Libre

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom L
I guess I'm different, I lube my chain before every ride with a dry teflon spray lubricant
noticeably quieter and shifts are better for me
Interesting, I hadn't thought of a dry teflon spray for indoors but I like the idea. Outdoor rides I started with Lucas brand but found that to be a bit too thick and picking up dirt. Switched to Lloyd's penetrating oil (the foaming kind) and found it worked quite well but ultimately switched to Lubriplate chain oil which I really like. I did put down extra carpet for any potential oil splatter that might fly off the chain indoors. A dry teflon lubricant would solve that potential issue.

That aside I just hit 500miles so did lubricate the chain. I will have to see what I can find for dry teflon spray as I imagine I'll be lubricating again before the winter is over.

Last edited by Vaughan51; 01-29-21 at 08:44 AM.
Old 01-29-21, 11:36 AM
oris
I like speed

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix Hi Mod, Specialized Allez Sprint, Bottecchia Emme 4 SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by jpescatore
I do the old "lube when it gets noisy" approach for my indoor setup. That seems to be more like every 1000 miles or so indoors, which for me is about twice per year.

I only do a full chain cleaning once per year - the kinda "mid year" lubing I just do a wipe down of the chain before relubing. So far, that seems to have kept chain wear (measured with a Park tool) to a normal rate, actually a lower than normal rate compared to similar miles outside with more frequent lubing and chain cleaning before every lubing. Depends on what you are doing/how you ride indoors but for me, the chain wear seems much less per mile.
Same here. I've been using Muc-Off Dry lube for this purpose, it however wears off fast when riding outdoors.
Old 01-31-21, 08:59 AM
.joeri.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Why not lubing the chain? Anything different indoor riding then summer outdoor riding?

So, dry lube indeed
Old 02-07-21, 09:32 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked 394 Times in 233 Posts
Outside about every 300 miles, so inside that's once every 15 rides. After application, I wipe most of it off to keep the outside as clean as possible. It's pretty quiet, but I also use Bose noise cancelling ear buds.
Old 02-08-21, 11:11 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 131 Posts
CLEAN & LUBE!

The biggest thing you're cleaning out is the grit generated from the chain wear on itself. Cleaning that stuff out and lubing will extend the life of your chain. Just because there's no road grit doesn't mean that the chain will last forever, and the better you keep it clean and lubed, the longer it will last.