Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

how to identify a rear derailleur that goes with a 6 speed megarenge?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-21, 11:05 PM
first trip

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

can i fit any rear derailleur on a 6 speed freewheel or does the rear derailleur has to be labeled 6.

what about the shifting manettes?
tx
Old 03-18-21, 03:34 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
I believe any Shimano MTB derailer up to 9-speed should work. Pick a Tourney and be Done with it.

Don’t know what a ”manette” is.
Old 03-18-21, 08:13 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
French for "controller" or lever
Old 03-18-21, 08:48 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
You didn’t mention in the OP...is this an indexed or friction shifting system? If it’s friction...you should probably be able to use just about any derailleur.

Dan
Old 03-18-21, 09:39 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
6/7 speed has wider cogs, spacing & chain than 8 & above.
Just get a Shimano Tourney.
DER's for 8 & above start to get narrower and are more prone to chain rub.
Old 03-18-21, 10:20 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
I believe any Shimano MTB derailer up to 9-speed should work. Pick a Tourney and be Done with it.

Yes. But I wouldn’t go that far down the Shimano line. Altus is low enough without going into the sewer.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 03-19-21, 08:05 PM
first trip

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by first trip
can i fit any rear derailleur on a 6 speed freewheel or does the rear derailleur has to be labeled 6.

what about the shifting manettes?
tx
hi are you saying that investing a bit more money is not worth the quality of alivio or other higher that tourney. Im curious if you could share us what you base your legitimate opinion, it would bring clarity to me tx
Old 03-19-21, 08:12 PM
first trip

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
You didn’t mention in the OP...is this an indexed or friction shifting system? If it’s friction...you should probably be able to use just about any derailleur.

Dan
i prefer indexed
Old 03-19-21, 08:18 PM
first trip

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
6/7 speed has wider cogs, spacing & chain than 8 & above.
Just get a Shimano Tourney.
DER's for 8 & above start to get narrower and are more prone to chain rub.
is a 6 speed narrower in its global width than a 7 speed?

about tourney are you saying additional investment is not worth it?
Old 03-19-21, 10:16 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

hi are you saying that investing a bit more money is not worth the quality of alivio or other higher that tourney. Im curious if you could share us what you base your legitimate opinion, it would bring clarity to me tx
I would say that spending money on the Tourney is just wasted money. The secondary market Tourney is slightly better then what you’ll find on HelMart bikes but only slightly. I’ve worked on a lot of Tourneys and they are all rather flexible. Flexible and precise index shifting don’t go to together all that well. Alivio and higher derailers are stiffer and work better. Tuning them to shift well is just easier.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-20-21, 08:47 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I agree that an Alivio or Acera mtb rear derailleur would be a good choice. If you have access to a good mtb rear derailleur from the 90’s that will also work.

Basically any 6-9 speed SIS mtb rear derailleur will work. There is no concern about cage width. KMC sells their X8/X8.93 chain for 6/7/8 speed cassettes. I run this chain through 9 speed rear derailleurs for 7/8 speed setups without any issues.

John
Old 03-20-21, 10:55 AM
first trip

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I would say that spending money on the Tourney is just wasted money. The secondary market Tourney is slightly better then what you’ll find on HelMart bikes but only slightly. I’ve worked on a lot of Tourneys and they are all rather flexible. Flexible and precise index shifting don’t go to together all that well. Alivio and higher derailers are stiffer and work better. Tuning them to shift well is just easier.
my bike is not a mountain bike it is a stepthrough norco york ville

im not clear if aliexpress is second market or if shimano is ?
do you mean whatever comes stock with a new bike is lesser quality than a piece of the same name an companie bought separately?

Are you guys saying that whether i choose a claimed 7 rear derailleur or a 9 or 10 or 12 it does not change anything? they will all work well with a 6 speed?
wouldn't that be safer to choose a claimed 7/6-speed

like this one does not say 6 speed it says SHIMANO Alivio M3100 RD-M4000 27 Speed RD M4000 Mountain Bike Shadow 9-speed Rear Derailleur m3100 new model of m4000

would it work well for 6speed??

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33054482054.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.11d43c00psAykd&mp=1
Old 03-20-21, 10:59 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
You need to read and THINK before you keep tossing questions back.
This isn't Siri!
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 03-20-21, 02:12 PM
cyccommute 

my bike is not a mountain bike it is a stepthrough norco york ville

im not clear if aliexpress is second market or if shimano is ?
do you mean whatever comes stock with a new bike is lesser quality than a piece of the same name an companie bought separately?
The equipment that comes on a bike is called OEM which stands for “original equipment manufacturer”. Ignoring the tortured grammar (would a comma kill ya), OEM just means what comes on the bike. A “secondary market” would be if you bought a replacement part and put it on in the place of the OEM equipment. It’s also called “aftermarket”. Again ignoring the tortured grammar (would a space or hyphen kill ya!), it just means that you buy it and have it put on or put it on yourself. Where you buy it from doesn’t matter. Shimano makes the part but they don’t sell it direct to the consumer. Any item you buy from a shop is “after market”.

HelMart bikes (aka Big Box Store) bikes have even lower quality Tourney rear derailers than what you can buy in the after market. After market Tourney is almost okay but it is still a rather flexible derailer. A stiffer derailer (Alivio and above) is more precise and easier to tune.

Are you guys saying that whether i choose a claimed 7 rear derailleur or a 9 or 10 or 12 it does not change anything? they will all work well with a 6 speed?
that be safer to choose a claimed 7/6-speed

like this one does not say 6 speed it says SHIMANO Alivio M3100 RD-M4000 27 Speed RD M4000 Mountain Bike Shadow 9-speed Rear Derailleur m3100 new model of m4000

would it work well for 6speed??

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33054482054.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.11d43c00psAykd&mp=1
Yes...kinda...that is what we are saying (in a less shouty manner). But here’s the kinda bit. As long as the derailer is for a 9 speed (or less), it will work. 10 speed and higher use a different pull ratio and won’t work with your shifters. It doesn’t matter that the derailer is a “mountain bike” derailer, it will work. The derailer is basically a robot and does what the shifter tells it to do. As long as the pull ratio is right, the derailer doesn’t care how many speeds the bike has.

Old 03-20-21, 02:56 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
In order for a derailleur to work on a 6 speed freewheel you will of course have to use a 6 speed shifter. If you don't currently have a 6 speed shifter you will have to buy one
Old 03-20-21, 03:10 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Originally Posted by alcjphil
In order for a derailleur to work on a 6 speed freewheel you will of course have to use a 6 speed shifter. If you don't currently have a 6 speed shifter you will have to buy one
I would add this is important, since I don’t think Norco ever made a Yorkville step-Thru with a 6 speed freewheel.

And you should probably talk to the mechanic who is going to install the components for you.

John
Old 03-20-21, 03:37 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3667 Post(s)
Liked 5,420 Times in 2,756 Posts
Or just let the mechanic source the proper parts.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 03-20-21, 11:10 PM
first trip

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
You need to read and THINK before you keep tossing questions back.
This isn't Siri!
Hi
seems like part of you is insatisfied . sorry for that . since there are many questions, a consider your comment only as semi pertinent. Also asking for a confirmation is an act of gentlement utilizing his pesos wisely if it can reassure you.
Old 03-20-21, 11:17 PM
first trip

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
The equipment that comes on a bike is called OEM which stands for “original equipment manufacturer”. Ignoring the tortured grammar (would a comma kill ya), OEM just means what comes on the bike. A “secondary market” would be if you bought a replacement part and put it on in the place of the OEM equipment. It’s also called “aftermarket”. Again ignoring the tortured grammar (would a space or hyphen kill ya!), it just means that you buy it and have it put on or put it on yourself. Where you buy it from doesn’t matter. Shimano makes the part but they don’t sell it direct to the consumer. Any item you buy from a shop is “after market”.

HelMart bikes (aka Big Box Store) bikes have even lower quality Tourney rear derailers than what you can buy in the after market. After market Tourney is almost okay but it is still a rather flexible derailer. A stiffer derailer (Alivio and above) is more precise and easier to tune.

Yes...kinda...that is what we are saying (in a less shouty manner). But here’s the kinda bit. As long as the derailer is for a 9 speed (or less), it will work. 10 speed and higher use a different pull ratio and won’t work with your shifters. It doesn’t matter that the derailer is a “mountain bike” derailer, it will work. The derailer is basically a robot and does what the shifter tells it to do. As long as the pull ratio is right, the derailer doesn’t care how many speeds the bike has.
hi,
first sorry for missed grammar, it is not my native language and to be honnest i feel anxiety when i ask for help in a field i dont know so it is possible i m so anxious my typing is less than perfect. that is the way i am today trying to better ...
i never heard avout he pull ratio but i trust you. then how to select the manettes lever control ?

and i dont want to anoy you but would a 6-7 derailleur be better than a 9 speed for example?
tx for teaching me the basics

Last edited by first trip; 03-20-21 at 11:28 PM.
Old 03-20-21, 11:19 PM
first trip

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
I would add this is important, since I don’t think Norco ever made a Yorkville step-Thru with a 6 speed freewheel.

And you should probably talk to the mechanic who is going to install the components for you.

John
you are right originally it is a 21 but since i put a hubmotor electric in back wheel, it need space and 7 speed is too tight so i ll try with a 6 speed hoping it will give me more space... maybe 1 cm? could you say?
tx
since i want to learn and i m broke ill go in a do it yourself shop and order by myself.
Old 03-20-21, 11:22 PM
first trip

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
hi
english is my second language . is a shifter the thing you move with your finger to change difficulté speed? or other part?
Old 03-21-21, 05:20 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3667 Post(s)
Liked 5,420 Times in 2,756 Posts
Here is good info you can absorb at your leisure. Best to have a basic understanding of these things before you start your project. https://www.sheldonbrown.com/bicycleGears.html
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 03-21-21, 09:30 AM
cyccommute 

hi,
first sorry for missed grammar, it is not my native language and to be honnest i feel anxiety when i ask for help in a field i dont know so it is possible i m so anxious my typing is less than perfect. that is the way i am today trying to better ...
i never heard avout he pull ratio but i trust you. then how to select the manettes lever control ?
You don’t really need to worry too much about pull ratio unless you are trying to use a 10 speed and above shifters. The 10 speed shifter has a different pull ratio and won’t work with 9 speed and less shifters. I’m assuming that you are just replacing the derailer on an existing system so shifter selection has already been done for you. That dictates the type of rear derailer you get. If you want to change the number of gears you have, that would mean new shifters as well as other parts. I’d suggest just staying with what you have now.

and i dont want to anoy you but would a 6-7 derailleur be better than a 9 speed for example?
tx for teaching me the basics
It doesn’t matter. 6 and 7 speed systems are somewhat obsolete but since they used the same pull ratio as 9 speed, a 9 speed derailer will work. Since those are still available, just use the 9 speed. It won’t make any difference nor will it shift any better or worse.

Old 03-21-21, 09:42 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Until you get some experience, you'll be much better off if you just match all the components of your drive train. Use the same model and series front and back DR and shifters. Pick cassettes and chain wheels that Shimano shows as compatible with that specific model line..

Don't mix up even the same model with a much earlier series of that same model, because many times it will have some incompatibilities. DuraAce today won't work with DuraAce of 10 years ago.

Shimano has compatibility charts and other tables to help you figure this out. https://si.shimano.com/#/
Old 03-21-21, 09:45 AM
70sSanO

Now I understand. To be honest, the first step would have been to “first” research hub motor over locknut width required and the rear dropout spacing on your bike.

I only spent a few minutes Googling it, but if your hub motor requires 135mm or more and your aluminum frame spacing is 130mm, or worse at 126mm, it will not fit.

I would ask in the Electric Bikes subforum if it will work. And you need details as to the bike you have and the hub motor you want to use.

You will not save 1cm between a 6 and 7 speed freewheel. You “might” be able to use a 5 speed freewheel with friction shifters and re-space the hub motor to fit narrower dropouts. I just don’t know. But it is way beyond just buying a few parts and hoping for the best.

Good luck.

John

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.