Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Newest of newbies looking for route

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Newest of newbies looking for route

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-21, 10:31 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2737 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
Originally Posted by ignant666
Let's get the full Biblical resonance in there: that would be Onancock, Va.
Indeed, as everyone knows that Onacock is the twin city to *****, Newfoundland.

(very funny, censor blocked out the actual, real name of the town in Newfoundland, starts with d, ends with an o, and has a i, l and d in there for good measure.)
Likes For djb:
Old 04-05-21, 05:04 PM
balto charlie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by ignant666
Let's get the full Biblical resonance in there: that would be Onancock, Va.

Onancock is quite near Crisfield, where one can take a ferry to Tangier Island and then another ferry onwards to the the Virginia mainland, ending up fairly near the Williamsburg-Richmond trail mentioned above.

Heading north in DelMarVa, you can take a ferry across to Cape May, New Jersey, ride up the Jersey shore to Sandy Hook, and take another ferry to NYC.
Onancock is also a great area to rent a kayak and paddle out to deserted islands full of sand and reeds. AND a chicken festival!!

Good info about the ferrys. Love the idea. I was trying to organize a tour through Southern Md (point lookout), ferry/boat rental to Smith Island then boat to the eastern shore. Some boats will take folks to Smith Island and onward. A work in progress.
Old 04-05-21, 05:52 PM
a_d_a_m

Bikes: 2021 Kona Sutra, Ragley parts-cycle

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 1,242 Times in 336 Posts
You could do the southern end of the Ohio bike routes 1 & 3. That would accomplish:
-four to five day ride
-daily mileage under 50 (well, close enough anyway)
-out and back
-within a day's drive of Charleston (if you're willing to drive 10hrs - which is nothing for me)
-flat (and mostly on trail)
-hotel availability

Here's your out, and reverse it for your back:
Cincinnati to Waynesville via OBR1, 52 miles: https://goo.gl/maps/6BauJFwjBPb8XzEN7
Waynesville to Springfield via OBR3, 34 miles: https://goo.gl/maps/bzLGCU3gKpD19HXm6
Old 04-05-21, 09:18 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
@a_d_a_m,

You should consider the ride I had planned out around the Perimeter Of Ohio (POO is a terrible name for a ride though )...

From where I am in Lorain County - west of Cleveland -- Follow the Lake Erie shoreline east to the PA line, follow the PA/OH line down to the Ohio River, follow the Ohio river all the way to Cinci, then up the OH/IN line North to Michigan, and over the OH/MI border to Lake Erie again, then back home (taking the ferry from Catawba to the Lake Erie Islands, and them back to Sandusky). 1050-ish miles. The only two remotely hilly sections are along the OH/PA border from Lake Erie to East Liverpool (on the Ohio river), and from Cinci to Dayton.

I figured stops in towns every 30-60 miles making for a 3- to 3-1/2 weeks for a relaxing trip. Stopping at the towns to absorb the history and culture of each... But then again, I'm retired and have nothing BUT time...