Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Colnago mystery, what is it?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-21, 02:18 PM
reissue59

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 158 Times in 67 Posts

This bike has been for sale for a while, mish mash of parts, and no decals but with panto on frame and fork
so, what is it?

Old 03-25-21, 09:46 PM
Gary Fountain

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 124 Posts
I'll get the ball rolling and start with a guess that this frame is a 1984(ish) Colnago Super Piu. The frame looks like a super configuration to me and with the flat and 'Colnago' cast seat stay caps, I would guess at a 1984(ish) vintage. The 'Piu', which indicates internal top tube cable routing, was an option around-about then and could have been ordered when the frame was built. (Addition of chrome features is another example of availability of options.)

Another thing I looked at was the head set which looks like Campagnolo Super Record. I'm also guessing that this is original and might help to give a 'ball park' estimation of the frame era. Hard to see but I think the frame has only one set of biddon mounts also indicating an early to mid 80's frame.

I love the Campy Nuovo Record seatpost with its milled flutes. I wish I could see the front of the seatpost as there appears to be something engraved on it.

YES - I'd consider buying it too! There's a lot to like about this bike.

Identification is really difficult due to the poor photographs which is probably out of your control.

Footnote: I have a 1991 Colnago Super that has internal top tube cable routing. It was a Pro team bike and is in original condition. The decal on the LH chain stay simply says 'SUPER'. My bike frame is very similar to this frame although the seat stay caps are different and updated. My front fork crown is an updated version too and, strangely enough, has curved fork blades like the bike in question.

Last edited by Gary Fountain; 03-25-21 at 10:20 PM.
Old 03-26-21, 05:01 AM
reissue59

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 158 Times in 67 Posts
colnago

The seller is asking 1200$, way too much even for our market. It's been for sale for 3 years now
Owner is adamant that the bike is original, lol
Old 03-26-21, 05:05 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 628 Times in 472 Posts
Originally Posted by reissue59
The seller is asking 1200$, way too much even for our market. It's been for sale for 3 years now
I'm pretty sure that stem is dangerously far above the minimum insertion point. I'd figure there's better out there at that price point!
Old 03-26-21, 08:44 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,284 Times in 1,278 Posts
The bike looks to be in good condition paint wise and thats all I can tell by the photos. I bought a 1975 Super in rider condition right here on BF in November . It is fairly original with period correct components and I didn't pay near that $$$.
Old 03-26-21, 10:34 AM
Gary Fountain

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 124 Posts
Originally Posted by reissue59
For sale for 3 years says something. It's too expensive in my opinion. Perhaps $500 to $700 is what I'd be thinking. Time to move to something else.

Original - well the steerer tube decal is something I've never seen before.