Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Upgrade Options from old Ultegra Drivetrain?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-21, 08:02 PM
cuddy8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a 2013-2014 Trek Madone 4.7 with an Ultegra drivetrain. I along with multiple reputable mechanics have worked on trying to get the shifting as smooth as it can be, however, we just can't get there. By smooth, I mean one click on the shift lever should move to the next gear appropriately. I am wondering if the drivetrain is just worn out from years of use and an upgrade is warranted? I don't expect shifting on a road bike to be totally quiet or unnoticeable, but multiple clicks to move gears shouldn't happen. All of the parts seem to be in working condition with no defects, bends, etc.

I'm curious about your thoughts on the smoothest groupsets out there for long endurance cycling?

Thanks
Old 04-01-21, 08:16 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3240 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
Replace chain and cassette. Start there. Maybe cables at same time. I'm surprised multiple mechanics haven't suggested this already.

Moving to a new Ultegra or 105 level group cheaply is dependent on whether the rear hub can handle an 11 spd. cassette. If so, you can upgrade cassette, both derailers, chain and shifters (plus cables and bar tape). Couple of hundred bucks.
Old 04-01-21, 08:20 PM
cuddy8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, I appreciate the recommendations. The chain was the first thing I swapped out when I bought the bike. I honestly haven't given a though to the cassette, so I may give that a try. Any recommendations on a 10 speed groupset upgrade?
Old 04-02-21, 07:05 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Cables and housings must be replaced regularly. This is not an afterthought. They will become a primary cause of sluggish shifting and when the rear shift cable fails at the ratcheting head within the shifter, heaven help you. Don't hesitate to replace these.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 04-02-21, 07:32 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 975 Posts
A 2013-2014 Trek would have an Ultegra 6700 drivetrain. Cable and housing replacement on a regular basis is very important to prevent shifting problems with this setup. This was Shimano's first attempt at routing shift cables under the bar tape and they didn't get it quite right until 11 speed came out.
Old 04-03-21, 08:44 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 817 Times in 411 Posts
As previously mentioned, the cables must be in good order, and it helps if the shifters are clean and properly lubricated. As for shifting, the chain rings on the freewheel and crank set have ramps or lands to improve shifting speed. However, these ramps and lands are not the same on every tooth. Sometimes, if you shift when the chain is in the proper position, a shift will be instantaneous, other times it will not be, this is normal. A properly lubricated driveline will make little or no noise. If there are louder sounds, like a loud whirring sound, or a long whir and occasional click, then the derailleur may not be centered, the can be fixed with the barrel adjusters. So long as the derailleur is centered, and the stops are adjusted, it should shift properly.
Old 04-03-21, 11:25 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Multiple reputable mechanics have looked at the bike? Then surely the cassette, chainrings, and cables have all been inspected and replaced if needed.
Old 04-04-21, 06:05 AM
Melvang

Bikes: Kona Roast, Cannondale R500 CAAD4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Replace chain and cassette. Start there. Maybe cables at same time. I'm surprised multiple mechanics haven't suggested this already.

Moving to a new Ultegra or 105 level group cheaply is dependent on whether the rear hub can handle an 11 spd. cassette. If so, you can upgrade cassette, both derailers, chain and shifters (plus cables and bar tape). Couple of hundred bucks.
Shifters alone are going to cost more than that unless buying used or gray market. I just put 105 11 speed on my bike and shifters were $235.

Last edited by Melvang; 04-04-21 at 06:08 AM.
Likes For Melvang: