Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1978 Motobecane Grand Touring> Oh, what to do.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-21, 04:19 PM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts

Someone just donated what seems to be a Motobecane Grand Touring to the Bike Exchange and I am trying to figure out what to do with it. It looks to be in excellent condition. The paint is almost perfect the 27 inch tires are fairly new with no cracking and everything works. I have looked this model up and it appears to be a touring model with vitus main tubes, Weinman center pull brakes and concave rims, and Suntour derailleurs and friction shifters.

Is this a desirable touring bike? Should I just clean it up and service it and leave it stock or should I change it around. Some upgrades I might consider:
spread the rear stays
change the rims to 700 c Super Champions with a 7 speed hyperglide freewheel with 40 mm tires if they will fit.
Swap the brakes for Mafacs to accommodate the rims.
bar end index shifters
change the bars to upright and make it a city bike

I have access to all the parts i would need to do any of these changes. Either way the bike would then be sold by the Bike Exchange to help finance our operation.
Old 04-06-21, 05:10 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,288 Times in 1,278 Posts
My daughter has one but I cant remember if it has 27” wheels or not. She loves the bike and commuted on it when she lived in Rhode Island. It has the HelioMatic hub on the rear. I would leave it alone if everything works , just clean it up. She bought it through a bike hub cooperative . I think she paid $225. The paint and everything is in great condition.
Old 04-07-21, 12:14 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
They're fine bikes, especially the Vitus tubed frames (killer score if it's Vitus 172, which feels light as hell to me). The Vitus frames were far better than the 1020 and 2040 frames IMO. For desirability, I mean, it's a touring bike, it's as good or popular as touring bikes are I suppose. There was only one step higher n the catalog, Grand Jubile, which shaved off a pound or two IIRC. Still, should be pretty light weight as-is for a touring rig.

If it's a 1978 (catalog/specs here) I personally feel like it's a very desirable bike and the only upgrade I'd bother with are purely drivetrain, moving to a forged crank versus (what I think is?) stock swaged crank and maybe moving to a lighter era-correct mech setup, like something of the Cyclone GT flavor, the shifters should be fine (and compatible).

Old 04-07-21, 01:49 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,288 Times in 1,278 Posts
Originally Posted by francophile
They're fine bikes, especially the Vitus tubed frames (killer score if it's Vitus 172, which feels light as hell to me). The Vitus frames were far better than the 1020 and 2040 frames IMO. For desirability, I mean, it's a touring bike, it's as good or popular as touring bikes are I suppose. There was only one step higher n the catalog, Grand Jubile, which shaved off a pound or two IIRC. Still, should be pretty light weight as-is for a touring rig.

If it's a 1978 (catalog/specs here) I personally feel like it's a very desirable bike and the only upgrade I'd bother with are purely drivetrain, moving to a forged crank versus (what I think is?) stock swaged crank and maybe moving to a lighter era-correct mech setup, like something of the Cyclone GT flavor, the shifters should be fine (and compatible).
I would agree with the Vitus tubing being light. I am building a Motobecane Grand sprint that just got back from powder paint and it is the Vitus 888 which is further down the food chain with Super Vitus drop outs. It feels very light for a 63cm frame , I am planning on weighing it before and after building it.
Likes For Kabuki12: