Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Soliciting thoughts on Nashbar Vuelta Carbon Pro V1 SE Road Wheelset

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-18, 11:25 AM
ctmo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yes, I know about Yeoleo. These are $486, from a US company. Anyone have any thoughts on these? They have not been reviewed as far as I can tell. I'm very tempted...

Here are the specs if you don't want to click through:
  • High modulus monocoque carbon fiber rim construction for superb stiffness, strength, and weight savings
  • 30mm rim height for exceptional acceleration and hill-climbing capacity
  • Tubeless ready (includes tubeless valve stems and tubeless rim tape)
  • Vuelta plain gauge C45 steel spokes with straight pull design for aerodynamics and strength
  • Front wheel uses 16 spokes in radial lacing pattern
  • Rear wheel uses 24 spokes with radial non-drive/2x drive-side lacing pattern
  • CNC'd Vuelta aluminum hubs roll super-smooth on cartridge bearings
  • Shimano/SRAM 8/9/10/11-speeed compatible cassette body
  • Hand-built to ensure perfect tension and true
  • Weight: 1480g/pair
Old 06-12-18, 06:46 AM
kizale

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Altamira 2.3, 2015 Specialized Diverge, 2016 Diamondback Overdrive 29er, 1996 Raleigh Talon CX

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I saw them too. It looks like they just lowered the price from $6xx. I think I'll take a shot. Nashbar has a lifetime guarantee and the best return policy if they don't work out.
Old 06-12-18, 08:01 AM
Bathwater

Location: In my car with my Garmin, stealing all your Strava KOMs
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kizale
I saw them too. It looks like they just lowered the price from $6xx. I think I'll take a shot. Nashbar has a lifetime guarantee and the best return policy if they don't work out.
Just a heads up, they got rid of the lifetime guarantee maybe a month ago.
Old 06-12-18, 09:18 AM
kizale

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Altamira 2.3, 2015 Specialized Diverge, 2016 Diamondback Overdrive 29er, 1996 Raleigh Talon CX

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I see that, it's a year now. They do have a good rep for customer service and that should be enough time to see if they're any good. At that price they're even cheaper then the generic Chinese stuff.
Old 06-12-18, 10:22 AM
ctmo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good to know. I might pull the trigger within the next few weeks. Let me know your thoughts if you get them before then!

I'm not too well versed in lacing patterns/spoke counts; do we think these would hold up ok? I'm not exactly lightweight at ~180lbs.
  • Front wheel uses 16 spokes in radial lacing pattern
  • Rear wheel uses 24 spokes with radial non-drive/2x drive-side lacing pattern
Old 06-12-18, 11:31 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
The lacing pattern of those is reasonable and truthfully makes relatively little difference. The spoke count is definitely low and may or may not be fine for you. It depends on what tension the rim is designed to withstand, how close the build is to that tension, and how even the tension is. Carbon rims are typically pretty stiff and it may or may not be designed to be built at high tension to compensate for the low spoke count.

Can't comment on much else. The rim may or may not be very well manufactured, the build may or may not be very good, no idea about braking performance. Vuelta hubs are usually fine if not fancy. Straight pull spokes make spoke replacement slightly harder at many LBSes, but do eliminate the need to set the spoke elbows of J bend spokes against the hub flange which lots of factory wheels neglect to do.

Looks like original sale price was a bit higher--although truthfully Nashbar stuff is usually bought at a pretty stiff discount. My guess it's probably decent, but you're definitely taking a bit of a risk on quality and performance. If they start failing you're not out much cash.
Old 06-12-18, 01:21 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Vuelta wheels are like the red headed step child of inexpensive wheels. No one wants to talk about them because they are cheap, but they are a great buy and very sturdy. I still have a few sets from 2009 and have never had any problems with them. I loan them out to some folks that need a set while waiting for new wheels to come in and they didn't know what they were until I told them. I've tacoed (more like an asplosion) a set of Lightweights, but the Vueltas keep going (apples to oranges, I know).
Old 06-12-18, 03:12 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Why bother, they aren't any lighter or more aero than a comparable aluminum clincher at that pricepoint?
Old 06-12-18, 03:32 PM
ctmo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
Why bother, they aren't any lighter or more aero than a comparable aluminum clincher at that pricepoint?
Because they'll look nicer on my bike

Any aluminum clinchers you'd recommend around that pricepoint? I looked briefly at the Ksyrium Elite UST, those close to the same weight but are ~$200 more expensive.
Old 06-12-18, 03:40 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by ctmo

Any aluminum clinchers you'd recommend around that pricepoint? I looked briefly at the Ksyrium Elite UST, those close to the same weight but are ~$200 more expensive.
These to me are a steal right now, wider, taller, handbuilt, cxrays, and a great member on this board. https://novemberbicycles.com/products/fsw3

Fulcrum Racing 3s from various sites also fit that bill https://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-w.../10782864.html
Old 06-12-18, 07:17 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,485 Times in 4,187 Posts
Originally Posted by ctmo

Prowheelbuilder.com

h+Son Archetype 23mm wide and 25mm deep rims.
bitex RA12 hubs.
Sapim laser double butted spokes.
Sapim brass nips.
20h front radial and 24h rear 2cross lacing.

1490g
$400.24

if you use sapim aluminum nips instead of brass, it's down to 1452g and $408.60 for the otherwise same setup.

- handbuilt to proper tension and relieved.
- tons of options to suit your budget and need.
- cheaper and lighter than the Vuelta set.
- aluminum and not budget carbon.
- double butted spokes that are lighter and stronger than than plain gauge Vuelta spokes.
- quality components all around.
- easier to replace spokes that break vs Vueltas.
- 25mm or 30mm depth just won't matter.

you could get real wild and go 24h front and 28h rear with double butted spokes and alloy nips for 1490g. Strong, reliable, light, and still $65 less than the Vuelta set.

Last edited by mstateglfr; 06-12-18 at 07:25 PM.
Old 06-13-18, 08:59 AM
ctmo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is good stuff. Going to poke around on prowheelbuilder for a bit. I think i've eliminated the Vueltas at this point.

Also came across some 44mm carbon clinchers on probikekit for $559. Not sure if they do any coupons.

The Venn Alter 44 TCC wheels are designed to accommodate wide tyres and are the only carbon wheels on the market that are made primarily for cyclocross or gravel bike use. The rims are compatible with clincher or tubeless clincher tyres and are manufactured using Venn’s continuous tangent layup process.

The 44mm deep and 26mm wide U-shaped profile provide a very strong platform which delivers exceptional stiffness while allowing for a reduction in rim weight to just 430g.Specifications:Rim technologyContinuous Tangent LayupRim depth44mmRim width26mmHubVenn ReaTyre systemTubeless or clincherBraking systemRim brakeSpoke count20 front/24 rearLacing patternRadial front/ 2 cross rearExternalSapim nipplesWeight1,510g (wheelset)Parts includedRim tape, tubeless valve, brake pads