Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Value: 1987 Cannondale ST600 ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-20, 08:58 PM
Binky

Bikes: Too, too many....

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 57 Posts
Value: 1987 Cannondale ST600 ?

I think I traded a Raleigh mountain bike for this about 6 years ago hoping my wife would use it more than she has.
It worked out well for all concerned.
He wasn't using this and he got a bike that he could actually use and I got a VASTLY better bike in exchange.

Is there still much of a a market for these "Made in the USA" aluminum Cannondale touring bikes ?
Shimano 600 alloy brakes, headset, and hubs, Mistral alloy rims, Deore alloy derailleurs, Nitto alloy stem, 3ttt alloy bars, Biopace alloy 50/44/28, Shimano alloy crank arms... and Tange Mangaloy forks.

And what is with the chain ring spread -- 50 - 44 - 28 ? Is that a standard setup ??

Binky

Old 01-13-20, 09:12 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Desirable bike, and your market is very strong.

Crankset is sometimes called half step with a granny. Common on vintage touring bikes.
Old 01-14-20, 08:53 AM
Binky

Thanks...

So you think $400 US ($500 Canadian) would be reasonable ?
The guy gave me the original paperwork from when he bought it for $1,195.00 Canadian in May, 1988.

So do you think it is worth putting the bike on eBay instead of the local Buy and Sell ....

(in hopes of attracting a couple of purists with long arms and deep pockets ?)

Bink
Old 01-14-20, 02:24 PM
Binky

Originally Posted by wrk101
Desirable bike, and your market is very strong.

Crankset is sometimes called half step with a granny. Common on vintage touring bikes.
What do you think of this active eBay listing for something very similar.
Is this crazy or insane ?

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Vintage-Cann.../262862875916?

Binky

Old 01-14-20, 02:31 PM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 191 Posts
Ebay asking prices don't reflect real-world pricing, only the whim of the seller, as sellers can ask any price they want.

Follow that auction and see what it actually sells for, or better yet, do an ebay Advanced Search > Sold listings to see what similar bikes have sold for recently.
Likes For bargainguy:
Old 01-14-20, 03:17 PM
Binky

Originally Posted by bargainguy
Ebay asking prices don't reflect real-world pricing, only the whim of the seller, as sellers can ask any price they want.

Follow that auction and see what it actually sells for, or better yet, do an ebay Advanced Search > Sold listings to see what similar bikes have sold for recently.
That is how I found the auction item shown above.
I did a search of completed auctions and of other Cannondale bikes and that treasure showed up.
There really are not enough comparable or similar late 1980s Cannondale touring bikes in recent history on eBay to form a pattern.
I put this auction on my Watch list and follow it because I'm curious, with obvious reason.
I am (as of now) one of 28 Watchers (!) and there have so far been 12 rejected offers. No indication of what the offers were: only that they were rejected.
I do not know how this auction item appears where you are but here in Canada the listing shows that for Canadians the bike purchase entails extra charges totalling $550.00 on top of the bid, for shipping and import duties.

Bink
Old 01-14-20, 03:18 PM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
Have you ridden this bike?
Is it your size?
I would ride mine around the world!
Probably been done!
Put a bit more tire on it and explore!
If you ride a steel bike, this will be a huge change!

Last edited by billnuke1; 01-14-20 at 04:01 PM. Reason: More thoughts...
Old 01-14-20, 03:46 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,433 Times in 2,759 Posts
I sold this beautiful and upgraded ST a couple of years ago for under $300, IIRC. Don't know what possessed me to sell, but there were a couple of other regretables that also went during a fit of downsizing. https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ondale-st.html
Old 01-14-20, 04:23 PM
Binky

Originally Posted by billnuke1
Have you ridden this bike?
Is it your size?
I would ride mine around the world!
Probably been done!
Put a bit more tire on it and explore!
If you ride a steel bike, this will be a huge change!
Now, thats the thing: It measures 21 inches from BB to centre of top tube: definitely not my size.
I hoped that my wife would get some use out of it, but she has easily 4 or 6 bikes that she prefers, and just picked up a 2006 Specialized Sirrus for this coming Spring riding, but if it were one size bigger I would just keep it and ride it myself.

It really should go to a rider who will appreciate it for what it is, (like I said, a rider with deep pockets).
We'll see how it goes. Maybe I'll grow shorter...

Bink
Old 01-14-20, 04:53 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Originally Posted by Binky
Thanks...

So you think $400 US ($500 Canadian) would be reasonable ?
The guy gave me the original paperwork from when he bought it for $1,195.00 Canadian in May, 1988.

So do you think it is worth putting the bike on eBay instead of the local Buy and Sell ....

(in hopes of attracting a couple of purists with long arms and deep pockets ?)

Bink
If I lived on your market, I would never, ever, sell complete bikes on eBay, with the exception of some super rare, high end bike. Selling complete bikes on eBay means you have to pack and ship. And you have all the fees. I stomach eBay only because my local market is so weak. Meanwhile, you enjoy one of the best local markets in the world.

Save eBay for parts.

shipping form Canada to the US will be expensive compared to US sellers.

IMHO Cannondales do not draw collectors with the possible exception of early Black Lightnings.

Do you really care who it goes to? I hear this a lot but in the end most want the highest price, not the best home. Imagine this choice: sell to the best home or get twice as much but it’s not as good a home.

Last edited by wrk101; 01-14-20 at 04:58 PM.
Old 01-14-20, 05:44 PM
Binky

Originally Posted by wrk101
If I lived on your market, I would never, ever, sell complete bikes on eBay, with the exception of some super rare, high end bike. Selling complete bikes on eBay means you have to pack and ship. And you have all the fees. I stomach eBay only because my local market is so weak. Meanwhile, you enjoy one of the best local markets in the world.

Save eBay for parts.

shipping form Canada to the US will be expensive compared to US sellers.

IMHO Cannondales do not draw collectors with the possible exception of early Black Lightnings.

Do you really care who it goes to? I hear this a lot but in the end most want the highest price, not the best home. Imagine this choice: sell to the best home or get twice as much but it’s not as good a home.
When you are right, you are right.
I will try to re-home it locally.
Because I care....

I only care that it should go to a good home... one with lots of disposable income and a desire to share !

Binky
Old 01-14-20, 08:41 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

$150 Cannondale in that Ebay ad above. Notice that the seller isn't a bike person? Only a sucker would pay that asking price. Your bike is a better model.

Last edited by wrk101; 01-14-20 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01-15-20, 11:26 AM
dailycommute

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
There was a mint late 80s ST1000 on CL here last spring that languished....started at 595 and last list was 325 before it disappeared. Had full on racks, panniers and brooks included. Was tempted myself but coming up on 2 years in bike buying "recovery" and that has made life way simpler.....can't save them all!
Likes For dailycommute:
Old 01-31-20, 12:14 PM
escii_35
deleteme

Bikes: deleteme

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What did I pay for a minty 1993 with a slight garage oops in the top tube 7 mo ago? A no quibble $275 + 40min drive and bridge fare. $350 would have been my Max. It's my grocery getter two bag touring rig and I ride the $h&# out of it.

All original with cdale rear rack and cages.

The bad of all original. Last edition accushift. (No friction setting due to patent infringement). Super stuck freewheel. (I detected no grease on the threads after breaking a FW tool then taking a pipe wrench to it. Rear Wheel is starting to fall out of true.

The retired guy I bought it from was a boarder line hoarder who donated all his low end fixed up stock to charity once a year. "This was in such nice shape I left it as is."