Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Direct mount brakes

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Direct mount brakes

Old 04-16-21, 06:14 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Direct mount brakes

I'm a bit embarrassed that I don't know this, but can you take the symmetrical dual-pivot brakes introduced on 9000, remove the yoke, and mount them on a direct mount frameset, or are the arms different...?
Old 04-16-21, 09:50 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 334 Posts
I don't know. Never tried it. Never heard of anyone who did. I'll bet you'd have a clearance problem with brake pad and the fork or seatstay (or chainstay for certain "aero" frames). I'll bet that if you try to shim away the clearance problem, the pivot bolts won't be long enough. I'll also bet that the pivot bolts will unthread themselves from the frame.
Old 04-17-21, 12:49 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
I'm a bit embarrassed that I don't know this, but can you take the symmetrical dual-pivot brakes introduced on 9000, remove the yoke, and mount them on a direct mount frameset, or are the arms different...?
They are different. DP calipers off the bike retain their functional assembly, but DM are only a functional assembly when mounted on the bosses in the frame.
Old 04-19-21, 08:35 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
Good question. I am staring at a ZTTO or ZRACE branded brake in which the distance between the 2 bolts on the back yoke is about 46mm. So if the distance between the bolt holes on a direct-mount frame (fork and rear stays) is the same, perhaps they would fit. However, the yoke is about 1cm thick, and if it were to be removed, then the brake pads would definitely hit the fork/frame. I suppose you could add 1cm of spacers between the caliper and the fork, but that would introduce a whole bunch of flex and likely defeat the purpose of the direct-mount brake design.

No advertisement, but I ordered a set of these brakes from Asia for less than $25, and have been trusting my life to them for the last few months. At over 400 grams per pair, they are not light, but excellent power and modulation. They are all over Ebay from multiple sellers.

Example:

Road Bike Caliper Brake Folding Bicycle Calipe Brake Dual Pivot Calipers Brake | eBay
Old 04-21-21, 02:24 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
Good question. I am staring at a ZTTO or ZRACE branded brake in which the distance between the 2 bolts on the back yoke is about 46mm. So if the distance between the bolt holes on a direct-mount frame (fork and rear stays) is the same, perhaps they would fit. However...
Dual Pivot brakes cannot be disassembled and then mounted to a direct mount frame. Compare the caliper assemblies. They aren't even remotely the same.