Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Front derailleur hanger extension?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-20, 08:14 AM
tomgdaly
The Crank

Bikes: I think it's six at the moment, ranging from a Scott Foil to a 1979 TI Raleigh Team Edition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

I got a 30/44 teeth chainset to reduce the gearing on my roadbike for bikepacking and touring. However, I need some way to lower the front derailleur. I bought a GRX derailleur because of the longer reach but I’m still up to 8 mm short.

Is there a simple extender available (the bracket is riveted to carbon frame)?

The only option that I can find online is a Wickwerks ‘Fit Link Braze-on Adapter’. If that would work it would cost me 100 dollars approx. with shipping and import charges etc from US to Ireland. This would be ok if it would work and there is no other option.

Any advice appreciated.
Old 07-22-20, 08:24 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
You might be able to use a clamp-on adapter, if it will fit below the current mount, like this one: https://www.amazon.com/SRAM-Braze-On.../dp/B008H60OZA
SJS has a similar one and shipping to Ireland might be less: https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gear-spa...ilver/?geoc=US
Old 07-22-20, 08:52 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by tomgdaly
I got a 30/44 teeth chainset to reduce the gearing on my roadbike for bikepacking and touring. However, I need some way to lower the front derailleur. I bought a GRX derailleur because of the longer reach but I’m still up to 8 mm short.

Is there a simple extender available (the bracket is riveted to carbon frame)?

The only option that I can find online is a Wickwerks ‘Fit Link Braze-on Adapter’. If that would work it would cost me 100 dollars approx. with shipping and import charges etc from US to Ireland. This would be ok if it would work and there is no other option.

Any advice appreciated.
something like this?
https://www.jensonusa.com/Problem-So...iABEgKRFvD_BwE
Old 07-22-20, 09:06 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Just remembered that you likely can't clamp things to the CF frame - here's a different design that might work:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-FSA-Bik...EAAOSwlGZfB839
Old 07-22-20, 10:54 AM
tomgdaly
The Crank

Bikes: I think it's six at the moment, ranging from a Scott Foil to a 1979 TI Raleigh Team Edition

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
Just remembered that you likely can't clamp things to the CF frame - here's a different design that might work:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-FSA-Bik...EAAOSwlGZfB839
That's great thanks - (and yes, a band won't work on the carbon seatpost with 'teardrop' shape). I can get it much cheaper and FSA say it will do a 30-tooth inner - https://shop.fullspeedahead.com/en/a...ompact-adapter
Another potential snag is the 'tail' of the deraileur snagging the chain-stay; you get the usual accumulation of problems when you start to deviate from off-the-peg stuff. However, I think I'll be 'near enough'.
Old 07-22-20, 12:05 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
the other one

https://wickwerks.com/products/fit-link-adapter/

Option: Strip the parts off sell the frame/bike, get one with a round seat tube..

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-22-20 at 12:18 PM.
Old 07-22-20, 12:16 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
really off topic but checking the small world thing out..... you don't by any chance have a brother, reative Alan Daly in San Jose, rides a lot, plays guitar?

Old 07-22-20, 12:23 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I have been using triple front derailleurs same one on an older cable over the BB frame

I could not use the same big chainring as I could on one with the cable running under the BB shell.

so you may have to get a different FD & that FSA thing.. or live with what you have

get a lower low with bigger cassette cogs..
Old 07-22-20, 03:26 PM
tomgdaly
The Crank

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
really off topic but checking the small world thing out..... you don't by any chance have a brother, reative Alan Daly in San Jose, rides a lot, plays guitar?
No connection
Old 04-22-21, 04:11 PM
IanPritchard

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FD Hanger

I have exactly the same problem with a Chinese CF gravel frame I have bought and am building up with GX components. The derailleur sits too high for the 46/34 chainrings.

Options are:
  1. a ready made adaptor/extension
  2. have a local metal fabricator make a modified hanger
  3. drill an additional lower mounting point to the seat tube using a "rivet nut"
3 would be quickest and cheapest (I have a rivet nut gun already) and have successfully fitting bottle bosses to an alloy frame, but am cautious about doing the same to CF.

I should add that the hanger can be removed with a hex key/wrench - it is not riveted to the frame.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Last edited by IanPritchard; 04-22-21 at 04:13 PM. Reason: addition information
Old 04-27-21, 04:45 PM
IanPritchard

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Update on FD hanger extension

I found an FSA Super Compact adapter. Could have got one delivered for AU$40 from Taiwan, but out of stock, so I've sourced one in the USA for a bit more. Looks like it will do the job.

I investigated drilling a new mount in the seat tube, but was reluctant to do do in a brand new frame still under warranty. It's doable with the right preparation of the rivet nut including aluprep and anodyne before applying epoxy and riveting it in place.

Can't believe there's not an easier solution to what must be a common issue, such as a standard bracket with a longer extension to it.

Originally Posted by IanPritchard
I have exactly the same problem with a Chinese CF gravel frame I have bought and am building up with GX components. The derailleur sits too high for the 46/34 chainrings.

Options are:
  1. a ready made adaptor/extension
  2. have a local metal fabricator make a modified hanger
  3. drill an additional lower mounting point to the seat tube using a "rivet nut"
3 would be quickest and cheapest (I have a rivet nut gun already) and have successfully fitting bottle bosses to an alloy frame, but am cautious about doing the same to CF.

I should add that the hanger can be removed with a hex key/wrench - it is not riveted to the frame.

Any thoughts?

Thanks