Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Using Delivery Apps to Courier Abroad?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-21, 09:22 PM
MacMorrighan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Can one travel from country to country and use UberEats, and other delivery apps as a way to make some money in a new country without being nationalized or without a green card, etc.? Is doing so even legal, or is it a legal grey area? Or do these delivery apps have regulations in place to prevent one from making money in this manner?
Old 04-05-21, 06:16 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I was fascinated to see if anyone would reply, no one has tried. The focus of this commuting forum is riding a bike to a job, not as a job, but I don't think there's a forum here for people making a living on their bikes. And that seems strange, really, considering how bike couriers are supposed to be part of the single speed cachet.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 04-05-21, 07:23 PM
DiegoFrogs

Bikes: '77 Centurion "Pro Tour"; '67 Carlton "The Flyer"; 1984 Ross MTB (stored at parents' house)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
I'd be surprised, for tax purposes, if this was kosher.

Perhaps if you're an EU citizen traveling within the EU it could be easier. I remember that even with permanent residence within an EU country, I still required full sponsorship/visa/permit in order to work in other EU countries, even the one I could see from the windows of my home where it would've been an easy commute by boat.

Ultimately, I returned to the USA after finding acceptable work here when I lost my job there.
Old 04-07-21, 08:12 PM
Kat12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked 379 Times in 279 Posts
I would think it would depend on many things. The immigration and tax rules in the country you are in. Whether you might have a language barrier issue if you ever need to call someone for help finding their address. How you would adjust the app to reflect your location in each new place (and whether, if this happened quickly enough, some algorithm might think it's some sort of fraud or identity theft). How the people who live in the country feel about you infringing on work they could be doing (inc. the restaurants you would be picking up at). Etc.