Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tire rotational direction.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Tire rotational direction.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-21, 11:25 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4337 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Right. I read somewhere that Continental puts directional arrows on their road tires only to satisfy customer demand, not because they're any good at all.
OK, expanding this question some - if a tire brand had rotational arrows pointing one way, but when you mount it that way the label is on the NDS of the bike... ie you have conflicting indications... which way do you mount it?
Old 04-22-21, 11:29 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by diabloscott
ok, expanding this question some - if a tire brand had rotational arrows pointing one way, but when you mount it that way the label is on the nds of the bike... Ie you have conflicting indications... Which way do you mount it?
>>>> ------ <<<<
Old 04-22-21, 11:29 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 690 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
OK, expanding this question some - if a tire brand had rotational arrows pointing one way, but when you mount it that way the label is on the NDS of the bike... ie you have conflicting indications... which way do you mount it?
Yes.
Old 04-23-21, 08:53 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
I reverse road tires deliberately to even out uneven wear caused by road crowning, but did recently correct a new tire I put on the "wrong" way, just because mistakes bother me. Like to maintain competence as I age...
Old 04-23-21, 05:57 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 337 Posts
Bontrager is reportedly making a directional high-performance road tire. It has no discernible tread, but it's supposed to roll faster if the direction of the weave is aligned correctly. No kidding.