Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

First clipless ride, sore feat?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-06, 11:29 PM
wizzman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I went for a short 20 minute ride on my new Trek 1500 (No daylight left here after 5pm). This was my first real ride with my new clipless setup (speedplay X2 and Specialized pro carbon shoes). It is pretty amazing feelingn so connected to the bike. I was most concered with my rear end being sore on the new bike but that was fine. What bugged me when I got off the bike was the outsides of my feet were a tad sore. Couple things crossed my mind. Shoes are brand new, do they break in at all? I have significantly bowed legs, and my feet tend to roll to the outsides. Maybe this is causing more pressure on the outsides of my feet? Any thoughts?
Old 01-20-06, 11:34 PM
pcwace
NW Cyclist (aka swimmer)

Bikes: 2006 Trek 1500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Could be the float action on your speedplays? Your riding a new bike, new shoes, first time with speedplays... probably not totally unexpected. How did you like your 1500?
Old 01-20-06, 11:44 PM
jimblairo

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate 2006, Litespeed Pisgah , Specialized Roubaix 2008, Trek Madone 2011

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The LBS may be able to help you. The Speedplays come with shims and they might also recommend a set of gel insoles.
Old 01-20-06, 11:44 PM
wizzman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is awesome! I am a mountain bike guy. Bike is so light and accelerates so effortlessly. I still have to think about the shifting with the new shifting style. Getting used to the clipless setup wasn't too bad, no close calls or anything yet I love feeling so connected to the bike. I prob won't get another chance to ride it for awhile. Today was unseasonably warm. Will go back down to 20s and 30s by Sunday. I can't wait for some warmer weather.
Old 01-21-06, 12:07 AM
pcwace
NW Cyclist (aka swimmer)

Bikes: 2006 Trek 1500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hear you there. I live in the very rainy Pacific Northwest.. it hasn't been real cold, but 30+ straight days of rain is beginning to get to me.

I've pretty much figured out what I'm getting... about the same setup you have (narrowed the shoes down to a set of SIDI 5's or the Specialized Pro Carbons, with the Speedplay Stainless Zeros), so it's nice to hear how your bike is working out for you.
Old 01-21-06, 12:54 AM
thebankman
Stooge

Bikes: one of each

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your problem, I share it...my first pair of clipless shoes and pedals have given me pain in the outer sides of my feet (the sides facing away from the bike). My socks are usually pretty thick wool, apparently thinner socks such as Coolmax brand may help to alleviate soreness. Also, the cleat may need to be repositioned directly beneath the ball of the foot. Insoles are recommended if pain occurs (from my docter)
Old 01-21-06, 01:38 AM
khuon
DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
As others have mentioned, you may need to reposition your cleats as Speedplays generally have very narrow tread widths since most performance cyclists prefer that. If you can't get your cleats positioned so that your legs are far enough apart to relieve the soreness, you might want to look into pedal extenders. Here's one made by Kneesaver.

Old 01-21-06, 09:39 PM
onRoffR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had problems with a pair of specialized shoes. they were my mountainbike shoes and it started as foot pain after about 3 months it became foot and knee pain. I didn't read the box literature very well and it turns out the body geomerty is actually corrective footwear. the problem is I always had a very stable pedal stoke no joint pronation so the varus wedge was actually doing more harm that good. Its too bad I had to get rid of these shoes they felt great,fit wise,and a good value for the money but its taken about 2 months of riding with normal shoes, not gearing as high and ice after rides to rehabilitate my knees. now I have no problems. the varus wedge of the Body Geometry shoe puts a slight slant outward to correct for inward joint pronation. I tried using moldable insoles to compensate for the varus wedge it helped a little. but not until I changed shoes did it go away. I wish specialized made these shoes in both body geometry and normal soles they were really well made shoes. I guess I'm just very sensitive to foot position.
Old 01-22-06, 10:18 AM
JJakucyk

Bikes: Trek 7100 Hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wouldn't rush into anything. When I first got clipless pedals, my feet hurt quite a bit after the first several rides. I started monkeying with the cleat position, and couldn't seem to find a spot that was "just right." Once I finally settled into it, and my feet no longer hurt, I realized that my cleats had ended up right where they were in the beginning. I could tell because of the "bite marks" the cleat made in the sole of the shoe. The lesson is that some discomfort is to be expected with new shoes, and it's compounded when they're your first clipless shoes. Give it a little time, and I'll bet the pain goes away on its own. If not, then you can start looking for adjustments to make.
Old 01-22-06, 11:27 AM
Litespeed35
I go both ways

Bikes: Road Bikes: 2002 Litespeed Tuscany; 1996 Prototype Aluminum / MTB: 2005 SC Superlight, 1994 Trek 970

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thebankman
Also, the cleat may need to be repositioned directly beneath the ball of the foot. Insoles are recommended if pain occurs (from my docter)
+1

Although any new shoes / pedals may take a lil' getting used to, cleat position on the foot can make a HUGE difference. Mine have to be exactly under the ball of my foot or they hurt after a while, and I've been riding clipless for years.

I too think your cleats are not far enough to the outside of the shoe, try moving the cleat out. Also, if the pain is on the outside but behind the ball of your foot, good chance the cleat is too far forward (towards your toes) on the shoe.

Good advice reLBS help.

Good luck!
Old 01-22-06, 04:01 PM
BianchiKid
Time to ride yet?

Bikes: It's a constantly evolving stable.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hopefully the shoes will break in. As said before, try thinner socks if your shoes feel tight. They should stretch and soften a little over time. And remember to "pedal in circles". It's a push/pull thing...not push/push. When I start to feel a hotspot coming on, it let's me know my form is slacking because I'm putting too much pressure pushing the pedal. Hotspots go away when I get back to peadling in a circle.

Last edited by BianchiKid; 01-22-06 at 04:52 PM.
Old 01-22-06, 04:11 PM
Portis
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Having foot pain with new clipless pedals sounds perfectly normal. I rember that i had some. Like everything, you have to get used to them. I can't believe people are giving you advice on things to change. Ride them for awhile. YOu will get used to them.
Old 01-22-06, 04:29 PM
scot
Going once, going twice..

Bikes: Trek Domane

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Pay attention to how you are pressing on your feet. I find that I push "out" rather than down at times, and it will cause a similar pain to what you are describing. It's just a mental change of pushing down only.
Old 01-22-06, 09:18 PM
Bontrager

Bikes: Road, MTB, Folding, Commuting bikes...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You stated you have significantly bowed legs. Your feet are probably in a more supinated position for a longer time during the pedal cycle. Not to mention your hip-knee-ankle-subtalar-midtarsal joint alignment probably isn't optimal for having your feet anchored to the pedals. I'd see if I could find a podiatrist or orthopedist that specializes in sports medicine. Maybe ask in your rider group. If you're lucky s/he has probably been riding behind you salivating at your excessive tibial varum.

I could probalby fix your bowed legs with a simple tibial osteotomy and external fixator. You wouldn't be riding for a while but the upside to it is most of the parts I use are made of titanium and carbon fiber so that could earn you a lot of OCP points

*disclaimer - I'm a doctor but not your doctor. Don't go on anything I said.
Old 01-22-06, 11:29 PM
djtrackie
wannabe cycling nerd

Bikes: Giant TCR Comp 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
here is some simple reasoning, maybe the shoe was on too tight? You'r feet swell up during the ride, so it's not unusual to have to loosen the velco after a couple of miles.
Old 01-23-06, 12:09 PM
Paul W.

Bikes: Bianchi Sport SX, Trek 1200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by djtrackie
here is some simple reasoning, maybe the shoe was on too tight? You'r feet swell up during the ride, so it's not unusual to have to loosen the velco after a couple of miles.
Yup, that has happened to me. Whenever I pull the velcro straps too tight, my the outside of my feet hurt at the end of the ride. Try putting the shoes on just a little less tightly first.