Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

New Saddle: Selle Italian SL Flow

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-15, 01:32 PM
Bbarry9999

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm looking at a new saddle, the Selle Italian SL Flow. Anybody have any experience with it?

I ride a Diamondback Hybrid Trace Sport. I've been riding about one year and did my 1st Century last year, and plan to do two this year. I'm currently using the seat that came with the bike, but I get some numbness in the groin and toes. Nothing painful, just annoying. The numbness in the toes tends to last longer.

Seat height, position and shoes are ok. Need to check into the position of the cleats.

Thanks for the comments.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (80.8 KB, 17 views)
Old 03-17-15, 02:05 PM
Fly2High

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Secteur Sport

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I know it is a popular model but each butt is different. you will not get much better advice other than you have to try it to determine if you like it and it works for you.

Many LBS offer to let you borrow a test saddle so that would be the best route before you take the plunge and buy it. For me, I am enjoying the Fizik Antares which I think is similarly shaped and it is working very well.

Best of luck with the saddles.

frank
Old 03-17-15, 03:35 PM
Chitown_Mike
That guy from the Chi

Bikes: 88 Trek 800 - gone to new cheeks; '14 Trek 1.2 - aka The X1 Advanced; '13 Trek 3500 Disc

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I bought it and love it! I got it last year and it was a 2013 model. Really comfy and haven't chaffed since installing it. Make sure you are using good shorts, I tried a few short commutes to work in regular shorts and paid for it. I only wear a padded short and maybe tights over that if it is cold out.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
0217151206a.jpg (49.1 KB, 5 views)
Old 03-17-15, 03:44 PM
LGHT

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL3, Nishiki Pro Hybrid SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I got the same one in white with red trim for around $22 shipped and love it. This shop must have hundreds of them because they always seem to have at least 1 auction running at all times. 2013 Selle Italia SL Manganese Rail Flow Road Bike Saddle White Red Seat New | eBay

They also have other colors if you're looking for a black one.

At that price I figured it was worth the risk and fits great. However I did have some discomfort until I got a bike fit (included sit bone measurement) after I got the seat, turns out it was just a hair to high so I would consider getting at least your sit bones measured if you don't get a full fit.
Old 03-17-15, 06:39 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
At $22 you can certainly afford to take a shot at it. I went to the Selle Italia dealer near me and did their whole fitting process and they recommended an L3 saddle for me, and I inadvertently ordered the world's most expensive saddle (SLR Superflow L or something along those lines). I love it though, so it was a fleeting regret.

I previously had a Specialized Romin Evo Pro that was 95% as comfortable and I tried a selection of other saddles along the way. Some let you know IMMEDIATELY that they're wrong for you, and others are good for a couple hours.

Numbness would be a problem... don't ignore it. Find a shop that has a saddle demo program and try a few different ones out (if that saddle doesn't do it for you). Fizik and Specialized both have loaner programs and Selle Italia has a satisfaction guaranteed program with theirs (and Performance has a pretty generous return policy too for that matter)