Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Oh My, I Got Bent Today!

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Oh My, I Got Bent Today!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-12, 10:10 AM
AerobaticDreams

Bikes: 2009 Bianchi Roadie,1977 Columbia Roadie, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek 830, Centurion LeMans, Rans V-Rex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Small Update- Have been searching for a fork that allows for Canti brakes and a threadless headset with no luck at all. Found current front wheel is a 406. So for now at least, I have ordered a set of the Tektro brakes as suggested above. Off to the welding shop to fab a new lower idler wheel mounting tab hopefully tomorrow. If all goes well I will touch-up the paint for now and move on to ordering the listed handlebar stuff, leaving the bike as a threaded headset for now. Want to ride it instead of work on it...!
Old 11-20-12, 09:42 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 456 Posts
Originally Posted by AerobaticDreams
Small Update- Have been searching for a fork that allows for Canti brakes and a threadless headset with no luck at all. Found current front wheel is a 406. So for now at least, I have ordered a set of the Tektro brakes as suggested above. Off to the welding shop to fab a new lower idler wheel mounting tab hopefully tomorrow. If all goes well I will touch-up the paint for now and move on to ordering the listed handlebar stuff, leaving the bike as a threaded headset for now. Want to ride it instead of work on it...!
Hostelshoppe sells an aluminum Volae fork for 406, which accepts either canti or disc. 1" steerer, threadless. Sort of matches the V-Rex, since it has a "V" near the crown.
https://www.hostelshoppe.com/cgi-bin/...ory=1229623887

Better, (I dislike forks with both canti studs AND disc brake plates,) and less expensive, too, is this one from Power On Cycling:
https://poweroncycling.com/product/po...6-fork-806.htm

I've dealt with both in the past, both are reliable.
Old 03-20-13, 07:11 PM
AerobaticDreams

Bikes: 2009 Bianchi Roadie,1977 Columbia Roadie, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek 830, Centurion LeMans, Rans V-Rex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Here's a parts list from Hostelshoppe.com, one of each:

88313 - Stem adapter, threaded to threadless, 1" - $20.00
85283 - Glide-flex stem 1" to 1" - Check w/Hostelshoppe to verify that the top-load stem below is 1" ID. - $115.00
81579 - RANS B27 top-load stem - $43.00
81547 - Riser clamp - $8.00
81580 - RANS B-26 handlebars.
OK- It's been too long trying to get at this bicycle as a project, but life has really, really gotten in the way of rebuilding it. I have managed to get the idler wheel bracket welded up and strengthened from how it was originaly designed. I ordered this fork set to go into the project tonight- from Power On Cycling:
https://poweroncycling.com/product/po...6-fork-806.htm

That leads to a question about the parts list in the qoute section above: Do I still need all of these items, since the fork is going to be threadless? Also, the Glideflex stem- will it work with the fork? Finally, is the Riser clamp going to be the correct size to work with the 1" threadless stem and the listed top-load stem?

Planning to tear down the whole bike and repaint the frame at this point, as I have a number of other current bikes to keep me riding. Want to get this together over the next month or so and start getting used to it. Thanks for the advice/ direction so far!
Old 03-21-13, 12:00 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

You won't need the threaded to threadless adapter, but you'll need a new 1" threadless headset. And it would be best to call Hostelshoppe rather than submit a web order; that way you can verify which Glide-Flex you will need for that RANS riser. You have a 1" steerer on the fork, but I don't know for sure what the ID is on the riser; and that'll make a difference as to which Glideflex you get. Just tell them you have a 1" threadless fork, you want the 81579 stem, and a Glideflex to go in between.

On another note, the old V-Rex used 700c/451 wheels, but your bike was obviously converted to a 406 front. The prior owner probably did it because 406 tires are easier to find. But the smaller tires increased the steering angle, which will make the bike more 'nervous.' Later V-Rexii used 406/559; so to complete the conversion you really should have a 26" rear.
Old 03-25-13, 07:11 AM
AerobaticDreams

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
You won't need the threaded to threadless adapter, but you'll need a new 1" threadless headset. And it would be best to call Hostelshoppe rather than submit a web order; that way you can verify which Glide-Flex you will need for that RANS riser. You have a 1" steerer on the fork, but I don't know for sure what the ID is on the riser; and that'll make a difference as to which Glideflex you get. Just tell them you have a 1" threadless fork, you want the 81579 stem, and a Glideflex to go in between.

On another note, the old V-Rex used 700c/451 wheels, but your bike was obviously converted to a 406 front. The prior owner probably did it because 406 tires are easier to find. But the smaller tires increased the steering angle, which will make the bike more 'nervous.' Later V-Rexii used 406/559; so to complete the conversion you really should have a 26" rear.
Thanks for the follow-up. I have called and ordered the basic parts and they are on their way. Skipped cables and small stuff for now, until I get the overall chassis parts together. Guess I'll probably pull it apart and prep/ paint the frame soon since I am going to all the trouble to get it right. Now if I could just oder a couple of weeks of spare time on-line somewhere.
Old 03-25-13, 08:31 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Now if I could just oder a couple of weeks of spare time on-line somewhere.

My understanding is that (according to your profession) a well placed poor taste post on your social network of choice can result in some quality time off....
Old 03-25-13, 09:00 PM
AerobaticDreams

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by punkncat
My understanding is that (according to your profession) a well placed poor taste post on your social network of choice can result in some quality time off....
Hahahaha! Ever since the economy destroyed my small business, I have been "Retired"...meaning I would never go back into that business again- and haven't found anything new yet. I can't believe how I have seemingly MORE to do on a daily basis than when I am actually working....
Old 04-06-14, 04:59 PM
AerobaticDreams

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Zombie Thread Back From The Dead...

I am picking up this older thread to catalog the completion of the actual rebuild of this bike. Its taken a while, since I got involved with a new group of friends and building something else instead:

I took the advice of the forum and got a new aluminum fork and the proper handlebars. They seem to weigh a third as much as the weird set up that was on the bike. The frame went to the powdercoater to get redone; and they had an equipment failure that put them 3 weeks behind. Just got the frame back and am collecting all the removed parts from a year ago...

Attached Images
Old 04-06-14, 07:18 PM
BlazingPedals

Good choice on the color!
Old 04-08-14, 10:22 PM
Recumbomatic

Bikes: 2005 Performer Toscana, RANS V3 steel, RANS Citi, Kona Hoo-Ha

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That leads to a question about the parts list in the qoute section above: Do I still need all of these items, since the fork is going to be threadless? Also, the Glideflex stem- will it work with the fork? Finally, is the Riser clamp going to be the correct size to work with the 1" threadless stem and the listed top-load stem?
You don't necessarily need a Glideflex. You can put a riser directly over the fork steerer tube above the headset and clamp it. But you may (or not) need a way to compress the headset bearings also.

RISER FOR TOP-LOAD STEM, SWB FLIP-IT STYLE SHORT

Note that it says "Size: 1" ID". You can add some spacers above the headset if you need more height for the bars to clear your knees.

Glad to see your project is coming along.
Old 04-19-14, 09:59 AM
AerobaticDreams

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Small update: Bike is back in one piece except for new headset install. When I got it the unit was an old threaded unit, and it is going to be a threadless one now. Since I don't have some of the tools, it s going to my LBS for it to be set up and have all new cables put on while there. Depending on their work load, I may be able to ride it in a week.....

Small update: Rear derailleur is trashed and being replaced. Upgrading to a better quality bottom bracket while there also. Might be replacing one of the wheels to match the set up sizing wise better.....

Last edited by AerobaticDreams; 04-19-14 at 09:30 PM.
Old 04-23-14, 07:51 PM
AerobaticDreams

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Progress!

I had to drop by the LBS today, and checked in on the 'Bent rebuild. A number of parts came in today, with a front wheel still outstanding for now. 80% of the bike is back together.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Bent Rebuild (800x567).jpg (66.0 KB, 35 views)
Old 05-15-14, 05:06 PM
AerobaticDreams

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Finally home and ready to ride.....now there have been nasty lightening storms all day! Maybe tomorrow....

New bottom bracket (much higher quality than worn out Shimano that was in it...and about 1/3 the weight), new derailleurs, new front fork and brake and of course...all the new steering parts, including a conversion to a thread-less headset.

Question: Anybody got links for seat bags and a method for mounting water bottles onto this bike**********? What does everybody else use....?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Rebuilt Rans.jpg (74.3 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by AerobaticDreams; 05-15-14 at 05:20 PM.
Old 05-15-14, 09:38 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
Finally home and ready to ride.....now there have been nasty lightening storms all day! Maybe tomorrow....

New bottom bracket (much higher quality than worn out Shimano that was in it...and about 1/3 the weight), new derailleurs, new front fork and brake and of course...all the new steering parts, including a conversion to a thread-less headset.

Question: Anybody got links for seat bags and a method for mounting water bottles onto this bike**********? What does everybody else use....?
Re: Water bottles. Later models had water bottle mounting bosses built in to the back of the seatback rails - one set on each side. If there, they are covered by the seat fabric so you'll have to cut/burn a small hole in the fabric for access. If not there, your LBS may be able to add them.
Old 05-15-14, 09:45 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 182 Posts
Too bad you didn't have water bottle cage bosses put on before you painted it. You could have added them right in front of the headset where they are on my Haluzak Horizon. It it too late now. You might ask your question on Bentrider BentRider Online Forums - Powered by vBulletin. There has got to be someone over there who owns one of these and has solved the problem for themselves.
Old 05-16-14, 07:41 AM
BlazingPedals

What downtube42 said about the bottle bosses. They should be on the seat frame, about hip level. Later V-Rexii had the bosses down lower, on the curve of the frame which, although easier to reach, were uglier and less aero. (IMHO.) Owners were expected to melt a hole in the fabric using a soldering iron; that way the hole wouldn't fray.

For trunks, I have an Angletech Trunk. Angletech and RANS are both good sources. Some people swear by the aero-shaped bags. If you get a big enough bag, you can put a hydration pack in it and run the tube out the top; that way you don't need bottle cages.
Old 05-16-14, 09:47 AM
AerobaticDreams

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info about cage bosses on the seat frame, I looked and found mine has them. The links to bags look good also. Hope to pick up a couple of cages at the LBS today and get them on by tonight. Still no chance to ride it yet....
Old 05-16-14, 08:12 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Seat bag from Lone Peak that works well on a RANS seatback: RB-100 - Recumbent Bags
Old 05-23-14, 03:18 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
Seat bag from Lone Peak that works well on a RANS seatback: RB-100 - Recumbent Bags
I use a similar (Volae) bag, and put a camelback in it. 2 birds, one stone.....
Old 06-02-14, 03:45 PM
AerobaticDreams

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok....final update to this thread: I am now officially a Bent Rider. Got the bike home some time ago, but had a major issue with doctor prescribed medications screwing up my blood sugar levels and have been in bed for a couple of weeks....

I did take it out for a few minutes the day it came home and found it to be very twitchy and scary to ride. But it was no more scary than when I first stepped up to a quality road bike from a 27 year old version. Rain, weather and health have kept me off of it until today. I put on my helmet and gloves and went to figure the beast out. Our road is 3/10 of a mile long and there is never any traffic on it. Except today. Of course.

My elderly neighbor almost ran over me from behind and then asked what was wrong with my bike. Then some guy who made a wrong turn blazed past me at close quarters. Then a pickup truck came through....it was all of a sudden like the Daytona 500! But I kept practicing starting, stopping and just riding and I am 70% improved. I now understand what "Bent Legs" are, because I don't have them. I don't think I can get them on eBay either. I now look forward to riding this new creature, and my back doesn't hurt at all so far. The Prime Directive seems to have been achieved. I figure to ride it a short time each day, increasing the length of time each day; while still riding my other bike to keep my exercise program going until I can rotate this in as my main bicycle. I look forward to being used to it so I can start going on club rides and cycling events in the area!

Thank you to everybody who answered my stupid questions in this thread. Thanks to my buddies at Adventure Cycling in Winter Springs- they don't sell Bents (yet) for working out the kinks and making this ride smooth as butter. Thanks to my wife for not being upset at yet another broken piece of junk I have drug home to fix.

I'll start other stupid threads for the next questions I stumble on to. To anybody reading this years from now....just get a Bent and get started!
Old 06-03-14, 11:45 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Welcome to the dark side.