Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Compatibility for BR-A350 Brake Pads

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-14, 10:27 PM
wagonfanatic

Bikes: 2018 Salsa Mukluk, 85 Faggin, Brompton 6, 04 Lemond Wayzata (Poprad Clone), '97 Novara Randonee (DD/ touring workhorse)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I have an old Centurion Accordo with the original brakes on them. They are BR-A350. I need new pads, but don't want to get whole new brakes (as my local shop is recommending).

Which Shimano pads are compatible? Any recommendations on a good shop/ place with cheap shipping?

Thanks
Old 09-08-14, 10:33 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
IIRC the A350 is a single pivot side pull brake that uses the very common (almost "classic") bolt on pads (using a 6mm bolt or stud and nut). If so then any brake pad/shoe unit with a long enough bolt/stud and nut should fit. There might be a difference in the thickness from the pad's surface to where the caliper arm's inner surface will contact the shoe. Sometimes a simple washer between them can space out the thinner pad. Sometimes grinding down the pad's thickness is needed to get clearance for the rim. Boston has many LBS's all over the place that would be happy to sell you a new set of pads. take the caliper and old pads into the one of your choice and ask for help. In only a couple of minutes they will have offered you a few choices that one of might fit very well. Andy.
Old 09-09-14, 08:16 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
I would buy Kool Stop pads if it were my bike, they make a wide variety of types for all kinds of brakes. Andy's suggestion is sound and maybe you should seek out another LBS, who might be more interested in solving your problem rather than upselling unneeded parts.
Old 09-09-14, 11:19 AM
wagonfanatic

Bikes: 2018 Salsa Mukluk, 85 Faggin, Brompton 6, 04 Lemond Wayzata (Poprad Clone), '97 Novara Randonee (DD/ touring workhorse)

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Excellent. Both of these are helpful-- thanks.