Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How to remove Rust from a Surly Traveler's Check Frame AND How much is it worth?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How to remove Rust from a Surly Traveler's Check Frame AND How much is it worth?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-15, 04:33 PM
wagonfanatic

Bikes: 2018 Salsa Mukluk, 85 Faggin, Brompton 6, 04 Lemond Wayzata (Poprad Clone), '97 Novara Randonee (DD/ touring workhorse)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I've been given the opportunity to buy a 2008 Surly Traveler's Check bike frame. I have wanted one of these bikes for quite some time, and have also been looking for a build project, so this seems like the perfect opportunity.

The main issue is that, as the photos show, there appears to be some rust on the underside of the bottom bracket. Is rust in a place like this generally hard to remove and rehab? I really want to ensure the frame will retain its integrity (especially with the SS couplers) and last at least another decade.

Also, how much would people suppose a very used but in theory solid frame like this be worth? New these frames are about $1000. Obviously being so used and having rust really takes down the value-- but if it can be salvaged its still a Traveler's Check frame with (hopefully) plenty of life left. How much would you pay?

The seller wants $350 (with a fork) -- I think thats too much. I was thinking more like $200-$250 MAX. Thoughts?

Thanks --

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2111.jpg (95.0 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by wagonfanatic; 08-26-15 at 03:12 AM.
Old 08-25-15, 05:50 PM
wagonfanatic

Bikes: 2018 Salsa Mukluk, 85 Faggin, Brompton 6, 04 Lemond Wayzata (Poprad Clone), '97 Novara Randonee (DD/ touring workhorse)

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Here are two other close up photos...

Like I said, any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Images
IMG_2147.jpg (91.1 KB, 36 views)
IMG_2146.jpg (91.3 KB, 35 views)
Old 08-25-15, 09:17 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
I clean with soap and water or mineral spirits and a brush. Dry. Then I use something called EvapoRust. Make sure the whole part is in the Evaporust bath. Soak for a couple of hours, and a tootbrush will knock off any remaining detritus.

Another approach is to immerse the part (or frame) in a bath of washing soda (sodium carbonate) and hooking up an electrode to one lead of a battery charger and the part to the other. Google electrolytic rust removal.
Old 08-26-15, 12:27 AM
wagonfanatic

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Okay, interesting-- thats quite helpful.

I suppose my main concern is making sure the rest is not so deep-- so structural-- as to threaten to integrity and longevity of the frame. My father in-law suggested that when probing the rust, I should use a screwdriver to chip away to see what I'm dealing with. The problem is that this hardly seems acceptable behavior when just reviewing a bike frame to purchase!

Are there other suggestions for gauging the extent of the rust and the seriousness of the problem? I'm very interested in the frame if its only surface level and shallow rust.
Old 08-26-15, 07:39 AM
ShortLegCyclist

Bikes: Many bikes in three states and two countries, mainly riding Moots Vamoots, Lynskey R265 disc and a Spot Denver Zephyr nowadays

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wagonfanatic
Okay, interesting-- thats quite helpful.

I suppose my main concern is making sure the rest is not so deep-- so structural-- as to threaten to integrity and longevity of the frame. My father in-law suggested that when probing the rust, I should use a screwdriver to chip away to see what I'm dealing with. The problem is that this hardly seems acceptable behavior when just reviewing a bike frame to purchase!

Are there other suggestions for gauging the extent of the rust and the seriousness of the problem? I'm very interested in the frame if its only surface level and shallow rust.
Honestly, I would contact Surly and include the serial number of the frame.

That frame looks to have been stripped of paint and it's hard to imagine why a legit owner/seller would do that.

The paint/powder coat is the main form of rust protection on Surly frames.

The Traveler's Check frame is S and S coupled so you should be able to get a good look at the inside of the top and down tubes by uncoupling the couplers. There's no easier frame to FrameSaver than an S and S coupled frame and if that frame has external rust it most likely has even worse internal rust if it hasn't been properly FrameSavered at least once a year depending on the climate.
Old 08-26-15, 07:48 AM
jfowler85

Bikes: '93 911 Turbo 3.6

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with shortleg. It kind of looks like my first attempt at brush painting with rustoleum. I would not touch that frame for anything over $50 and only because I 1) have stripped and refinished steel frames before and 2) have all the equipment to do it.