Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What chain for vintage Gitane Mixte 10 sp?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-21, 04:55 PM
sortieavelo

Bikes: A-D Superleicht; Colnago CX-1; Cervélo Soloist; 1985 Trek 460; 1973 Crescent Pepita 320.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

Mates,

i have a ‘70s Gitane Mixte, old Simplex derailleur. 10 speed.

needs new chain. What chain would you recommend? Brand, size. Would any 10 speed chain work? Schwinn, KMC?

cheers!
Old 03-25-21, 05:10 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
10 speed chain is for a bike with 10 cogs in back.
Get a chain for the proper number of cogs.
Since 5 is somewhat obsolete, you may have to use a "generic" 6-8 speed chain.
Read the package.
Old 03-25-21, 05:19 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Somewhere way back when we quit multiplying the number of cogs on the rear to the number of chainwheels on the front to come up with "speeds" for a bike. Now we just refer to the number of cogs on the back.

So yeah, unless your vintage bike was some future concept thing with 10 cogs on the rear, then just get a 6-8 speed chain.
Old 03-25-21, 05:20 PM
headwind15
Bikeable

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 73 Posts
A basic KMC Z 50 or 51 will be fine.
Old 03-25-21, 06:00 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
This might open a whole can of French threaded worms. If the original chain was well worn then the cogs on the freewheel might also have worn at the same rate and your new chain might skip under pedaling load, requiring you to also replace the freewheel. Older French bikes generally had French threads (bottom bracket and rear hub) and sizing (stems). You might be about to vanish down the lapin (French for "rabbit") hole. Good luck!

P.S. I recently found one in a dumpster.
Old 03-25-21, 06:23 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
A generic 6-8spd chain will work if you have 5 gears (cogs) in the rear. If you need a 5 spd freewheel, they're very inexpensive---if you have a std threaded hub. But then, 27" wheels set up for freewheels are pretty common on the used market and you can always swap out, but this is the rabbit hole that was mentioned in a prior post. Once you jump in there's no end in sight. Good luck
Old 03-25-21, 07:19 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
All the OP wanted to know was what chain to buy.
Wait until they say they want to upgrade before discouraging them.
OP- Don't upgrade. it's a can o' worms with French stuff.
Old 03-26-21, 05:54 AM
sortieavelo

Bikes: A-D Superleicht; Colnago CX-1; Cervélo Soloist; 1985 Trek 460; 1973 Crescent Pepita 320.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Got it. Thank you.

I need a 5 sp chain as it has 5 cogs in back (teeth are in good shape, so no need to replace that).

Cheers!
Old 03-26-21, 05:55 AM
sortieavelo

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thank you! I cleaned up wheels/regreased, new bearings, freewheel is in good shape. Just need a chain that is meant for 5 cogs.

Cheers!
Old 03-26-21, 06:57 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
This might open a whole can of French threaded worms. If the original chain was well worn then the cogs on the freewheel might also have worn at the same rate and your new chain might skip under pedaling load, requiring you to also replace the freewheel. Older French bikes generally had French threads (bottom bracket and rear hub) and sizing (stems). You might be about to vanish down the lapin (French for "rabbit") hole. Good luck!
Honestly, rather than replace a French thread freewheel on something like that, it's probably cheaper and easier to go to the co-op and buy a used wheel with English thread, probably with a freewheel included.
Old 03-26-21, 08:40 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Originally Posted by sortieavelo
Got it. Thank you.

I need a 5 sp chain as it has 5 cogs in back (teeth are in good shape, so no need to replace that).

Cheers!
You didn't listen!.... You probably won't see anything advertised as five speed. So use the ones that are advertised as 6, 7 or 8 speed. 5 speed is just tech from days too far gone. Your five speed has gone the way of the penny-farthing. <grin>

But if you do happen to find one that says 5 speed, then that is okay too.
Old 03-26-21, 09:04 AM
Juan el Boricua

Bikes: 1980's Royce Union "fixed wheel", 1995 Trek 370, 406 -wheeled " shopper/minivelo"for running errands, SS Raleigh M60

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 46 Posts

P.S. I recently found one in a dumpster.
Off topic; what van is that, that has such a large and roomy interior, Sir!?!?
Old 03-26-21, 10:22 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts
Originally Posted by sortieavelo
Thank you! I cleaned up wheels/regreased, new bearings, freewheel is in good shape. Just need a chain that is meant for 5 cogs.
6 speed freewheels use the same chain that is used for 5 speed freewheels. Any chain rated to work on a 6 speed freewheel(most will be designed for 7 or 8 speeds as well) will work on your 5 speed freewheel
Old 03-26-21, 10:29 AM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts
Don't think of it as a rabbit hole. Consider it a portal to the beautiful alternate universe of Vintage bicycles. The local bike co op is your friend here. You might also check out this post for what to do after you get a new chain.https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...0-6-speed.html.

And if all else fails , just gift the bike to someone on this list. I guarantee it will have a new life with one of our members.
Likes For capnjonny:
Old 03-26-21, 11:05 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Originally Posted by Juan el Boricua
Off topic; what van is that, that has such a large and roomy interior, Sir!?!?
The van is an '87 VW Vanagon (Transporter in the rest of the world) Westfalia camper. It's a little taller than most minivan/MPVs on the road but the camper interior takes up much of the space inside. The non-camper versions are more spacious but still suffer the same interior problem posed by a rear engine, the high liftover at the rear hatch and the raised deck above the engine. But it's fun and it's quaint, aannnnd... it's C&V.

Here it is loaded for a weekend camping and riding trip to the C&O Canal Towpath along the Potomac River west of Washington D.C.
Old 03-26-21, 11:14 AM
Juan el Boricua

Bikes: 1980's Royce Union "fixed wheel", 1995 Trek 370, 406 -wheeled " shopper/minivelo"for running errands, SS Raleigh M60

The van is an '87 VW Vanagon (Transporter in the rest of the world) Westfalia camper. It's a little taller than most minivan/MPVs on the road but the camper interior takes up much of the space inside. The non-camper versions are more spacious but still suffer the same interior problem posed by a rear engine, the high liftover at the rear hatch and the raised deck above the engine. But it's fun and it's quaint, aannnnd... it's C&V.

Here it is loaded for a weekend camping and riding trip to the C&O Canal Towpath along the Potomac River west of Washington D.C.
thank you Sir, for the info. Love it, as I find more than a C&V, but more like a swiss army knife of the auto world; compact, useful, classy, practical (it can "swallow" lots of stuff, as you're already aware), economical, relatively easy to maintain, not very expensive (this, compared to a Unimog!); equally adept in the city as in the woods, at a formal event or a camp out..what's not to love! Kudos to you, for keeping it so nice; hope you can enjoy it for many years to come! one more thing if you do not mind, is it also a Synchro!?!?
Old 03-26-21, 12:38 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 338 Posts
SRAM PC850. Nearly every shop has some. Just a widely available 8-speed chain.
Old 03-26-21, 12:44 PM
Kovkov

Bikes: 1957 Alpa Special, 1963 Condor Delta, 1967 Tigra Sprint, 1977 Oltenia, 1987 Mondia, 1965 Staco de luxe, 1969 Amberg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 43 Posts
Or a Shimano CN HG 40. I use it on 2 bikes with a 5 cog freewheel.
Old 03-27-21, 12:32 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Originally Posted by Juan el Boricua
thank you Sir, for the info. Love it, as I find more than a C&V, but more like a swiss army knife of the auto world; compact, useful, classy, practical (it can "swallow" lots of stuff, as you're already aware), economical, relatively easy to maintain, not very expensive (this, compared to a Unimog!); equally adept in the city as in the woods, at a formal event or a camp out..what's not to love! Kudos to you, for keeping it so nice; hope you can enjoy it for many years to come! one more thing if you do not mind, is it also a Synchro!?!?
Alas, not a Syncro (no "H" in Volkswagen's spelling of the name), but a humble 2WD. Love to have a Syncro but don't need one and the cost to buy in and maintain one can be excessive. This one will do for us. More than once I have called it my Swiss Army House.
Old 03-27-21, 12:44 PM
Juan el Boricua

Thanks for the info. and yes, a 2WD is ok too (price and mechanical maintenance wise too!).
Old 04-03-21, 06:39 PM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts
I was just re reading this thread. Guess what. Someone just brought a 70's Gitane Mixte to the shop that they found next to a dumpster. I am cleaning it up and should have it finished tomorrow. I will post some pics here for everyone to drool over. Vintage mixtes are sexy. This girl is cleaning up pretty well .

Watch this space.