Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

I need to get better on the hills

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

I need to get better on the hills

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-23, 09:02 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
What is the Alp du Zwift?
There are several videos. They seem to be a perennial favorite of the GCN. Here is one:

The gist is the Alp Du Huez is a real place. The video game creators took real data, & recreated it for the simulator.

You need a Wahoo Kicker, a TacX Neo, A Saris H3, or some other interactive smart trainer to click your bike in to. What you are after here is interactivity...for the game world to translate to real life effort. The better smart trainers replace the bikes rear wheel. You will also need a Zwift subscription, the app on your bluetooth/ant+ computer/smartphone or other device and perhaps a heart rate monitor, as suggested elsewhere in the thread.

One popular option is to screen share between a phone with the app running and a compatible tv to display the game world. I run the app on a mac mini connected through an HDMI cable to a 72inch television. But pretty much any modern computer/laptop/smart device will work.

Last edited by base2; 08-28-23 at 09:25 PM.
Old 08-28-23, 10:40 PM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I don't subscribe to the "hard man" ideas in this thread, possibly because I don't do any serious rides of less than about 60 miles. OTOH, I've climbed 18% grades on a 400k, so there is something to the hard man theory. Problem is, it takes time to develop that level of strength and many people never will.

On long rides, it's all about HR and cadence. Those are the only two things I watch. I don't care about speed or distance except for navigation. I have a readout for gradient but mostly to fight discouragement - hey, it's not really that hard. I have a lower limit on cadence of about 75. If I find I have to drop below that limit due to gradient or being tired, I'll put on lower gearing. I've gone from a low gear of 30X25 (32 g.i.) in my 50s to 26X30 (23 g.i.) in my 70s. Gearing is the secret, not getting tough. Gearing will allow you to get stronger aerobically, which is what matters. Moreover, with simple gearing changes you can ride anythng you want, right now.

You were wobbling on the bike because your cadence was too low. Riding at 4 mph shouldn't be a problem. It's vastly more energy efficient to ride rather than walk and also much faster. On long rides, I see many inexperienced riders slowly, painfully turning their cranks when they could be comfortable and faster.

If you don't know what gear-inches (g.i.) means, google. That's necessary knowledge.
I dunno, considering I was turning less than 40rpm in a 30x27 on a 25mm tire (25ish g.i.), I could stand to get a little harder. Even 1:1 gearing as is common nowadays would only buy me about 10% more rpm, still far off my comfortable cadence.

I definitely think the op needs to climb more hills to get the hang of it. We’ve all been there at some point.
Old 08-29-23, 03:35 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by Jughed

After some time you get stronger and the hills become easier. Hills that used to put me at my limits are now no big deal…

Edit - and weight. Power to weight ratio is everything when climbing. Everything.
This. Once you know what gearing works for you it's down to fitness and lower weight, IMO.
Old 08-29-23, 03:36 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy

You were wobbling on the bike because your cadence was too low. Riding at 4 mph shouldn't be a problem. It's vastly more energy efficient to ride rather than walk and also much faster. On long rides, I see many inexperienced riders slowly, painfully turning their cranks when they could be comfortable and faster.

This is true. I see a lot of riders struggling on steep grades with gearing too high for their ability. Their relatively high gearing forces them to ride at a power level they cannot sustain and they end up forced to walk. They would do much better with lower gearing.

I have a modern compact double on my road bike (35/33 lowest gear) and even that is marginal on the steepest gradients I encounter (which to be fair are >20%). But I often make use of the lowest gear on gradients <10% without spinning out.

Lower gears are your best friend when climbing gets tough. Even the pros have figured that out in recent years.
Old 08-29-23, 04:00 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by aliasfox
I dunno, considering I was turning less than 40rpm in a 30x27 on a 25mm tire (25ish g.i.), I could stand to get a little harder. Even 1:1 gearing as is common nowadays would only buy me about 10% more rpm, still far off my comfortable cadence.
That 10% difference also allows you to ride with 10% less minimum power at your minimum cadence before stalling. On a steep slope that 10% power reduction could make the difference between riding just below your limit and completely blowing up. I certainly make full use of 1:1 or near gearing on my road bikes and I’m a relatively strong climber for my weight.
Old 08-29-23, 04:47 AM
GhostRider62

Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
If we assume the steep portion is 500 feet at 15% and the rider is moving at 4.2 mph, that would be 3.3 W/Kg. It would be an 83 second effort. For most riders, this effort would be above threshold. Therefore, it would be imperative to arrive at the kicker-type wall with the "anaerobic" energy stores topped up. The way to do that is to control your pace on the lower and less steep sections. On the initial portion of the climbs, the gradient is under 3% and this is where you really have to keep your pace well below FTP, actually below LT1. Once it hits 10% just before the kicker, that 4.2 mph takes 2.2W/Kg. If 2.2W/Kg is functional threshold or higher, once the wall arrives, you are already half toast, meaning you have consumed a large portion your functional reserve capacity or W'. One can think of our cycling motors as a car hybrid, once you exceed the gas motor's limits, the battery kicks in but it has a limit amount of energy to put out before needing to recharge. The battery has to be saved for the wall.

With a power meter and knowing one's limits and sticking to them, it is almost impossible to blow up (on "normal" roads) even with less than ideal gearing. A heart rate meter is only partially helpful due to delays (V·O₂ slow component) once type 2 muscle fibres are being substantially recruited. Without a PM, if one has a Garmin that provides gradient and if one has a wheel sensor showing speed, one can approximate power levels and pace off that. So if you know 5 mph is a good limit on a 10% gradient, you watch your speed and the gradient indication. Of course this takes some mental juggling but that is how I did pacing on climbs when I did not have a PM.

Gearing lets you spare those type 2 muscles for when you need them. More type 1 fibers (endurance) are recruited at 90 rpm than say 60 rpm where more type 2 fibers proportionally are recruited, but paradoxically the lower cadence is more energy efficient (fat oxidation of type 1 fibers used more O2). For me, the easier I ride, the slower my cadence. The harder I ride, the faster my cadence.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 08-29-23, 05:06 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
This is true. I see a lot of riders struggling on steep grades with gearing too high for their ability. Their relatively high gearing forces them to ride at a power level they cannot sustain and they end up forced to walk. They would do much better with lower gearing.

I have a modern compact double on my road bike (35/33 lowest gear) and even that is marginal on the steepest gradients I encounter (which to be fair are >20%). But I often make use of the lowest gear on gradients <10% without spinning out.

Lower gears are your best friend when climbing gets tough. Even the pros have figured that out in recent years.
Agreed. However, at 4.2mph, there are to my knowledge no road bike gearing available that could put OP at a comfortable cadence (80+). Lack of overall fitness here is what I believe to be the problem.
Old 08-29-23, 06:22 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 772 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
If we assume the steep portion is 500 feet at 15% and the rider is moving at 4.2 mph, that would be 3.3 W/Kg. It would be an 83 second effort. For most riders, this effort would be above threshold. Therefore, it would be imperative to arrive at the kicker-type wall with the "anaerobic" energy stores topped up. The way to do that is to control your pace on the lower and less steep sections. On the initial portion of the climbs, the gradient is under 3% and this is where you really have to keep your pace well below FTP, actually below LT1. Once it hits 10% just before the kicker, that 4.2 mph takes 2.2W/Kg. If 2.2W/Kg is functional threshold or higher, once the wall arrives, you are already half toast, meaning you have consumed a large portion your functional reserve capacity or W'. One can think of our cycling motors as a car hybrid, once you exceed the gas motor's limits, the battery kicks in but it has a limit amount of energy to put out before needing to recharge. The battery has to be saved for the wall.

With a power meter and knowing one's limits and sticking to them, it is almost impossible to blow up (on "normal" roads) even with less than ideal gearing. A heart rate meter is only partially helpful due to delays (V·O₂ slow component) once type 2 muscle fibres are being substantially recruited. Without a PM, if one has a Garmin that provides gradient and if one has a wheel sensor showing speed, one can approximate power levels and pace off that. So if you know 5 mph is a good limit on a 10% gradient, you watch your speed and the gradient indication. Of course this takes some mental juggling but that is how I did pacing on climbs when I did not have a PM.

Gearing lets you spare those type 2 muscles for when you need them. More type 1 fibers (endurance) are recruited at 90 rpm than say 60 rpm where more type 2 fibers proportionally are recruited, but paradoxically the lower cadence is more energy efficient (fat oxidation of type 1 fibers used more O2). For me, the easier I ride, the slower my cadence. The harder I ride, the faster my cadence.
Yep, power meter for during the ride. Or get access to one on a trainer or at a shop somewhere and learn your numbers, then use the following tools.

-Learn the grades before the ride - I like to use Gravel Maps and manually put in a route over the sections of the climbs - it will give you grades.
-Bike Calculator website - put in weights, speed and grade and it will give you required power.
-BikeCalc website - will allow you to put in gear ratios and get RPMs in X gear at X Speed.

I recently did this for the Manayunk Wall (climb on the Philly national bike race). 8-10%, 17%, 8-10%. That = threshold - VO2 max - threshold to make it up the climb. Numbers were spot on. I was at 350W, 4.1 MPH, 60RPM on the 17% section. If I went above threshold on the lower part of the climb, I would have blown up on the 17% section.

Did the same for Mt Mitchell. Took a bit of time, but better than blowing up 1/2 way up the mountain.
Old 08-29-23, 08:58 AM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
I’ve only been a “dedicated” cyclist about 4 years and when I first started I HATED hills. As my conditioning and gearing knowledge changed I now seek them out. However the best thing I did to get better at hills was to ride hills.
Likes For Tomm Willians:
Old 08-29-23, 09:01 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Statement of the thread! You can never have too much low gearing. Technique, HTFU, etc all become moot at some point.

The very first tri(sprint) I did had a flat bike course with the exception of a steep hill about 500 yards long right before the halfway turn around. My bike had a 52/42 12-28 on it. On the pre race ride the week before I never got off the 52 ring until that hill. I got up the hill, but struggled. It was a momentum killer. The rest of the route was back on the 52. So, for race day I added a longer BB spindle, a 30T 3rd ring, adjusted the derailleurs and ran my left shifter as friction. That was it. Got to that hill and shifted the FD quickly to the 30T. Didn't mess with the rear. Rolled right up the hill and turned around. Passed a lot of entrants walking their bikes. Got back on the 52T and blasted back down the hill. That 3rd ring never left the bike after that. Same for the rest of my bikes.

Last edited by seypat; 08-29-23 at 09:22 AM.
Likes For seypat:
Old 08-29-23, 09:53 AM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Statement of the thread! You can never have too much low gearing. Technique, HTFU, etc all become moot at some point.

The very first tri(sprint) I did had a flat bike course with the exception of a steep hill about 500 yards long right before the halfway turn around. My bike had a 52/42 12-28 on it. On the pre race ride the week before I never got off the 52 ring until that hill. I got up the hill, but struggled. It was a momentum killer. The rest of the route was back on the 52. So, for race day I added a longer BB spindle, a 30T 3rd ring, adjusted the derailleurs and ran my left shifter as friction. That was it. Got to that hill and shifted the FD quickly to the 30T. Didn't mess with the rear. Rolled right up the hill and turned around. Passed a lot of entrants walking their bikes. Got back on the 52T and blasted back down the hill. That 3rd ring never left the bike after that. Same for the rest of my bikes.
I never knock my triple (52-42-30). My Lynskey is set up for the riding I did on the east coast, and has a granny gear at 34x29 (on 28mm) . My Bianchi is better set up for riding on the west coast, and has the triple with a 30x27 bottom (on 25mm tires). Now that I'm out on the west coast full-time, the Bianchi gets to explore new (and potentially steep) routes, and the Lynskey gets to try them afterwards. Before I got the Lynskey, my Bianchi was my only bike. Riding around Northern VA and NYC, that 30T ring was so clean I could probably eat off of it...
Old 08-29-23, 11:16 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by eduskator
Agreed. However, at 4.2mph, there are to my knowledge no road bike gearing available that could put OP at a comfortable cadence (80+). Lack of overall fitness here is what I believe to be the problem.
True, but when you are bogged down close to your minimum cadence any reduction in gearing makes life easier. It becomes more a matter of riding vs walking rather than optimum cadence. I think the OP would do much better with gravel gearing, at least on the hilly part. Walking half a mile is a big time loss and very inefficient.
Old 08-29-23, 12:42 PM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
I think it's best to adjust our gearing to allow us to get as close to a 70 rpm cadence or where ever we achieve near max sustainable power as practical while climbing long steep hills. In the op's case that would require some serious low gearing of about 20 gear inches. 26/34 cogs with a 27" tire. If he can't make close to max power at 70 rpm, he'll need even lower gears. By all means practice climbing with these gears. More torque is a good thing too, But gearing is king for climbing in my book.

it would help if we knew what gears he was using, and what are available on the bike. Unless he's on a mountain bike, I think it unlikely he has this kind of gearing.

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 08-29-23 at 02:28 PM.
Old 08-29-23, 12:45 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Also, the OP sort of indicated they might not have been in the lowest gear ratio.

I think the gearing is OK, I guess. It's not like I ever ran out of gear. I could keep spinning at a decent rate, but I was going so slowly that I was wobbling all over the place.
So what also might need to be cleared up is what the OP thinks is a decent rate to spin. I consider my legs to be weak, so I compensate by spinning a high cadence and sitting for most all my climbs. My climbing cadence is often faster than my cruising cadence. So typically 90 rpm or faster. As another pointed out, at 4.5 mph someone with typical road bike gearing isn't spinning a very high cadence. In a 36-30 the cadence would be less than 50. And if there was a lower gear that could be shifted to, then for shame, because as also pointed out by another a faster cadence just helps with balance. On our MUP, I have no issue following walkers at 3.0 mph until they clear the oncoming traffic and I can pass.

As well the actual grade and ascent distance would be nice to give us some perspective as to whether it was what others might consider a hard climb or just a long climb requiring some constant grinding away. The OP has been riding for a while. So unless they only ride irregularly and just one day a week or less, they should be in acceptable riding shape.
Old 08-29-23, 10:38 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 299 Posts
OK, guys. I didn't intend to abandon this thread, I just got caught up with work the last couple days. But I took a minute and went out to the garage and checked my gearing. Now this is ONLY the tooth count for the lowest (highest?) gear, but I have 30 teeth on the front and 23 on the back.

As far as the fitness, I don't think it's so much that I'm not fit, at least from an endurance or strength perspective. It's that I'm carrying too much weight. I got pics from the event tonight. I have virtually no fat on my arms or legs but I hate to admit I'm pretty soggy around the mid section. Don't want to give too much away but I'm carrying a whole extra bike worth of weight that's not doing any work.
Originally Posted by base2
There are several videos. They seem to be a perennial favorite of the GCN. Here is one:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YaoqPzDtRbs

The gist is the Alp Du Huez is a real place. The video game creators took real data, & recreated it for the simulator.

You need a Wahoo Kicker, a TacX Neo, A Saris H3, or some other interactive smart trainer to click your bike in to. What you are after here is interactivity...for the game world to translate to real life effort. The better smart trainers replace the bikes rear wheel. You will also need a Zwift subscription, the app on your bluetooth/ant+ computer/smartphone or other device and perhaps a heart rate monitor, as suggested elsewhere in the thread.

One popular option is to screen share between a phone with the app running and a compatible tv to display the game world. I run the app on a mac mini connected through an HDMI cable to a 72inch television. But pretty much any modern computer/laptop/smart device will work.
OK, I don't want to come off like a ***** but I can tell you that will probably never happen. First, it sounds way above my pay grade. Sounds like a lot of investment in just getting that set up. I buy old, used bikes because I can't afford even entry level (quality) new bikes. Second, I am a loud and proud technophobe. I barely get online and post on forums, and you're talking about bluetooth and apps and connectors. Just too far beyond my capabilities. Sounds interesting and all, but just too overwhelming to me.
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 08-29-23, 10:45 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
OK, guys. I didn't intend to abandon this thread, I just got caught up with work the last couple days. But I took a minute and went out to the garage and checked my gearing. Now this is ONLY the tooth count for the lowest (highest?) gear, but I have 30 teeth on the front and 23 on the back.

As far as the fitness, I don't think it's so much that I'm not fit, at least from an endurance or strength perspective. It's that I'm carrying too much weight. I got pics from the event tonight. I have virtually no fat on my arms or legs but I hate to admit I'm pretty soggy around the mid section. Don't want to give too much away but I'm carrying a whole extra bike worth of weight that's not doing any work.
OK, I don't want to come off like a ***** but I can tell you that will probably never happen. First, it sounds way above my pay grade. Sounds like a lot of investment in just getting that set up. I buy old, used bikes because I can't afford even entry level (quality) new bikes. Second, I am a loud and proud technophobe. I barely get online and post on forums, and you're talking about bluetooth and apps and connectors. Just too far beyond my capabilities. Sounds interesting and all, but just too overwhelming to me.
30 in the front and 23 in the back is likely too high of a gear for someone with your (assumed) power to weight ratio to maintain an efficient cadence on a steep-ish climb. I know that I wouldn’t be happy with that gearing, and I ride a very, very light bike without a lot of extra weight on me. simple first step would be to see if you could put a cassette in the back with a bigger big cog, which shouldn’t be expensive, even if you need a new derailleur cage.

for comparison, I ride with 36 in the front and 34 in the back, which is about 20% “easier” to pedal than your setup - and my bike is only 7% of my body weight. some of us need all the help we can get going uphill!
Old 08-29-23, 11:20 PM
VegasJen

Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
30 in the front and 23 in the back is likely too high of a gear for someone with your (assumed) power to weight ratio to maintain an efficient cadence on a steep-ish climb. I know that I wouldn’t be happy with that gearing, and I ride a very, very light bike without a lot of extra weight on me. simple first step would be to see if you could put a cassette in the back with a bigger big cog, which shouldn’t be expensive, even if you need a new derailleur cage.

for comparison, I ride with 36 in the front and 34 in the back, which is about 20% “easier” to pedal than your setup - and my bike is only 7% of my body weight. some of us need all the help we can get going uphill!
Ya. This is the stuff I'm still learning about. It's hard for me to get a good grip on what I need for these types of climbs since my current gearing is more than adequate for the modest hills in my immediate area. I have to drive a good 30 miles or more to get some place where I can duplicate the kind of grades I rode last Saturday.
Old 08-29-23, 11:31 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
So ya gotta make a decision. What is going to be faster or allow you to continue on competitively in the race?

Mashing up to the top of the hill, spending every last bit of reserve energy you have?

Or

Hoisting that bike to your shoulder and sprinting to the top?

I have no Cone Of Shame. I'll drop into my BiPedal Gear in a heart beat.

My bikes are set up with a 34T cog and a 34T ring. When I get to that 1:1 ratio and find myself slowing down then its time for me to go to my Size 12D gear... Ha
Old 08-30-23, 05:08 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by zandoval
So ya gotta make a decision. What is going to be faster or allow you to continue on competitively in the race?

Mashing up to the top of the hill, spending every last bit of reserve energy you have?

Or

Hoisting that bike to your shoulder and sprinting to the top?

I have no Cone Of Shame. I'll drop into my BiPedal Gear in a heart beat.

My bikes are set up with a 34T cog and a 34T ring. When I get to that 1:1 ratio and find myself slowing down then its time for me to go to my Size 12D gear... Ha
Mashing to the top of the hill in a 1:1 gear is always faster for me. I have never once been passed by a competing rider who was on foot. But I have ridden past hundreds of riders on foot in that scenario. I’m talking about road climbs, not cyclocross where sometimes carrying the bike is a better/only option.

Invariably IME when guys get off their bike during a steep climb they are done and never to be seen again. They certainly don’t come running past with their bike over their shoulder 😂
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 08-30-23, 05:33 AM
eduskator

Originally Posted by rsbob
Heart rate monitors are cheap. You can get one on AliExpress for about $15 IF you have a bike computer that receive the input. They have those too for cheap.

As stated above, it is all about power to weight. The less weight you have to move the more competitive you will be, I’m 6’1” and have been working for the last 6 months to get my weight down to ideal precisely to help climbing. Have half a pound to go. But then I do it by half pounds rather than making huge goals which can feel defeating when I don’t hit them.

At 68, my max heart rate is 192 but that is unusually high.
You trust a 15$ device from AliExpress to measure a metric as important as your heart rate? I mean, if it reads 5-10 too low, you may be going up to 197-202 and don't even know.
Old 08-30-23, 06:34 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
But I took a minute and went out to the garage and checked my gearing. Now this is ONLY the tooth count for the lowest (highest?) gear, but I have 30 teeth on the front and 23 on the back.
==============================
This is probably a case where the gearing folks are indeed correct. A 1:1 lowest gear is pretty standard nowadays. A 23 tooth gear in the back as your biggest cog doesn't really leave you a lot of options when any serious hills present themselves.

To the Zwift: If you have pretty much any device with an internet connection it is an option. Then it's up to the smart trainer. I'm including a link so that you can see the options on the used market in your local area are quite a bit cheaper than new prices, not because I expect you to buy one. The GCN do tend to come off as Elite & I'm seeking to show that a smart trainer is remarkably affordable and readily available. https://lasvegas.craigslist.org/sear...rch=1~grid~0~0

Indeed, they can be a$$-kickers. I abandoned this weeks Alp Du Zwift attempt last night. It was just too damn hard for what I had in me at the time. That's sort of the point. It's a useful training tool for all riders at all abilities & the workouts are tailored to your specific abilities with real world likeness. Had I tried such an attempt in the real world, I'd be by the roadside walking, too. Instead, I failed from the comfort of my own back-bedroom.

The real goal is the structured interactive workouts in a controlled environment available anytime. There is an entire game world available. The Alp is but one small area.

Last edited by base2; 08-30-23 at 06:49 AM.
Likes For base2:
Old 08-30-23, 07:10 AM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
Ya. This is the stuff I'm still learning about. It's hard for me to get a good grip on what I need for these types of climbs since my current gearing is more than adequate for the modest hills in my immediate area. I have to drive a good 30 miles or more to get some place where I can duplicate the kind of grades I rode last Saturday.
At 66 years old, and a recreational cyclist, I seldom need the 35 gear inch low gear your bike has either around here where most of the hills aren't particularly challenging. Many of today's road bikes get down to about a 29 gear inch low gear (34/32 sprockets). That's probably low enough for most situations. Hybrid bikes often get down to 24 gear inches (30/34 sprockets). For more challenging situations like touring with 30 - 40 lbs of gear, or climbing long steep hills, Lower available gearing then yours is highly recommended.

Keep in mind there are folks out there riding a single speed bike with a 60+ gear inch cog set who are climbing most of the hills we do. There may in fact be some merit in riding both a single speed bike, or use only one gear of 60+ gear inche to increase high load stamina for accelerating and hills, and alternating with a 18+ speed bike for sustaining the cadence required to maintain optimal power on the flats.

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 08-30-23 at 07:29 AM.
Old 08-30-23, 08:38 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
The advantage of better gearing for climbing like an 11-34 cassette mated with a compact or subcompact double crankset, is you will be able to tackle those 8%+ pitches, switchbacks and inclines with more variety in your cadence and remain fresher longer.

Heck, you may even be able to rest on shallower climbs because you find your sweet spot in your cadence and power output that does not overly tax your CV or muscular chains.

A 30-23 combo would not work for me at 6'2" 210 lbs if I wanted to climb in the mountains.
I would want a 1:1 ratio although I have ridden up mountains with a 34-27 climbing gear.

Last edited by CAT7RDR; 08-30-23 at 08:44 AM.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 08-30-23, 08:52 AM
eduskator

Even with a 11-34 cassette, OP's cadence would still be very low if he climbs at 4.2MPH. A gravel bike or MTB would be needed to accommodate this speed and reach a ''reasonable'' cadence (80+).

I use a 10x28 cassette on a 35/48 crankset and 10kph (6.2mph) is the slowest I can go if I want to maintain a reasonable cadence.

Last edited by eduskator; 08-30-23 at 08:59 AM.
Old 08-30-23, 08:58 AM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 377 Posts
If you're in Las Vegas, you may need to head out to Mount Charleston and do hill repeats. Or do repeats of your local hills in a larger gear than you normally need to simulate steeper terrain.

Getting better at climbing is one of the most rewarding activities in cycling. You got this.
Likes For john m flores:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.