Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Jones H-Bar Loop Bars Map Case

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-24, 05:36 PM
pigmonkey

Bikes: Rodriguez Rainier, Rodriguez Makeshift High Roller

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

When touring I like to use a combination of a digital device and paper maps for navigation. All my previous tours have been on a dropbar bike, where I use a Carradice Super-C handlebar bag with the map case snapped on top.

I now have a new touring bike with Jones H-Bar Loop bars. The Super-C doesn't make sense on these bars (I've seen the hacks where some people attach a second, cut-off stem to give the Klickfix cable something to wrap around, but I don't like that idea). I need to figure out some other way to carry a map, whether as part of a bar bag or just independently. I like the map to be visible while riding, rather than being something where I need to pull over and take it out of a bag. How do other Jones bar tourers handle this?

Rack-wise, I have the bike setup with a Tubus Tara on the front right now. But I'm open to adding a platform rack (I have a Nitto M-1B in the closet) if the right answer is to use some sort of rack-mounted rando bag. One of the options I am considering is the Outer Shell 137 Basket Bag, but I think I would end up looking down onto its map case through the Jones loop, which seems a bit annoying. And it would mean I couldn't have any sort of bag attached inside the loop itself.

I've seen (photos of) the Rockgeist Dr. Jones bag, which has a vinyl pocket on top. Since the bag goes inside the loop, the vinyl section seems pretty small. But maybe it is large enough for a single ACA section? I saw a comment somewhere that the vinyl pocket is not waterproof, which seems less than ideal for a map (or even Rockgeist's intended application of carrying a phone).

I'm mostly interested in solving the map problem, but I'm also undecided about what sort of handlebar bag setup I want with the Jones bars, independent of the map component. So if you have a favorite bag on these bars, feel free to chime in, even if it doesn't support a map.
Old 03-26-24, 02:02 AM
Aushiker

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Salsa Mukluk, Riese & Muller Supercharger GT Rohloff (Forthcoming)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
Would a map case hooked to the bars work? Something like the Sea to Summit Waterproof Map case?

Old 03-26-24, 05:20 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
will follow peoples suggestions, I have jones bars but havent toured on them, and I too like having a truly waterproof map case in easy sight. Ive used an Ortlieb map case for ages and it just plain works.
I suspect Aus's suggestion is probably the easiest, securely attaching a known waterproof case, bodging an attachment system--although getting in the way of hand positions could real a real issue, which for me would be a pain in the arse.
Off the top of my head, perhaps a combo of part of map case held solidly on the top, but velcro or something to allow it to be kept off some hand position areas?
but then we get into flapping issues, which can be annoying. Probably smaller clear map area would help, but thats a compromise too aint it?

get back on here if you go this diy route and do try options, mk1, mk2 etc
Old 03-26-24, 05:42 AM
Aushiker

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Salsa Mukluk, Riese & Muller Supercharger GT Rohloff (Forthcoming)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
will follow peoples suggestions, I have jones bars but havent toured on them, and I too like having a truly waterproof map case in easy sight. Ive used an Ortlieb map case for ages and it just plain works.
I suspect Aus's suggestion is probably the easiest, securely attaching a known waterproof case, bodging an attachment system--although getting in the way of hand positions could real a real issue, which for me would be a pain in the arse.
Off the top of my head, perhaps a combo of part of map case held solidly on the top, but velcro or something to allow it to be kept off some hand position areas?
but then we get into flapping issues, which can be annoying. Probably smaller clear map area would help, but thats a compromise too aint it?

get back on here if you go this diy route and do try options, mk1, mk2 etc
The thinner cases I have can be easily folded (if that works for the map) so could pretty much lay across the gap between the bars (if that makes sense).
Old 03-26-24, 09:47 AM
pigmonkey

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A standalone map case like the Sea to Summit is my fallback option.

I have a couple different ones I use backpacking. The ones I have are too large for this application, and the vinyl thick enough that they don't fold well. (Normally I would roll them and stick them down the side of a backpack.) The small size Sea to Summit looks like a better size.

I had been thinking that I may DIY something with some Velcro Onewrap, a binder clip or two, and an appropriately sized Aloksak. I think I recall Aloksak having a bag with internal dimensions of ~8.5" x ~5.5" (e.g., a standard US letter sheet folded in half). That's probably the best starting point. But, as djb suggested, I'm not sure what the best attachment options are going to be to minimize both flapping and the loss of hand positions. I've only had this new bike with the Jones bars for about 10 days, so I'm not yet sure which of the myriad hand positions I really care about (I like the bars a lot so far, though).

I'm hoping someone more experienced will hop in with an elegant solution. Short of that, the answer will probably be just to throw some extra Velcro and binder clips in a pannier and figure it out on the road.
Old 03-26-24, 10:50 AM
boomhauer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
I’ve used a $10 cargo net (meant for motorcycles) gorilla taped to my jones bar. It’s basically a stretchy basket that I stuff with waterproof dry bags. I’ve been doing this for seven year. It works great! I suppose you could put a map in a plastic sleeve and lay it on top of the cargo in the net.
Old 03-26-24, 01:27 PM
djb

Originally Posted by boomhauer
I’ve used a $10 cargo net (meant for motorcycles) gorilla taped to my jones bar. It’s basically a stretchy basket that I stuff with waterproof dry bags. I’ve been doing this for seven year. It works great! I suppose you could put a map in a plastic sleeve and lay it on top of the cargo in the net.
foto por favor, I put some used jones bars on my wifes bike also, so would be fun to see how your setup looks
Old 03-26-24, 03:37 PM
pigmonkey

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yes, photo please. I'm having trouble picturing it. I do have one of the cargo nets Rivendell sells for Wald baskets that I could do something with.

I found Andy Bikepacking Bags in Singapore. He has a bag called the Jones Loopbag EX (I can't link to it). It goes in the loop and has a vinyl sleeve on top. The photos and video aren't very good, but it looks like it is just a strip of velcro on top of the bag to attach the top of the sleeve, and then maybe some sort of business going on around the stem to hold down the bottom.
Old 03-26-24, 03:57 PM
djb

https://andybikepackingbags.com/inde...es-loopbag-ex/

The hand position at the junction pt of the two bars is a spot I use a lot, so Id really have to pay attention when I get that bike out to think of possible map case areas.

my old ortlieb map case would only flap at around 35-40k or so, so not a huge problem, but i would want more than velcro I think.
Old 03-29-24, 09:50 AM
boomhauer

Old 03-29-24, 10:12 AM
djb

thanks for the photo.
Certainly is an interesting thinking outside of the box idea, that you say has worked well for you, so it works.
It does look like it should be teeming to overflowing with cod though!
Likes For djb:
Old 03-29-24, 10:12 AM
pigmonkey

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Got it. Thanks.

(Not much of a shoulder on that road.)
Old 03-29-24, 10:14 AM
djb

Originally Posted by pigmonkey
Got it. Thanks.

(Not much of a shoulder on that road.)
yup, thats a sketchy one. Im pretty comfortable with lots of roads, but that sort of "no escape route" thing is a bad one.
Would be watching the mirror big time.
A bridge I assume?
Old 03-29-24, 12:42 PM
boomhauer

Originally Posted by djb
thanks for the photo.
Certainly is an interesting thinking outside of the box idea, that you say has worked well for you, so it works.
It does look like it should be teeming to overflowing with cod though!
it holds a water bladder and a small dry bag on top of that. Usually I just carry about 4 cans of beer.