Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Alt Bike Culture
Reload this Page >

Pennyfakething

Search
Notices
Alt Bike Culture Chopped, dropped, stretched, lifted, and otherwise cut up and put back together. The art and science of choppers, cruisers, lowriders and the vast world of mutant bicycles.

Pennyfakething

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-08, 08:17 PM
November

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FANTASTIC job, los buenos!!! You gotta take some pics of it being ridden!
Old 03-08-08, 09:04 PM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by los buenos
i was inspired by this thread and the steampunk article and finished mine last night! i couldnt find a pipe strong enough for the spine cuz all i have is a ton of emt so i used some gazelle forks it turned out buetifully! i would have posted it earlier but i have been ridin it all day! i am soo happy with it, this is the first bike that i made that has absolutly no reason for existing other than because i could make it.
i think penny fakethings should also qualify as tallchoppers, cuz they basically are just the seat is on the chopper forks and it is turned around, but that shouldnt stop it from being a tallchopper.
That is ingenious! You were out riding that in the snow? Man, you are brave!

East Hill
Old 03-09-08, 01:13 PM
los buenos

Bikes: a crappy doubletallbike, an atomic zombie spincycle, a homemade swingbike, a chopper, and many unfinished projects

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by East Hill
You were out riding that in the snow? Man, you are brave!

East Hill
yes but the roads arent that bad right now, the most dangerous thing about the snow right now is if i accidentally hit a big chunk of snow or somthing it endo's because of its itty bitty wheelbase, aside from that it rides surprisingly the same as any other bike the only difference is height the pedals turn with the handlebars and the stares i get
the mounting is real easy all i need is a curb or a small snowbank, i put my foot on the back wheel next ot the forks to stop the wheel from turning and the put my other foot on the pedal and i can just ride away!

ill see if i can find a camera and someone to use it
thanks
Old 04-14-08, 04:09 PM
andygates
Just riding

Bikes: Cannondale Bad Boy / Mercian track / BOB trailer / Moulton recumbent project

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just back from Verity's Titanic outing. Alas, she will sail no more, but oh, what glory!

I was in the town square - there are some big stone pillars (I think they're for chaining sacrificial virgins to) and a lovely flat hardpack gravel surface for Doing Civic Things On. I've got Verity propped up against the pillar and am dithering over her when a voice comes from behind:

"'Ere mate, is that hard to ride?"

Three kids on their way somewhere, drawn by the very silly bicycle.

"Dunno - I haven't managed it yet! Only just finished it... want a go?"

Half a second later the kid is up the thing like a spider monkey and away! And blow me if Verity don't not only work, but look pretty darn elegant as well! He does half a dozen laps of the square with his mates taking mobile phone pics, absolutely loving it, even getting some flicky little skidettes going on, then gets cocky and takes her to the street.

feckhe'sgonnadieohfeckohfeck

On the smooth tarmac all is looking good but then our kid overdraws his account - he bunnies the front wheel up onto the pavement again and the little rear wheel just doesn't want to follow. The whole thing separates gently at the spine-headtube weld and deposits him on his arse in a heap!

Once he gets up, Our Kid is bruised but unbowed - Verity is sadly now a Pennyfakething Separable. The kid and his mates head off to wherever they were going, and I go home with a big stupid grin, two parts of a bike and lessons learned.

Lesson 1: Find the Jackass Generation to test your inventions!
Lesson 2: Weld better.
Lesson 3: Gussets, baby, gussets.
Old 04-14-08, 08:04 PM
oldfool
Infidel

Bikes: 1976 step thru Schwin 10 speed with fenders, home made20" long bike, '73 Puegeot P-15, several beaters, kids bikes and projects

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by andygates
Just back from Verity's Titanic outing. Alas, she will sail no more, but oh, what glory!

I was in the town square - there are some big stone pillars (I think they're for chaining sacrificial virgins to) and a lovely flat hardpack gravel surface for Doing Civic Things On. I've got Verity propped up against the pillar and am dithering over her when a voice comes from behind:

Half a second later the kid is up the thing like a spider monkey and away! And blow me if Verity don't not only work, but look pretty darn elegant as well! He does half a dozen laps of the square with his mates taking mobile phone pics, absolutely loving it, even getting some flicky little skidettes going on, then gets cocky and takes her to the street.

On the smooth tarmac all is looking good but then our kid overdraws his account - he bunnies the front wheel up onto the pavement again and the little rear wheel just doesn't want to follow. The whole thing separates gently at the spine-headtube weld and deposits him on his arse in a heap!

Once he gets up, Our Kid is bruised but unbowed - Verity is sadly now a Pennyfakething Separable. The kid and his mates head off to wherever they were going, and I go home with a big stupid grin, two parts of a bike and lessons learned.

This is a great short story. I loved it.
Old 04-15-08, 11:42 AM
los buenos

Bikes: a crappy doubletallbike, an atomic zombie spincycle, a homemade swingbike, a chopper, and many unfinished projects

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
great lessons as well, useing jackasses is always safest, you wont be able to fix the bike if you hurt yourself, breaking it!
Old 04-15-08, 06:52 PM
Roll-Monroe-Co

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts

BRILLIANT!
Old 04-15-08, 07:37 PM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Boy, and I think I tell good stories! This is a classic.

East Hill
Old 04-20-08, 11:58 AM
James H Haury
Hauja

Bikes: not as many but still too many

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice.

Inspired by Johnny Payphone, me and a minion built this abomination last weekend:

Ready to test-ride:

Fear!

Igor poses better than he rides:

Need to make some changes before it's good, but not bad for a first tallbike, I think
Nice bike how does one go about getting a minion ?Is that anything like a henchman? I need a minion or is that a henchman?
Old 05-08-08, 05:22 PM
Johnny Payphone
Rat Patrol Chicago

Bikes: None, all, it's the same thing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Our bike club started a chapter in Ghent, Belgium, and this pennyfakething was built by the founder, Klaas. However he seems to have defected to Klunker League Now, better known as "Drunker League Now". At any rate he is a master craftsman and all of his bikes are beautiful, but I particularly love this one:

Here's another one from XnTrick bikes. He's given it apes to make it easy to mount.

Old 05-09-08, 10:34 AM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
XnTrick looks a bit shaky on that latest video . I did like the symbolism of him riding off into the sunset.

East Hill
Old 05-09-08, 11:07 AM
Johnny Payphone
Rat Patrol Chicago

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, you should film your first attempt in case hilarity ensues, but you'll look better if you learn to ride the thing well before you film any bike.
Old 05-11-08, 08:12 AM
hockeyteeth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How about an internally geared pennyfakething?
Old 05-12-08, 05:59 AM
Sianelle 
Sister Annie

Bikes: Retro Hercules adult tricycle, 1953 Hercules ladies roadster, 1950s Wearwell fixed gear 'Club' pathracer, 1980s Malvern Star 'Super Star', 1980s Healing GTX-105 Arabesque, 1980's Morrison Concorde & etc & etc.......

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnny Payphone
Our bike club started a chapter in Ghent, Belgium, and this pennyfakething was built by the founder, Klaas. However he seems to have defected to Klunker League Now, better known as "Drunker League Now". At any rate he is a master craftsman and all of his bikes are beautiful, but I particularly love this one:

Oh my, - that is just sooooooo beautiful
OMNIPOTENS aeterne Deus, qui nos secundum imaginem Tuam plasmasti, et omnia bona, vera, pulchra, praesertim in divina persona Unigeniti Filii Tui Domini nostri Iesu Christi, quaerere iussisti, praesta quaesumus ut, per intercessionem Sancti Isidori, Episcopi et Doctoris, in peregrinationibus per interrete factis et manus oculosque ad quae Tibi sunt placita intendamus et omnes quos convenimus cum caritate ac patientia accipiamus. Per Christum Dominum nostrum. Amen.
Old 05-14-08, 07:31 AM
Johnny Payphone
Rat Patrol Chicago

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hockeyteeth
How about an internally geared pennyfakething?
Sounds like the best way to preserve some of the original lines of an ordinary. This guy, for about $300:

has internal gearing and brakes and all that. They're very easy to ride. There's a boricua guy in my neighborhood who souped one up:

Ah, yes, and I've set up https://www.pennyfakething.com

Last edited by Johnny Payphone; 05-14-08 at 08:21 AM.
Old 05-14-08, 11:24 AM
Floyd
el padre

Bikes: Rans Stratus, ICE TRike, other assorted

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just gotta say...i like it.
Old 05-14-08, 12:58 PM
willfcc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like the best way to preserve some of the original lines of an ordinary. This guy, for about $300:

has internal gearing and brakes and all that.
That one is actually a coaster hub. An internally geared hub IS available that might fit (check bearing size and spacing), but the hub alone is over $1000US.
Old 05-14-08, 01:04 PM
deez
peaced out

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thats a Great Moustache. Fully required to properly ride that bike
Old 06-07-08, 06:09 AM
Sianelle 
Sister Annie

Bikes: Retro Hercules adult tricycle, 1953 Hercules ladies roadster, 1950s Wearwell fixed gear 'Club' pathracer, 1980s Malvern Star 'Super Star', 1980s Healing GTX-105 Arabesque, 1980's Morrison Concorde & etc & etc.......

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Um...... time to revive a great thread

Ever since I read that issue of Steampunk magazine I've been haunted by the urge to construct a pennyfakething. Save that as an older lady with a disability any pennyfakething I might build would end up as a display item only; - which of course would be a shame.
When in need of inspiration I go to Google Patent Search and check out anything bicycle related that was patented before 1900. After 1900 (shrug) let's face it everything went downhill

A certain Mr Edward Burstow patented his 'Velocipede' in 1881 and this was a design which I've always thought was utterly delightful. The British Postal Service used them for a time because they were far more stable than a hi-wheeler and could carry a good load.

https://www.google.com/patents?id=aL9...Edward+Burstow

Now if I could convert Mr Burstow's delightful 'Hen and Chickens' pentacycle over to the pennyfakething concept I'm sure I would be onto a winner.
OMNIPOTENS aeterne Deus, qui nos secundum imaginem Tuam plasmasti, et omnia bona, vera, pulchra, praesertim in divina persona Unigeniti Filii Tui Domini nostri Iesu Christi, quaerere iussisti, praesta quaesumus ut, per intercessionem Sancti Isidori, Episcopi et Doctoris, in peregrinationibus per interrete factis et manus oculosque ad quae Tibi sunt placita intendamus et omnes quos convenimus cum caritate ac patientia accipiamus. Per Christum Dominum nostrum. Amen.
Old 06-07-08, 06:37 AM
Floyd
el padre

Bikes: Rans Stratus, ICE TRike, other assorted

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a unicycle that I can not ride, maybe this is my answer to being able to get up on the thing. training wheels...
Old 06-07-08, 04:28 PM
Sianelle 
Sister Annie

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Floyd
I have a unicycle that I can not ride, maybe this is my answer to being able to get up on the thing. training wheels...
Could be a good idea Floyd. There's a trader selling cheap unicycles here in NZ at the moment and I must say I have been tempted to buy one for experimental purposes.

Another pennyfakething video........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOXAB19lqxQ
Old 06-07-08, 04:51 PM
Wobbly John

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That latest video is of my XnTRICK Cycles one.

About the comments about me being wobbly in the earlier video:

1. The saddle was loose and kept swivelling round
2. The road we had choosen had deterioated and developed quite a 'crown'
Old 06-07-08, 05:17 PM
Sianelle 
Sister Annie

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Your latest pennyfakething is certainly a nice ride. I enjoyed watching your video and I can feel myself becoming dangerously inspired
Old 06-08-08, 03:42 PM
Johnny Payphone
Rat Patrol Chicago

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After seeing a Hen'n'Chickens in person at the Canberra bicycle museum I am pumped to make one using the pennyfakething method as well. In fact, at pennyfakething.com I'm planning to build and post EVERY design using an ordinary wheel, rebuilt with the fakething style.

The one I saw had a lever that would lift up the four wheels and allow you to ride like a unicycle at speed.
Old 06-09-08, 04:18 PM
Sianelle 
Sister Annie

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
After seeing a Hen'n'Chickens in person at the Canberra bicycle museum I am pumped to make one using the pennyfakething method as well. In fact, at pennyfakething.com I'm planning to build and post EVERY design using an ordinary wheel, rebuilt with the fakething style.

The one I saw had a lever that would lift up the four wheels and allow you to ride like a unicycle at speed.

I'm trying to get my head around the image of a giant hi-wheel unicycle at speed

I wonder how many folk were actually brave enough to use that lever