Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Alt Bike Culture
Reload this Page >

Cruiser Panniers

Search
Notices
Alt Bike Culture Chopped, dropped, stretched, lifted, and otherwise cut up and put back together. The art and science of choppers, cruisers, lowriders and the vast world of mutant bicycles.

Cruiser Panniers

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-08, 10:40 AM
deez
peaced out

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cruiser Panniers

I want a set of panniers for my cruiser but i want them to look cool. I want motorcycle saddle bag look and something made of either leather or Canvas.

I saw these Brooks Roll up panniers that I thought had about the right style... 300 bones is definitely out of my price range, but I could see myself making something similar out of some canvas or denim or leather if i had a source.

https://clevercycles.com/store/?c=web...phalt-one+size

Anybody make their own cool lookin panniers? I've seen the threads where folks have turned kitty litter buckets and old backpacks into panniers but I gotta be stylish here.

I'd love to see some pics of some cruisers with panniers just to get some ideas...I'm leaning strongly towards breaking out the sewing machine this weekend.
Old 05-15-08, 10:42 AM
donnamb 
tired

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
How about kitty litter buckets spray painted, gold, silver, or copper?
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
Old 05-15-08, 10:46 AM
deez
peaced out

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
...lord knows I've got enough of em 2 cats = mucho litter.

I kinda like the notion of a more natural material like Hemp Canvas/Denim, Cotton or Leather.
Old 05-15-08, 11:00 AM
ebr898
wheelin in the years

Bikes: Some Schwinns, a Gary Fisher, some vintage lt wts

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Those are slick. I have made panniers out of old Mil. Surplus bags before. If you can deal w/ your style being earth tone or camo ,they work pretty well. I now need to figure out if I can modify mine to roll like that.
Old 05-15-08, 11:11 AM
deez
peaced out

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the idea of Mil. Surplus bags, there's an Army/Navy store close by I might start there.

A buddy suggested goin to Salvation Army and getting some Jeans/Jean Skirts or a Leather Jacket to source the fabric...could be pretty cheap that way..
Old 05-15-08, 11:32 AM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Watch out that your heels don't bump 'em on the backstroke.
Old 05-15-08, 11:47 AM
deez
peaced out

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
pretty sure that wont be a problem on this.

but I do think I'm gonna want to replace the read fender with a full length one... and Will I need to get a Rack of some sort to mount it on?
Old 05-16-08, 08:25 AM
oldfool
Infidel

Bikes: 1976 step thru Schwin 10 speed with fenders, home made20" long bike, '73 Puegeot P-15, several beaters, kids bikes and projects

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I currently use Wald folding baskets on the rear rack but the next ones are going to be canvas or duck sewn with brass colored thread and Steampunked with leather straps and brass/bronze fitting from the hardware store.

For me they must fold flat or rollup so that they are always with me and they have to fit my grocery bags.

Oh yeah you'll need a rack.
Old 05-16-08, 03:33 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by deez
I want a set of panniers for my cruiser but i want them to look cool. I want motorcycle saddle bag look and something made of either leather or Canvas.

I saw these Brooks Roll up panniers that I thought had about the right style... 300 bones is definitely out of my price range, but I could see myself making something similar out of some canvas or denim or leather if i had a source.

Anybody make their own cool lookin panniers? I've seen the threads where folks have turned kitty litter buckets and old backpacks into panniers but I gotta be stylish here.

I'd love to see some pics of some cruisers with panniers just to get some ideas...I'm leaning strongly towards breaking out the sewing machine this weekend.
I have to admit that while I only spent about $60 (less than 90 with shipping I think it was) they weren't large enough and were not as strong and durable as I'd hoped for. I didn't want leather or canvas but Harley Electro-Glide c.1980 was very nice and there are shaped rounded motorcycle panniers with a leather/leather-like covering on other cycles I see. An organic or synthethic lining is not desired by me as I don't want liquid items leaking into them. I carry groceries in them but on the other hand the Schwinn allows me to haul more in my full compliment of Wald baskets.

Did you look at the Wald site to see if they have a more affordable way to do this? Have you thought of dying plain canvas and treating it to stitch a custom bag? You could tie-dye it if it struck your fancy!

Here's another idea--make the bags so that they can be lifted out and dropped in, with a zipper flap to shut them off and a hanger system. You can then be green and carry them out to the bike and into the house without loading and reloading. You can roll them up and strap around with a metal fastener that attaches to the frame when out of use or to the bag during use anyway.

Last edited by Rollfast; 05-16-08 at 03:43 PM.
Old 05-16-08, 03:39 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
These look pretty cool:

https://www.galaxyarmynavy.com/item-glx-sbb.asp
Old 05-16-08, 09:16 PM
mastershake916

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey, it's the brooks demo bike. I want to buy one and turn it into an actual bike.
Old 05-16-08, 09:43 PM
VT tallbike

Bikes: fixed gear raleigh super record, Fixed gear tall bike, SS tall bike, Triple high tall bike, Trek 4500, Diamond back viper, trek 800/nishiki chopper bike, I think/hope thats all

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saw some brooks panniers that had just come in to a bike shop I wandered into while on vacation in CA, and they were beautiful. They're messenger bag also looks dope, although the shoulder pad probably needs a decent break in period.
Old 05-19-08, 09:09 AM
deez
peaced out

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Man that Army Bread Bag is cool. not sure if it would be the right size or what but it sure is cool.

Rollfast, you have some great ideas there, I especially liked the idea of a zipper system to allow me to carry the bags into the store and off the bike into the house... as it is I'm currently contemplating whether canvas/denim is a smart move as I watch thunderheads build outside my window Of course there's plenty of good waterproofing washes like Nikwax i could use to make a canvas bag at least rain-resistant.

The Harly Electro style bags were kinda what I had in mind originally then I saw the Brooks bags...they're just so damn expensive. Is there an outlet or somethign like that I could get them cheaper from?
Old 05-19-08, 09:34 AM
deez
peaced out

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow I'll tell ya, that Military Surplus website is AWESOME

check this out.

https://www.galaxyarmynavy.com/item-fo-57-816.asp ...would look pretty badass.

This too

https://www.galaxyarmynavy.com/item-8142.asp
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
8142_big.jpg (11.3 KB, 346 views)
fo_57816.jpg (25.7 KB, 348 views)
Old 05-19-08, 10:24 AM
ebr898
wheelin in the years

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have used the swiss bread bags. They are easy to install because the leather straps on top can be buttoned onto the outside rail of the rack. If you have 2 you can put the straps together and set it over the top as a saddle bag set up. The back of the bags are heavy water proof synthetic of some sort. I put copper hog rings in the back to attach a bunge cord ring, quick and easy.
The down sides are they are smaller than what they appear, and to loading them is a bit akward. The top is a leather reinforced seam/hinge. to load it you put your stuff in the canvas body (mine varried on having a pocket sewn into them but all had a devider and eye hook hasp) close an eye hook hasp then fold it down to close with the leather strap you see on the add. The leather strap dose not let you over stuff.
Check prices also because I got mine @ cheaperthandirt for like $20 for 5 + shipping and handling.
Old 05-19-08, 10:26 AM
deez
peaced out

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
now i'm on a mil-surplus kick.

https://www.fatiguesarmynavy.com/stor...tyle_Field_Bag

I really like the size of these Paratrooper shoulder bags but they all have Isreali army logos on them. I'd prefer to keep my bike seperate from my opinions of Middle Eastern politics.

https://www.fatiguesarmynavy.com/stor...r_Shoulder_Bag
Attached Images
File Type: gif
1942bag77.gif (26.2 KB, 341 views)
File Type: gif
odisraelibag77.gif (43.8 KB, 338 views)
Old 05-19-08, 10:29 AM
ebr898
wheelin in the years

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Check the dementions and attachements on "butt packs" no I am not joking
Old 05-19-08, 10:50 AM
deez
peaced out

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah those looked promising as well although potentially on the small side.
Old 05-19-08, 04:51 PM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
I ran these bags that I got from Cheaper than Dirt as front panniers on a 500 mile tour this spring. They are part of what they called a Swedish Harness. It had some smaller bags and shoulder straps with it too. I took the spring off of the clip that attached them to the harness and hung them on my rack then bolted the hooks on with 5mm bolts and locknuts. I also ran a strap around the rack and each bag to keep them from flapping around. They worked great. and were $20 each if I remember correctly.

When I took the pictures, I was just test fitting them, so they weren't properly attached yet.
Attached Images
100_0612.jpg (81.3 KB, 46 views)
100_0613.jpg (99.4 KB, 64 views)
Old 05-19-08, 04:57 PM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
You could also look into a set of "throw over" saddle bags at a horseman's supply store or from a motorcycle accessory store. The throwover type is two bags that have flapps in the center that are laced together. You can seperated the two and modify the flaps to tie them to your rear rack.
Old 05-20-08, 03:10 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Man that Army Bread Bag is cool. not sure if it would be the right size or what but it sure is cool.

Rollfast, you have some great ideas there, I especially liked the idea of a zipper system to allow me to carry the bags into the store and off the bike into the house... as it is I'm currently contemplating whether canvas/denim is a smart move as I watch thunderheads build outside my window Of course there's plenty of good waterproofing washes like Nikwax i could use to make a canvas bag at least rain-resistant.

The Harly Electro style bags were kinda what I had in mind originally then I saw the Brooks bags...they're just so damn expensive. Is there an outlet or somethign like that I could get them cheaper from?
I do not like to chance it in an electrical storm one bit and will wait for it to go or dash point to point. This thing goes off when the power starts bumping (hard) or I sense a big storm. My electrical system is typical non-logical.

One tries to learn everything on way under 700/mo.
Old 06-08-08, 01:02 PM
ebr898
wheelin in the years

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
FWIW - I bought some more "Bread Bags", I found on good deal on them at Sportsman's guide.
https://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c...5&kwtid=252255
Old 06-08-08, 02:03 PM
Juggler2
W A N T E D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

These are what I plan to buy for my cruiser. (Top of the page)

https://www.choppersus.com/store/cate...Bars-and-Bags/
Old 06-11-08, 11:00 AM
deez
peaced out

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I got a dilemma. I ordered a rack for my panniers and the rack doesn't fit over my 3" rear tire...

I'm thinking Frame pack might be the way to go now.
Old 08-19-11, 03:34 PM
HaChayalBoded

Bikes: an old Fuji folding piece of **** contraption thingamabob.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is a cheaper alternative to the brooks roll up saddlebags.

Here's what it looks like on a peddle powered bike. The drybag on top is a Kriega US5 fender pack.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.