Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Positives of Brexit

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Positives of Brexit

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-16, 03:53 AM
Henry III
is just a real cool dude

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 14 Posts
Positives of Brexit

I not a political person what so ever and don't want this thread to turn into one. Though with the British Pound plunging seems like the perfect time to start picking up items from UK shops...Wiggle, Chain Reaction, Hilary Stone, etc. Last time I saw it was 1 USD to .67 GBP.
Old 06-24-16, 05:08 AM
Spaghetti Legs 

Bikes: Numerous

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Quoted: 1678 Post(s)
Liked 3,098 Times in 914 Posts
I think it will be hard to predict what will happen with this, but if prices look good to you, then pick up stuff now. (I have, from Wiggle) I'm curious if ultimately we'll see a bump in prices as, theoretically, stuff coming into GB from the EU, like Campy bits, will be subject to import duties. Also EU VAT rules will no longer apply, so we'll have to see what happens with that.

My biggest concern is that jittery financial markets won't like this and I'll watch my retirement funds take what I hope will be a temporary plunge.
Old 06-24-16, 05:12 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
As long as it will take for the exit to occur, its going to be just some short term financial drops as far as the £ value against other currencies, the USD included. Not too much will happen, IMHO.

That said, I am watching Ribble, and some of the shoe specialty stores, just in case, I really want some classic riding shoes from the UK.....

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Last edited by qcpmsame; 06-25-16 at 05:45 AM.
Old 06-24-16, 07:19 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1445 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 762 Posts
Euro is down a bit as well, though not as much as the Pound. Sep 16 futures are trading around 1.11. At 3pm yesterday they were over 1.14.
Old 06-24-16, 02:32 PM
eschlwc
Banned.

Bikes: '73 falcon sr, '76 grand record, '84 davidson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Henry III
... with the British Pound plunging seems like the perfect time to start picking up items from UK shops...Wiggle, Chain Reaction...
absolutely. and this is the perfect time to visit the uk.
Old 06-24-16, 03:09 PM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
I looked at pbk today for a wheelset I've been eyeing, and the price was actually higher than last time I looked a couple weeks ago. Maybe next week.
Old 06-24-16, 03:12 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
I bought a Le Coq Sportif merino jersey from PBK on the 7th. I was on their site yesterday looking at a yellow one. Just checked and the price has dropped about 12%. Looks like all the Le Coq stuff did, I don't know about everything else.
Old 06-24-16, 03:22 PM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Ex Pres
I looked at pbk today for a wheelset I've been eyeing, and the price was actually higher than last time I looked a couple weeks ago. Maybe next week.
Same. I looked at CRC and stuff I have in my basket is same as it has been for weeks. I switched to GBP and then did a goodle convsersion and that came out a bit cheaper based on todays exchange. I will keep watching and see if prices adjust over the next week.
Old 06-24-16, 05:08 PM
jetboy 

Bikes: centurion cinelli equipe, look hinault 753, Zunow z-1, 83 stumpy sport

Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 186 Posts
the exchange rate has been in our (USD) favor for so long, i would not expect to see a huge drop: and I am with S. Legs in that long term, the prices will actually bump as UK stores face increased tariffs and higher Euro wholesale prices. It might not even be so long term if shops start to edge up prices now in anticipation...

that said... I DO want one of those planet X Holdsworth frames.... so I will be keeping my eye out for a suddenly plunging quid! so far, prices are holding steady at around $980. if it drops to $700 its buy buy buy time.
Old 06-24-16, 05:22 PM
artclone

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Suberbe, '92 (German) Centurion Equipe, '85 Schwinn Peloton, 1983ish Zunow Road Racer project, '69 Squanch Super Tourer, 1980 Bianchi Super Corsa, '82 Austro-Daimler Vent Noir, '89 Miyata 914 project, 1982ish Bianchi Rallye

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Don't forget those international sellers on eBay. Some bikes or parts might be worth the shipping now.
Old 06-24-16, 05:39 PM
jetboy 

of course it got me looking so I ordered a holdsworth jersey ($24) and a 9 speed chain ( $9) and some cables and housing ($2 a piece) etc. prices have not changed much but its still dirt cheap... I need the chain and cheapo cables for my <$100 clunker build
Old 06-24-16, 05:43 PM
Chrome Molly

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Don't assume that sellers are not going to hold exchange rates for a while to maximize real return on their inventory and then carry less stock. To secure the gains don't forget you can pay in GBP and pay the conversion toll directly with your credit card company. I seem to notice that ribble resets rates weekly. Though that is just my observation.
Old 06-24-16, 05:59 PM
jetboy 

most credit cards tag a 3+% fee on for out of country purchases... my bank (mechanics bank.. very small) does not, and capital one .. crazily enough.. also does not which is why my wife has that card. but 90% of the big names do... just to beware.
Old 06-25-16, 04:13 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
Remember, the stuff that's currently in stock was purchased by the stores before the pound fell a bit. What will be interesting is when the newer Campy stuff hits ribble and PBK, etc. That will reflect the pound vs. the Euro, and that's when any savings will be realized.

Otherwise, there may be some super sales not because of the pound's value, but just the drop-off in business.

My guess is that there will be buying as the pound drops, which will mitigate the drop, put a damper on all the hand-wringing and people will go back to whatever it was they were doing before, unless they're Brits working for the EU in Brussels or something.

Right now, appears the world's largest case of sour grapes are being dumped out by the sore losers. They want to change the rules, since they lost. Bet they'd be fine with them if it was the other way around.

Reminds me of a not so long ago election, when many pundits were getting ready to publish articles supporting the electoral college, and then had to put those articles away when their guy ended up on the opposite side of what they thought would happen.
Old 06-25-16, 04:28 PM
beechnutC23
U.I.O.G.D.

Bikes: Bassi Hog's Back gravel/bikepacking, Bombtrack Hook 2 gravel, Marinoni Genius/Campy Record, Marinoni Special EL-OS/Campy Record (retired to permanent indoor trainer), Rocky Mountain hybrid, Rocky Mountain mtb Cervelo R3 Team/Campy Chorus FOR SALE

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs
My biggest concern is that jittery financial markets won't like this and I'll watch my retirement funds take what I hope will be a temporary plunge.
That's my worry as well and I'm already retired and living on my retirement funds, but my financial planner has a contingency system in place where I have enough money in fixed-income investments to pay myself out 4 years. We top that fund up from balanced fund every couple of years. I got lucky and just topped it up when the Canadian markets were at their peak 2 weeks ago.
Old 06-25-16, 07:07 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by jetboy
the exchange rate has been in our (USD) favor for so long, i would not expect to see a huge drop: and I am with S. Legs in that long term, the prices will actually bump as UK stores face increased tariffs and higher Euro wholesale prices. It might not even be so long term if shops start to edge up prices now in anticipation...

that said... I DO want one of those planet X Holdsworth frames.... so I will be keeping my eye out for a suddenly plunging quid! so far, prices are holding steady at around $980. if it drops to $700 its buy buy buy time.
The UK has to invoke article 50, which will start the 24 month departure process. Cameron has stated he won't and will have the next prime minister do it. He I think gave notice of at least 6 weeks, then more time to call elections, I don't think the departure clock will start until October, my guess.
Of course, for quite a while it will be terms as usual… well not quite, I think things will be pushed to start sooner than later due to the market turmoil.

Have a nagging feeling of Recession coming.
Old 06-27-16, 12:46 PM
DiegoFrogs

Bikes: '77 Centurion "Pro Tour"; '67 Carlton "The Flyer"; 1984 Ross MTB (stored at parents' house)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
I was hoping the Swedish Crown would make a huge rebound back to the level where it was relative to the U.S. Dollar when I moved here 2-1/2 years ago (it lost about 30%), mostly because I moved money over here at what seemed like the minimum exchange rate to purchase an apartment recently (and I'm not sure how this will affect the part of my mortgage that has an adjustable rate). It would have been nice, in a couple more years, perhaps, to have the option of selling at a modest gain in value and a large gain in currency transactions.

I guess we shall see what the next couple years shall bring!
Old 06-27-16, 01:28 PM
hankaye

Bikes: '95 Specilized StumpjumperFS

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Howdy All;

British law has some quirks in it that can help folks. For instance, I wanted to purchase a book on fly tying
a few years ago. Current price was about $45.00. I found one seller in the UK that had some that had been
in storage since the book was published back in the 1930's. equivalent price worked out to roughly $9.00.
By Law he could not sell it for the current price, had to sell it for the original price. So, Buy new unused and
buy at the original. For Used items the seller can set his/her own price or whatever the market will bear.
Might wish to check that it applies for most everything, as I can only relate to the book sale.

hank
Old 06-27-16, 01:36 PM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
The UK has to invoke article 50, which will start the 24 month departure process. Cameron has stated he won't and will have the next prime minister do it. He I think gave notice of at least 6 weeks, then more time to call elections, I don't think the departure clock will start until October, my guess.
Of course, for quite a while it will be terms as usual… well not quite, I think things will be pushed to start sooner than later due to the market turmoil.

Have a nagging feeling of Recession coming.
The rest of the Euro countries will hit the UK hard, so as to warn any other countries that wish to leave. Life will get tougher here as food etc will cost more, but the Brits are tough, and we will get over it.

I never voted, but if I did, I would have voted out.... Look at what Germany etc done to Greece..... people have money in banks but are limited to £420 euros per week .... sickening