Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Dura Ace freewheel spacer question

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-24, 11:07 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts

I have a couple of NOS Dura Ace 7400 7-speed freewheel (not freehub) bodies along with some random 7s freewheel cogs but I don’t think I have any spacers. I was wondering if anyone familiar with the Dura Ace 7400 7-speed freewheel would know the thickness (width) of the spacers for this freewheel. Also, how many spacers are needed? Thanks for any help and bonus points awarded if you could post a link to an exploded diagram (PDF file) of the 7400 freewheel (7-speed) from Shimano tech documents.
Old 02-11-24, 12:34 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
... anyone familiar with the Dura Ace 7400 7-speed freewheel know the thickness (width) of the spacers? Also, how many spacers are needed?
Your "anyone" is @pastorbobnlnh.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 02-11-24, 12:53 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 278 Posts
I just measured a 7400 7-speed freewheel cog: 1.9mm and the cog to cog is exactly 5.0mm. You do the math.

This freewheel has 2 unique cogs: the #1 and #2 threaded. The rest of the cogs can be replaced with Hyperglide cogs from either an H22 or HG37 freewheel, with a few minutes of grinding. IIRC, the HG37 freewheel spacers are width compatible with the Dura-Ace body.

BTW: because the HG cogs are Hyperglide, they shift worlds better than the older clunky original Uniglide cogs.
Likes For Dave Mayer:
Old 02-11-24, 12:56 PM
KCT1986

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 234 Posts
The spacers for 7s are 3.1mm thick. Comes in 3 different configurations.
Spacer for large splined part of freewheel body.
Spacer for smaller splined part of freewheel body. Available in larger OD or smaller OD, depending on tooth count of sprockets used.

Number of spacers needed depends on the sprocket used. Some sprockets have built-in spacers already. Sprockets are of 4 different types, large or small splined, threaded and outer threaded.

Search the Shimano Tech docs (MF-7400) for details and the EV doc/parts list for sprockets available for each position, and which sprockets are the built-in spacers type.

Here is an old diagram of the configuration.

Old 02-11-24, 01:32 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1453 Post(s)
Liked 2,196 Times in 963 Posts
KCT1986 has covered it all. Well done. I have nothing more to add.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 02-11-24, 02:28 PM
KCT1986

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 234 Posts
Originally Posted by KCT1986
The spacers for 7s are 3.1mm thick. Comes in 3 different configurations.
Spacer for large splined part of freewheel body.
Spacer for smaller splined part of freewheel body. Available in larger OD or smaller OD, depending on tooth count of sprockets used.

Number of spacers needed depends on the sprocket used. Some sprockets have built-in spacers already. Sprockets are of 4 different types, large or small splined, threaded and outer threaded.

Search the Shimano Tech docs (MF-7400) for details and the EV doc/parts list for sprockets available for each position, and which sprockets are the built-in spacers type.

Here is an old diagram of the configuration.

Forgot to mention, if the very middle sprocket is not the built-in spacer type, the spacer behind it (hub side) should be the larger OD type. The smaller OD type in this position may not properly secure/support the larger splined sprockets behind it.
Likes For KCT1986:
Old 02-11-24, 04:02 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
I have a very few spacers and cogs. ebay is a good source for open stock parts too.

the 17T small spline cog is hard to find. these are the best freewheels ever.

you might also have luck with down-spec spacers (not DA). remember that the spacers are different for 6 vs 7 speed builds

shimano diagrams in PDF format are here https://si.shimano.com/en/manual/sea..._model=mf-7400

/markp

Last edited by mpetry912; 02-11-24 at 04:10 PM.
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 02-11-24, 04:06 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
Perhaps my favorite freewheel ever, identically dimensioned to the rarer Sante MF-5000 freewheel.

One particular "gray" spacer pictured above has a stepped/tapered OD, so it extends past the OD of the larger spline behind the middle sprocket.
Otherwise, the 3rd-largest cog would be unsupported, thus able to slide over next to the middle cog, leaving the three largest cogs loose and flopping around.

I've built up many a 7s Dura-Ace freewheel, several having HG cogs in the five largest positions, arriving at 12-28t and 12-32t.
A mail-order firm briefly cataloged and sold these custom-built HG 7s freewheels in the 1990's for around $189.

I've also used the D-A 7s freewheel to make a couple of "Uniglide Ultra-6" freewheels, by removing the externally-threaded smallest cog and fitting an O-ring (or a 600 freewheel's threaded ring) to close the resulting gap exposing the bearings after the small cog was removed (the 600 freewheel's threaded sealing ring got sanded thinner, then pounded in flush).
Likes For dddd: