Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Panaracer Gravel King??

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Panaracer Gravel King??

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-24, 01:46 PM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
Panaracer Gravel King??

Anyone have any experience with these tires? Looking for a Schwalbe Marathon Supreme replacement. Sixes 26x2
Likes For Tandem Tom:
Old 03-06-24, 03:17 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
I use a GK SS on my gravel bike. They are 700c, sized 43mm. They are a pretty decent tire on dirt, with enough bite to allow cornering on single track. They also roll surprisingly well on asphalt. Mine are wire bead and I use with tubes.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 03-06-24, 03:28 PM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Liked 2,985 Times in 1,498 Posts
Merlin cycle/

no exp but they are on sale; https://www.merlincycles.com/en-us/s...avel+King+Tyre
Likes For '02 nrs:
Old 03-06-24, 03:36 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
Been running GK Slicks for years in 700x28 & 700x38. Very fast tire. They are a go-to road tire for me in road bikes that can only run a 28mm tire. For 35mm+ also a go-to, though I've been trying other tires(loaded up on some Marathon Supremes before they disappeared) as the GK Slicks tend to have a shorter life for me. I'm around 225lbs.

I've mentioned it before..in 26x2 I'd (and I have more than once) go to Schwalbe Big Bens. Not the heavier Plus or GreenGuard, plain old Big Bens. Great tire with and without touring weight.
Likes For fishboat:
Old 03-06-24, 04:03 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Yeah, probably half the internet has experience with GK tires. They are some of the most popular tires for mixed use and gravel over the last 10 years.

I have used the GK Slick for years in 32mm and one of my kids has 28mm GK Slicks on her road bike. They roll well, dont puncture frequently, and are relatively inexpensive. These are used with tubes.
Ive then ridden through multiple pairs of GL SS 43mm tires on my gravel bike. Again- roll well, durable, and relatively inexpensive. These have all been tubeless.

The consistent complaint about GK tires, and I fully experienced this, is that they are atrocious to set up tubeless. Panaracer's standards were horrible for years and the tires were entirely too floppy so it was tough to get the bead to seat on the shelf.
Panaracer just announced new GK tires with a full redesign, and its way past due. The new tires are supposed to actually set up easily on tubeless rims.
New models will be in 5mm increments, so 35mm, 40mm, and 45mm.

I am guessing there is a decent sale on GK tires because vendors are trying to get rid of their stock of the old models.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 03-06-24, 04:53 PM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Fishbowl, it appears they are 2.15 and I don't think they will fit with the fenders.
Old 03-06-24, 08:01 PM
brooklyn_bike

Bikes: 3Rensho SuperRecord Export, Bridgestones MB1 RB1 XO2, Colnago Super, Medici GranTurismo, Schwinn Paramount, Olmo Competition, Raleigh Portage, Miyata 1000, Stumpjumper, Lotus Competition, Nishiki Maxima, Panasonic DX6000, Zeus Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 36 Posts
considering these tires too (2 x 2.15") curious the actual mounted width of the tire. they'd be tight on my bike for clearance
Old 03-06-24, 08:12 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
I have the 38's. They're ok, but I prefer the Supremes. Rolling resistance is ok, but not great. Good grip. I've never had a flat on them, though iirc bicycle rolling resistance shows them with lower puncture protection.

I might try the 37c Panaracer Pasela. 380 grams.

I used to have the 26" Big Apples which were good, but heavier.

Last edited by stevel610; 03-06-24 at 08:22 PM.
Old 03-06-24, 11:19 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 344 Posts
In case you cannot find the gravel kings in your size, I have the Continental race kings and am quite satisfied
Old 03-07-24, 02:11 AM
Sangetsu

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
I have GK’s. I love them.
Old 03-07-24, 06:40 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by Tandem Tom
Fishbowl, it appears they are 2.15 and I don't think they will fit with the fenders.
I'm not anywhere near my bikes that run the BigBens.. I could measure the mounted width when I get home..about 5-6 weeks.

You might consider the Big Apple as it comes in a 26x2, good rolling tire. The Raceguard / Addix versions are the ones I run in the BB, they have the same version in the Big Apple. Never have issues with flats.
https://www.schwalbetires.com/Big-Apple-11100298
Old 03-07-24, 09:59 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1963 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
I have a Gravel King SS on my front wheel right now, running with a tube. Prior to this I ran a Marathon Supreme on this wheel.

It rides fine, but the puncture resistance is inferior to the Marathon Supreme. I know this is anecdotal and it's just one case, but I got a puncture from a triangular pebble, not even glass, that would have never punctured a Marathon Supreme. I couldn't believe it when I pulled it out. If you're going to run it with sealant then this doesn't matter.
Old 03-07-24, 07:03 PM
Tandem Tom

So here is something I thought about today on the ride into the bike shop where I work.
I converted my Giant Escape to an ebike in 2022. I put Kenda Komfort tires on them because we had some at the shop. After riding 3000 miles since2022 just back and forth from the shop they still look like new tires.Thies are 770c x40mm. So I just checked our supplier and a 26 x1.95" weights 690grams. I can get the for under $20.
Thoughts?
Old 03-08-24, 11:33 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

So here is something I thought about today on the ride into the bike shop where I work.
I converted my Giant Escape to an ebike in 2022. I put Kenda Komfort tires on them because we had some at the shop. After riding 3000 miles since2022 just back and forth from the shop they still look like new tires.Thies are 770c x40mm. So I just checked our supplier and a 26 x1.95" weights 690grams. I can get the for under $20.
Thoughts?
I think its surprising that you work in a shop and have 0 idea on what are relatively common tires.
If you want to put Kenda Komfort tires on because another bike of yours has em, ok do it- you have experience with em and clearly dont mind the weight, rolling resistance, or hard material.

Wild that you are asking about GK tires now that I know you work in a shop. They are one of the most commonly used gravel tires for the last decade. Surely co-workers would have experience riding, selling, or seeing them and would weigh in. Seems better than the internet?...but at the same time, you now want to put some plastic feeling Kendas on, so what I think would be a logical first step is clearly not important.
Old 03-08-24, 03:23 PM
Tandem Tom

Though we have a number of tires to select from touring is not common so other than Schwalbe tires I don't have a real life touring situation to ask about other tires.
Yes we carry and sell Gravel Kings but the customers that buy them don't do any touring.
Old 03-08-24, 07:16 PM
wayold

Bikes: Tallboy, Domane, old 90s MTB beater/grocery-getter, and a new franken-gravel experiment based on a Sirrus x 5.0.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr

The consistent complaint about GK tires, and I fully experienced this, is that they are atrocious to set up tubeless. Panaracer's standards were horrible for years and the tires were entirely too floppy so it was tough to get the bead to seat on the shelf.
Panaracer just announced new GK tires with a full redesign, and its way past due. The new tires are supposed to actually set up easily on tubeless rims.
New models will be in 5mm increments, so 35mm, 40mm, and 45mm.

I am guessing there is a decent sale on GK tires because vendors are trying to get rid of their stock of the old models.
I just recently put GK SS 43s on my gravel bike, and contrary to popular opinion, they were almost impossibly tight. I've mounted many tires over the years, but I just couldn't get these on the rim and eventually had to do the walk of shame to the LBS. Once on they set up tubeless very easily. I'm assuming these were the old style GKs since I got them really cheap ($32 each from Universal Cycles).
Old 03-08-24, 07:21 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Though we have a number of tires to select from touring is not common so other than Schwalbe tires I don't have a real life touring situation to ask about other tires.
Yes we carry and sell Gravel Kings but the customers that buy them don't do any touring.
For what it's worth, I have found that a tire works the same for touring as it does for gravel and road riding.
Old 03-08-24, 07:33 PM
Tandem Tom

Not sure that is completely accurate. The gravel riding guys we servive don't typically carry the weight and amount of gear for the extended period of week after week of riding. So the durability issue of the tire is a key factor.
Old 03-08-24, 10:18 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Not sure that is completely accurate. The gravel riding guys we servive don't typically carry the weight and amount of gear for the extended period of week after week of riding. So the durability issue of the tire is a key factor.
I've been 210 to 225# over the last few years. My 43mm GK SS tires carried me as well as my 23# gravel bike perfectly fine for years.

There is 0 meaningful difference between me on that gravel bike and a 175# person with a 30# traditional touring bike and 20# of gear and food. Given the variance in total system weights and it being a total unknown for each of the people that have responded to you, just trust that GK tires competently and easily handle way more than 250# of weight and tires don't care if the weight is on the rider or bike.
Also, tires don't care that they get ridden every day- be it road, gravel, or touring tires.

You mention tire durability. Do you think purpose build gravel tires by default lack durability? The Marathon Supreme tires you plan to replace are not inherently more durable than any number of commonly popular quality gravel tires.

As an experienced touring cyclist and shop employee, I am sure none of this is new.
Old 03-09-24, 05:53 AM
Tandem Tom

You make a good point!I will order a pair for my bike. Thanks!