Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Got my commuter MTB stolen today.. :(

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-13, 11:18 PM
Stix Zadinia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

..Just outside a McDonalds, in a small neighboring town. Literally must have taken the thieve(s) seconds, because I parked it right in front of where I was seating. Alas, it was beginning to get dark (6:30-7pm) so even though I kept visually checking every now and then, the minute and a half that took me to go to the bathroom to take a wiz before returning to the city, that's all it took them to steal it. Must have been with a plier or some other large cutter tool, because I locked the frame on two posts with a regular, mid-size combination lock.

The employee in charge of security came out and told me he was going to go over the surveillance tape (as there was a camera pointed at the bikes). He came back sometime later and said the was able to see a number of bicycles leaving and parking -that was bs, all the same bikes (except two next to mine) were still there-. He refused to tell me whether he saw anything strange or not, also didn't allow me to see the tape. He said I should make all the proper paperwork before police could get a hold of the tape.
The security guard was just plain annoying, he just kept blabbering maybe I didn't have it locked, that only cars were important to watch, etc.

Going to have to skip going over to clients tomorrow in order to go to the police, file the report, head back to that other town by bus and hand the police there a copy of the report, also write a letter to McDonalds for them to give the tape to the authorities, etc.

I'm obviously not holding my breath with any of this. Ironically, the fact that this other town is much smaller makes it a hot spot for bike thieves (I was told by 2 different policeman after the fact), since a lot more people use them for transportation through the countryside and such (I live in a big capital city).

For some months I planned to get a Kryptonite U-lock, a security cable, and a GPS tracking device.. But I kept on just pushing the expense

I'm feeling right now as if I'd just wanna get up tomorrow and purchase whatever new bike immediately just to get the sour taste away from me.. I'm going to have to get my hands on another bicycle very soon anyway, as I've made it my main mode of transportation, and I depend on it for freelance work.

On the plus side (trying to see some silver lining here), I'll finally have a chance to get a Specialized 29er and a bigger frame or a better fit (the one on my bike always felt a tad small, although made the bike very maneuverable). The bike wasn't all that expensive (fortunately) and I plan to get something similarly priced (perhaps a couple hundred bucks more expensive though if it's a 29er). Perhaps I could manage to buy two bikes now (the second one with the insurance refund, even though that one would have to be another Trek, which doesn't do it much for me aesthetically nowadays).

I DEFINITELY plan to become redundant about security and spare no expense in that area, and stop even less for anything other than arriving at my work destinations.

Well anyway, sorry for the long vent, I'd really appreciate some comforting words or advice, I could certainly use them right now, from people who love their bikes as much as I did mine..

Last edited by Stix Zadinia; 04-16-13 at 11:51 PM.
Old 04-16-13, 11:21 PM
Erwin8r

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bike thieves are the scum of the earth.

I like your bright side--if you can afford a new bike, go for it!
Old 04-16-13, 11:29 PM
alexaschwanden
Bike rider

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh Clubman

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That sucks, i hope you get another great bike. Keep on biking.
Old 04-16-13, 11:30 PM
Stix Zadinia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Erwin8r
Bike thieves are the scum of the earth.

I like your bright side--if you can afford a new bike, go for it!
Well I pretty much have to, but I feel like it's irresponsible for me to buy another bike right away, as I still don't have the proper security for it, and now the money is going to go on spending for the new bike..

In other words, I know I'm going to feel rather crappy about buying a new bike .. not excited and happy, as when I bought my first -and now defunct- one.

And I agree with you 110%; thieves are the scum of society.. damn parasites!

Last edited by Stix Zadinia; 04-16-13 at 11:54 PM.
Old 04-17-13, 12:06 AM
Medic Zero

Bikes: Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sorry to hear it! I'd be crushed if my commuter MTB was stolen, I've put a lot of work and money into customizing it exactly the way I want. The upside might be that I really enjoy that process of researching just the parts I want, tracking them down, getting them in the mail, and slowly building the bike up to the way I want. I'm actually a little sad that I'm nearly done modifying my current rig.

Good hunting on getting a new bike!

P.S. No blame, but I'm a little confused about how you locked it up, could you elaborate a little?
Old 04-17-13, 12:20 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
I hate Mcdonalds for more reasons than their food and environmental policies.
Old 04-17-13, 12:55 AM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
i think Ronald did it. and it wouldn't be the first time either...

Old 04-17-13, 01:27 AM
Stix Zadinia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I almost got bananas and natural grape juice on a quick-mart I stopped at first.. but no, I had to go and load up on crap instead..

There's my punishment, I guess.
Old 04-17-13, 01:45 AM
acidfast7
Banned

not saying that i blame you for hitting mcds:

Old 04-17-13, 01:53 AM
saxdiva
Über Geek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's a major drag. Hope it's found, and if not I hope you end up with a great new ride.
Old 04-17-13, 07:24 AM
droy45
tougher than a boiled owl

Bikes: Fetish Cycles Fixation / Fuji S12S / Gary Fisher MTB / Raleigh Grand Prix / Ross Professional / Kent comfort cruiser

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Very sorry to hear that. Stopping and leaving it is the worst thing especially after dark. I try not to do that at all because I only use mine for commuting and recreational riding. I do not do errands on it. I have never had any problem yet with mine being outside my office window just cable locked through the wheels. Hope you can get a new one soon and use one of those thick cable locks and tie it to some pole if you have to.
Old 04-17-13, 08:58 PM
Stix Zadinia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the support and the humor everyone

Just to update on the story, had to go today in between both cities doing paperwork stuff, the bike is pretty much gone, along with any hope of finding it I think; finally when I had all the paperwork done I went to the LBS where I bought the bike, the sales guy there told me the theft insurance only covered violent theft (which wasn't my case, obviously).
He was the same guy who sold me the bike over a year ago; he was very sympathetic and nice, and even told me (in a kind of a whispering) how I should redo the police report in my own city (as I did it where it was stolen) but this time saying I was mugged, so as to make the insurance effective..

That I'd rather not do, because with the luck I'm having this week (just spilled a huge glass of orange juice all over me as I'm typing this) I could end up charged with insurance fraud/lying on a public paper, etc etc. No thanks.

Went to the bike shops late in the afternoon today, to start exploring my options.
Old 04-17-13, 09:06 PM
Stix Zadinia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also if a mod could be so kind as to remove an 'm' from the thread title? (commuting with three m)..

Sorry for the typo, I could not think straight yesterday
Old 04-17-13, 09:16 PM
krobinson103

Bikes: Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In the same boat. Fortunately it was cheap commuting hybridx Got another for 60 bucks and fixed it u to be rideable and comfy. Ugly as sin, but maybe that was mistake before. Pretty = stolen.
Old 04-17-13, 09:52 PM
Stix Zadinia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't get over looking at pretty bikes yet. Damn.

I think what I'm going to do with my next bike is get some GPS satellite tracking service.
That, and never stopping for food anymore (always pack it from home and eat on the way).
Old 04-17-13, 11:00 PM
dvald001

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My brother just got a nice Jamis Nova off of Craigslist. He was so excited about it after taking it on a ride with me and my dad that later that week he took it with him to explore the new city he's living in. He stopped off to grab some food from a restaurant ... only to return to find it gone. He got a ride and a half out of it. Ouch.
Old 04-17-13, 11:56 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Very sorry to hear about it.

If you are going to be car free, buy two bicycles. A regular one and a "beater". It's always good to have a spare. And most beaters are less likely to get stolen because they are dumpy. Beater does not imply that it's on its last legs, but rather usually a shabby appearance hides some lower end but solid running gear. Mine is a late '80s mountain bike, hard tail that's been streetified with slicks and fenders as well as lights and a rack.

Definitely go to the police, fast. Dot the i's and cross the t's, if for no other reason to annoy the McD manager. But do it fast before they reuse the tapes. Evidence they don't have can't be used against them when it comes to liability. Good luck.

Insurance fraud is a poor idea, so ignore the dealer. That advice tells you a lot about his character.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Last edited by Artkansas; 04-18-13 at 12:01 AM.
Old 04-18-13, 12:15 AM
acidfast7
Banned

does homeowner's/renter's insurance cover it? in Texas and Frankfurt it did/does as long as one filed a police report.

IF is a horrible idea.
Old 04-18-13, 01:03 AM
aidzbelty

Bikes: '13 Norco Yorkville

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hope you get to ride soon, and I guess it's still ok to make quick stops, given that the bike is locked before leaving it alone..

Call me paranoid, but I prefer to think of the worst possible scenario every time than letting my guard down for a moment, which just enough time for something bad to happen..

Not to rub it in, but I guess it's better to invest $100+ on a good lock, than spending 5-10 times to replace a stolen bike..
Old 04-18-13, 10:02 AM
agent pombero
Mmm hm!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That really sucks. Not enough thieves meet the bikes owner for a brutal beatdown, like what happened to Keith Kirk:

https://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/nationa...loody-beatdown

Mess with a mans steed and ya get blessed with a few spurs to the face!

Seriously. Bike theft is a HUGE problem all over. It is highly discouraging for people who want to get into cycling. I know several people who don't want to commute because they're afraid their bicycle will be stolen. And who could blame them? Here in Portland many bike thieves are professionals, only targeting high end bikes and components. The common remedy is "get a beater bike". But who wants to ride a $200 Craigslist bike over their $1000+ plush cruisin' steed? Beater bikes are not generally of good quality/comfort and make riding a chore. The nicer the bike encourages me to ride it more.

/Rant

May you ride again quickly, Stix Zadinia!
Old 04-18-13, 11:14 AM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Bike theft makes me sick to my stomach. Even if I lost my winter-beater, I'd be devastated.

Good for you that you have the strength to get another and move on.
Old 04-18-13, 04:18 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
i don't understand. do they steal them just to sell them again to some unsuspecting person? or is there like a seedy underworld black market for bike parts, and your bike is somewhere in a dank garage up on cinder blocks? i mean, do people go into dark alleys to buy derailleurs from the inside of some guy's trench coat?
Old 04-18-13, 04:20 PM
agent pombero
Mmm hm!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yes, of course there is an underground economy for stolen bicycles
Old 04-18-13, 04:25 PM
Nomad_

Bikes: Trek 7.2FX Disc, Ironhorse cyclops.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Agent Pombero thankyou for that post. Not to much worse in this world then thieves.

OP definitly spring for a kyrpto lock of some sort. Their good Ulocks are guarenteed up to 1.5k IIRC, they have some higher end NY ones i havent seen, so maybe insured for even more, and as you get lighter and cheaper locks they are guarenteed for less. Even the cables I believe are 500ish, well worth the 20-40 bucks.
Old 04-18-13, 04:31 PM
apollored

Bikes: Apollo Revival Mountain Bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Where high end bikes get sold for next to nothing.

So sorry you lost your bike, sickening feeling to see a big space where your bike should have been but dont feel bad about getting a new one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.