Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

setting screws in forward facing droputs

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-13, 03:38 PM
corwin1968

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts

My new bike has forward facing dropouts and small screws to set the spot where the rear axle goes. These are simply screws with no springs, nuts, or anything else and it doesn't take much for them to turn and become loose. I'm a bit intimated by getting the rear wheel back in straight so I want those little screws to be as solid a space marker as possible. Should I just screw them up tight against the axle? Should I loctite them in place? I'm leaning toward just loctiting them but I want to make sure there will be no detrimental effects from that.
Old 05-29-13, 05:31 PM
Al1943

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Is this actually a "new" bike or do you mean it is vintage bike new to you?

If you are going to use Locktite I would use blue #243
https://www.loctitesolutions.com/file...king_Guide.pdf

Some horizontal dropout set screws have a lock nut on the back to hold position. If yours don't have the lock nut I suppose you could add some.
Old 05-29-13, 05:42 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,584 Times in 1,432 Posts
I would not locktite these in, because they're fairly delicate and have a history of being problematic. Usually these have been retained with a spring like the ones in ball point pens. If they're straight, turn easily and you can remove them easily, take them out and fit a spring under the head so it's inside the dropout. Or turn them in one direction or another, put some stiff grease on the threads, and turn them back to carry the grease back in. This will prevent rust on the threads, and provide enough traction to keep them in place.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 05-29-13, 05:47 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
Blue Loctite could easily be too strong for such a long and small-diameter screw.

I recommend springs or the specifically low-strength version of threadlocker.

Alternately, I have used rubber vacuum hose tubing of precise enough length to compress slightly and hold adjustment for over 10 years.
You can sort of see one of them here, only about 1/4" long, with a washer under the screw head compressing the tubing:

Old 05-29-13, 06:23 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Adding locknuts is attractive not only because they will hold your adjustment but also in case the screw gets bent or broken off the nut will preserve enough of the screw that you will have something to grab to back the stub out with. A treatment with Vibra-tite VC-3 Threadmate will also help keep the screws from moving out of place yet allow easy adjustment.
Old 05-29-13, 06:56 PM
Airburst

Location: England, currently dividing my time between university in Guildford and home just outside Reading

Bikes: Too many to list here!

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
Apologies for going off-topic, but what on earth is that bike? Are those chains holding up some kind of rear rack? It doesn't seem to have a seat tube big enough for a standard seatpost either...
Old 05-29-13, 07:54 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
My first thought about D4's reply was "how long has he been saving that photo to post it". We could have a guessing game or he could post the rest of the bike's design. Perhaps a Pederson? Andy.
Old 05-30-13, 05:14 AM
corwin1968

I like the locknut idea but where would I get them? Do hardware stores carry locknuts that small? I've got grease and can go that route if needed but prefer the locknut idea.

Also, this is a brand new frame.
Old 05-30-13, 05:39 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
"I like the locknut idea but where would I get them?"

My local Ace Hardware stocks a wide variety of metric hardware in stainless steel. Just bring one of the screws with you to match up the size/thread.
Old 05-30-13, 07:28 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
I just take those screws out.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-30-13, 08:04 AM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Perhaps a Pederson?
No perhaps about it.

Old 05-30-13, 08:18 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I just take those screws out.
No, they do make rear wheel installation a lot less fiddly if set properly. Nice to have when you just repaired a flat along the road in the rain.

As noted, suitable locknuts are available at any hardware store that carries metric fasteners and most do these days. The bolts are typically M3 or M4. Also, if the OEM bolts are a lot longer than needed, you can replace them with shorter ones and reduce the chances of bending one.
Old 05-30-13, 08:29 AM
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!

Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
No, they do make rear wheel installation a lot less fiddly if set properly. Nice to have when you just repaired a flat along the road in the rain.

As noted, suitable locknuts are available at any hardware store that carries metric fasteners and most do these days. The bolts are typically M3 or M4. Also, if the OEM bolts are a lot longer than needed, you can replace them with shorter ones and reduce the chances of bending one.
Once you know the size of the fastener, you could remove the originals and save them, and replace them with new stainless fasteners that you cut to exact length so that they can be run all the way in and not have to worry about adjustment. Just a thought.
Old 05-30-13, 11:45 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
Cureous to know if the head is on the rear or facing the axle. Campagnolo has the adjustment from the rear, but the SunTour DO adjustment must be made prior to the axle being installed. Or.... am i missing something like the PO switched them?
Old 05-30-13, 04:33 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
Originally Posted by SJX426
Cureous to know if the head is on the rear or facing the axle. Campagnolo has the adjustment from the rear, but the SunTour DO adjustment must be made prior to the axle being installed. Or.... am i missing something like the PO switched them?
The only DP adjusting screws (maybe bolts is a better term) that I know of that had no outside the slot heads were the Shimano UFs semi horizontals. The screw was only about 1/2" long and it's range of adjustment was about 3/16". Otherwise classic horizontal DOs usually had a thumb knob or finger/wing nut on the outer end, unless it was lost or miss installed. Andy.
Old 05-30-13, 05:49 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Why not just buy new "dropout adjustment screws" (hint: this is a search term you could use to find 1,000,000 offerings, or just go to your favorite online or local shop). They will come complete with springs! And this set up has served 100,000,000 cyclists well for 50 years. Locktite, locknuts... bah, just get new stuff intended for the purpose, and splurge for the $5.00
Old 05-30-13, 05:55 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
My first thought about D4's reply was "how long has he been saving that photo to post it". We could have a guessing game or he could post the rest of the bike's design. Perhaps a Pederson? Andy.
Airburst wrote:
"Apologies for going off-topic, but what on earth is that bike? Are those chains holding up some kind of rear rack? It doesn't seem to have a seat tube big enough for a standard seatpost either..."

I've posted it in a few threads by now, but since they aren't usually made for or thought of in terms of racing, here's another couple of views of my racing Pedersen:

Old 05-30-13, 06:10 PM
corwin1968

Originally Posted by Camilo
Why not just buy new "dropout adjustment screws" (hint: this is a search term you could use to find 1,000,000 offerings, or just go to your favorite online or local shop). They will come complete with springs! And this set up has served 100,000,000 cyclists well for 50 years. Locktite, locknuts... bah, just get new stuff intended for the purpose, and splurge for the $5.00
For one thing, I'm having trouble visualizing how the springs would work. One poster said they are inside the dropout but wouldn't they just pop out when the wheel was removed? Are they on the portion of the bolt that is between the back side of the dropout and the head of the screw?
Old 05-30-13, 07:14 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Originally Posted by corwin1968
For one thing, I'm having trouble visualizing how the springs would work. One poster said they are inside the dropout but wouldn't they just pop out when the wheel was removed? Are they on the portion of the bolt that is between the back side of the dropout and the head of the screw?

The normal assembly has the springs and screw head inside of the dropout slot.

A threaded cap is then tightened onto the rearward-pointing tip of the screw, making it externally adjustable.

I sometimes use a common 3mm nut on the end of the screw, held in place with LocTite. This for when the cap goes missing.
On the cap nut, the threaded hole doesn't go all the way thru, and the thing is knurled instead of a hex.
Old 05-31-13, 09:20 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
The normal assembly has the springs and screw head inside of the dropout slot.

A threaded cap is then tightened onto the rearward-pointing tip of the screw, making it externally adjustable.

I sometimes use a common 3mm nut on the end of the screw, held in place with LocTite. This for when the cap goes missing.
On the cap nut, the threaded hole doesn't go all the way thru, and the thing is knurled instead of a hex.

What he said. Here's a couple of pictures from the quick search I did:

Last edited by Camilo; 05-31-13 at 10:00 PM.