Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vintage Campy lever question

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Vintage Campy lever question

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-15, 02:20 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Vintage Campy brake-only lever question

Short question: What's the deal on the Campy brake levers I see that seem to be non-aero in shape, but have either been originally sold or converted to aero type and the cable exit hole on the hoods plugged? Was this a factory thing, or after market? Time frame? Functionality? How was it done?

Long version:
As per previous posts, I'm transitioning my mid-80s Sannino which I built up with mostly parts on hand 9 speed Dura Ace indexed DT shifting. I like indexed DT shifting so I'm going to 8 speed Campy indexed downtube shifting. I have all the drive train parts assembled, except a crank. I'm being patient and will use the DA compact until I can find a silver Campy compact with the aesthetics and price that moves me off center). This is not an "as original" build which would have been mid-80s friction shift Record, or one of the two lesser groups from that period... I think that frame came in three versions, depending on group. I'm just building it with something that looks kind of period correct and still gives me the features I want. I plan to use a Jtek shiftmate (which was hard to find!) with my silver Velocity Shimano-hubbed wheels unless it just doesn't work well.

I have the 8 speed indexed shifters and the derailleurs I have are Record 8 speed or compatible early 9 speed. I found some Record calipers that as far as I can tell are also from that same late 80s-early 90s era. I also have a "Racing Triple" RD that I believe will work with the shifters if the Record RD wont take up enough chain for the very low gear my old legs and steep hills require.

TO THE LEVERS: I may or may not change the levers since I really like the fit/feel of my Cane Creek levers with the Soma Hw1 bars. Everything's silver, so it won't look awful. Maybe I'll just try to put some gum hoods on the levers to make them look more vintage-ish. But I'm also thinking of going with some Campy levers, again waiting patiently until I find the right combination of decent looking for a decent price.

So....... if I see those levers that are non-aero levers but converted to aero, is this a normal thing from that pre-Ergo 8 speed era? Are they perfectly functional in aero mode or should they really be used with external cable routing? (which has it's appeal too)

Last edited by Camilo; 03-21-15 at 02:28 PM.
Old 03-21-15, 02:31 PM
gioscinelli 

Bikes: 2012 Moots VaMoots-74 Peugeot Mixtie U018-73 Peugeot U018

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
If I understand the question about Campagnolo aero brake levers and non aero brake levers in that the non areo brake lever cable and housing is routed through the top and the body is design for that specific purpose. With Campagnolo aero brake levers, there's a part to guide the cable though the brake lever body and you can also use the aero brake levers to route through the top, that's why there's a plug in case you decide to go aero.
Here's a photo:

Hope this helps? Mike
Attached Images
Old 03-21-15, 02:32 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
there was a particular lever that was able to be converted , it was unique , you could try to bodge something your self .

I'm perfectly happy with the old levers , as is, or Modolo , the nice anatomic 919 hoods fit both ..

I used an old campag lever on Nitto Mustache Bars just took them apart and painted the grey Body Black , they worked fine..
Old 03-21-15, 03:07 PM
Camilo

Originally Posted by gioscinelli
If I understand the question about Campagnolo aero brake levers and non aero brake levers in that the non areo brake lever cable and housing is routed through the top and the body is design for that specific purpose. With Campagnolo aero brake levers, there's a part to guide the cable though the brake lever body and you can also use the aero brake levers to route through the top, that's why there's a plug in case you decide to go aero.
Here's a photo:

Hope this helps? Mike
Yea, I've also seen those packs of parts (plugs + metal thingy). What you say makes sense.

I'm wondering are these the only type of aero brake levers that Campy made before changing over to Ergo shift/brake levers?

Should I be looking for something else, or are these just fine.

Thanks for the reply
Old 03-21-15, 03:12 PM
gioscinelli 

Bikes: 2012 Moots VaMoots-74 Peugeot Mixtie U018-73 Peugeot U018

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Yes, before the induction of aero brake levers, the previous version were Nuovo and Super Record and their offspring's.
Originally Posted by Camilo
Yea, I've also seen those packs of parts (plugs + metal thingy). What you say makes sense.

I'm wondering are these the only type of aero brake levers that Campy made before changing over to Ergo shift/brake levers?

Should I be looking for something else, or are these just fine.

Thanks for the reply
Old 03-21-15, 03:28 PM
Camilo

Thanks again gioscinelli

For posterity and future searchers, here's some information on the topic I found in another forum.

campag neophyte seeks brake lever info...