Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Ksyrium Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-23, 09:00 PM
Irishred

Bikes: Tour Easy; Salsa Marrakesh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 14 Posts
Ksyrium Wheels

What is the best way to true Ksyrium wheels without a spoke wrench/key made for these wheels?
Also- any suggestions as to where I might be able to pick up one of those spoke wrenches/keys?
Old 09-28-23, 08:26 AM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 191 Posts
There is no generic equivalent tool. If you try using some other tool, you can damage the splines.

If memory serves, the Ksyrium uses an M7 nipple.

The proper wrenches are the Mavic M40652 (star shaped) or the Park SW-13 (open-ended wrench).

For the Park, that would be the smaller end of this tool: https://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-SW-.../dp/B000YBHOOA
Old 09-28-23, 07:24 PM
Irishred

Thank you!
Old 09-28-23, 07:28 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4367 Post(s)
Liked 4,006 Times in 2,675 Posts
Always use the proper tools for the job. In the quest to save money you will end up costing yourself more money and doing some good damage to your wheels.
Old 09-28-23, 10:14 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 934 Posts
In my admittedly limited experience with Mavic "nipple threads into spoke bed" type construction, I've never had one not explode & pull through upon any rotation of the nipple. The tension is very high from the get-go & corrosion on untreated bare metal threads destroyes any sembelance of integrity in short order after the wheel leaves the factory.

This is one case where I'd leave "well enough" alone. There just isn't enough thickness and enough threads to have integrity beyond the wheels initial build even if they did take proper corrosion prevention measures. It truly is a one & done type situation.

Last edited by base2; 09-28-23 at 10:18 PM.
Old 09-29-23, 07:15 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 589 Times in 412 Posts
I disagree with leave well enough alone unless perhaps you are in a very wet area like the PNW. If the out of true gets bad enough rim to pad and or tire to frame/fork can result in stuttering or worse lockup. In very wet situations I can see with the aluminum rim and stainless steel nipple there is a risk of galvanic corrosion lockup but not in much of the country. If only a few spokes are frozen they can be drilled out without damage to the rim.
Old 09-29-23, 11:30 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Originally Posted by easyupbug
I disagree with leave well enough alone unless perhaps you are in a very wet area like the PNW. If the out of true gets bad enough rim to pad and or tire to frame/fork can result in stuttering or worse lockup. In very wet situations I can see with the aluminum rim and stainless steel nipple there is a risk of galvanic corrosion lockup but not in much of the country. If only a few spokes are frozen they can be drilled out without damage to the rim.
You are aware that the nipple itself screws into threads cut into the spoke bed, correct? The Mavic nipple that uses that wrench functions more like a bolt. Wheels constructed that special spoke wrench do not have nipples that resemble standard nipples at all. Repair would require something akin to a Heli-coil installed into the newly created gaping hole in the rim...if such a thing were even possible. It is a very high risk, crack prone design that does not age well WRT maintainence/repair.

Mavic has several different designs of non-standard spoke/nipple combinations. I am happy to be wrong.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 09-29-23, 02:50 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Yes I am familiar with Mavic owning several over the years but agree not for the less mechanical in wet environments. I have only dealt with the easy cases of stuck nipples where all I had to do was cut the spoke, grind it down to the treads, drill a hole for the Easyout bolt/screw extractor to get the nipple out just like any frozen bolt. Since lubing the threads with Super Lube I or my PNW family have not had a problem. My son-in-law in Vancouver WA had to drill and then carefully grind out the nipple until it collapses and then clean the threads with a tap.
Old 09-29-23, 03:34 PM
Irishred

I am wondering why Mavic has discontinued making the Ksyrium wheels.
Old 10-01-23, 05:36 PM
easyupbug 

Originally Posted by Irishred
I am wondering why Mavic has discontinued making the Ksyrium wheels.
Why would you say this? Just looked at the Mavic web site and several are shown.
Old 10-01-23, 06:56 PM
Irishred

European is the only one I could find, and it's been a long time since I've seen them in any bike shops in the U.S.- that's why.
Old 10-01-23, 09:32 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Originally Posted by Irishred
European is the only one I could find, and it's been a long time since I've seen them in any bike shops in the U.S.- that's why.
The two brothers or whoever that own Mavic got into a fight with each other over some stupid petty matter. Discontinuance of distribution to the US was the fallout.

I'm sure there are other details and someone with more intel will enlighten us all. In the meantime though, the fact remains. Mavic is not interested in the likes of us.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 10-05-23, 08:01 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
This may help:Bicycle Retailer News

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/indu...vermont-office

Mavic returns to North America with Vermont office

Published September 21, 2023

by Steve Frothingham

WATERBURY, Vt. (BRAIN) — Mavic, which was acquired in 2020 out of receivership by the French investment group Bourrelier, has had no presence in the U.S. market since at least that time, leaving retailers and consumers to struggle to find repair parts and service.

Now the legendary French brand has opened an office in Vermont, which will handle sales and service in North America.

“We are thrilled to be back in the USA to address the needs of our North American customers with our new Mavic Service Center in Waterbury, Vermont,” said Jean-Michel Bourrelier, CEO of Mavic USA. “We are also very excited to unveil many new products in the coming months, relevant to the U.S. market and local riders. We hope that American gravel, mountain and road riders will be able to experience our new wheel technologies and discover our new apparel that celebrate the long-standing history of our brand.”

Mavic North America

https://www.mavic.com/en-us

Address: 5 Pilgrim Park Rd, Waterbury Village Historic District, VT 05676
Likes For Garfield Cat: