Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

What Bike/Fitness Magazines do you subscribe to?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-11, 06:15 AM
Zoxe

Bikes: Giant Cypress DX, Bianchi Imola, Surly Cross Check 105, Twin6 Standard TI FSU

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 22 Posts

I finally got off my butt and subscribed to a couple magazines I'd been picking up at the grocery store every few months.

1. Bicycle Times. If you haven't seen it, go find it. It's a reasonable compromise between gear snobbery and N+1-ism and commuter biking. Mrs. Zoxe started requesting it, so it can't be too bad.

2. Men's Fitness. Thinner than Men's Health, but seems to have fewer articles about 99 Great Sex moves. I don't need Cosmo for men.
Old 08-21-11, 06:27 AM
Cychologist
Getting older and slower!

Bikes: Trek Domane 6 series Project One, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Trek XO1, Specialized Turbo Vado 6.0

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I take Bicycle Times, Bicycling and Outdoors. But I get less and less out of them. Seems like they run the same articles every few months.
Old 08-21-11, 06:34 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I subscribe to Outside. Men's Journal shows up although I don't remember subscribing to it.

Old 08-21-11, 08:27 AM
Rhodabike

Bikes: Reynolds 531P road bike, Rocky Mountain Metropolis, Rocky Mountain Sherpa 10, Look 566

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't subscribe, because subscriptions usually turn up weeks later than the bookstore issue, but I like a U.K. magazine called Cycling Active. It's aimed at the average bike enthusiast and has articles on everything from commuting to sportive riding. Not that there's much sportive/fondo type activity where I live, but it's just an enjoyable read, with very in-depth bike reviews. There's a bit of cheeky humor in it as well.
Old 08-21-11, 11:25 AM
flippin_bikes

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bicycle times seems to be less after the uber roadie audience and geared more towards commuter/general fitness cyclists. Supposedly, Bicycling was going to shift it's focus more towards the average rider. I may pick back up with my subscription to Bike if I can raise the funds for another mountain bike.
Old 08-21-11, 12:45 PM
DEK

Bikes: '11 Felt Z85

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Subscriptions to Bicycling, Bicycle Times and Road Bike Action.
Old 08-21-11, 09:05 PM
ed strodtman

Bikes: 2001 Lemond Poprad cyclocross bike set up to ride on both pavement and rough gravel roads

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bicycling, Bicycle Times, and Road Bike Action. I'm a ***** for street bicycle magazines.
Old 08-21-11, 09:25 PM
Paul01

Bikes: Vitus 979, KHS Montana Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Velo News
Old 08-21-11, 09:43 PM
TheTreauth

Bikes: 2011 Giant Rapid 3, 2001 Schwinn Mesa GSX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess I haven't subbed any cycling mags because I just assume they're mostly gear snobbing/marketing and I'm not rich so I didn't bother. Going to watch this thread for recommendations.
Old 08-21-11, 11:46 PM
jedrek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went to a local book store (I live in a city of 2mln+), paged through a bunch of really nice, good looking bike magazines and found absolutely nothing I'm interested in. I don't even know what I could get out of them, seeing as how I'm not interested in cycling as a spectator sport.
Old 08-21-11, 11:51 PM
ecovelo

Bikes: 1992 Trek 950, 1994 Canondale M600, 2000 Cannondale C300, 2004 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2010 Salsa Vaya, 2013 Jamis Dragon - Team Issue, 2019 Salsa Timberjack, 2020 Tern Vektron

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Bicycle Times - doesn't come soon enough for me - usually read it cover to cover very quickly.

Natural Health - has some fitness articles in every issue.

Bicycling - although I'm not a subscriber. I seem to get it free every year... I think perhaps from giving to advocacy/cycling groups, but I'm not exactly sure. Thumb through it then usually it ends up at work.
Old 08-22-11, 06:31 AM
bautieri
Downtown Spanky Brown

Bikes: Motobecane Phantom Cross Pro Kona Lana'I

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some kids were selling magazine subscriptions to raise money for a mission, I ordered a two year subscription to Buycycling.

That was three years ago. They won't quit sending them to me. Every issue for the past 12 months has had a paper insert saying this is my last and final issue if I don't renew. I don't want to renew. It's the same crap hashed over and over again with occasional pearls of wisdom such as (and I kid you not): "If you want to reduce your exposure to car emissions, select roads with fewer cars". That's some ground breaking journalism there. Or the DIY issue (which prompted me to actually write to these knuckle draggers, oddly I didn't make letter of the month) where three of the DIY fixes suggested you take your bike to the shop.
Old 08-22-11, 06:42 AM
ddr

Bikes: Haro V-1, Brompton Nickel H6R

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been reading through some of these.

https://momentumplanet.com/magazine

Most of the content is online but you can also subscribe to a print version. It seems to be pointed at mostly commuters and casual riders.
Old 08-22-11, 06:59 AM
Neil_B

Originally Posted by bautieri
Some kids were selling magazine subscriptions to raise money for a mission, I ordered a two year subscription to Buycycling.

That was three years ago. They won't quit sending them to me. Every issue for the past 12 months has had a paper insert saying this is my last and final issue if I don't renew. I don't want to renew. It's the same crap hashed over and over again with occasional pearls of wisdom such as (and I kid you not): "If you want to reduce your exposure to car emissions, select roads with fewer cars". That's some ground breaking journalism there. Or the DIY issue (which prompted me to actually write to these knuckle draggers, oddly I didn't make letter of the month) where three of the DIY fixes suggested you take your bike to the shop.
They certainly took the ginger out of Bike Snob NYC. His Buycycling column is bland in a way I didn't think he could manage.

Old 08-22-11, 07:01 AM
bautieri
Downtown Spanky Brown

Bikes: Motobecane Phantom Cross Pro Kona Lana'I

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Neil_B
They certainly took the ginger out of Bike Snob NYC. His Buycycling column is bland in a way I didn't think he could manage.
Yeah, the editors sure neutered him.
Old 08-22-11, 07:07 AM
Neil_B

Originally Posted by bautieri
Yeah, the editors sure neutered him.
Or an ill-fitting saddle did it. :-)

Old 08-22-11, 08:25 AM
bautieri
Downtown Spanky Brown